Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cstone94

Feb 20, 2017
That should work without any setup. Have you tried?
I have tried, yes. I have plugged in a CAT6 connection on ports 25-28. I have tried adding a fiber connection between my 1GBE HP Switches and the Quanta. I have used DAC between the DAC and Quanta. I cannot plug into the quanta switch and access other comptuers connected the HP Switches or the internet.

TheBloke

Feb 23, 2017
Brighton, UK
I have tried, yes. I have plugged in a CAT6 connection on ports 25-28. I have tried adding a fiber connection between my 1GBE HP Switches and the Quanta. I have used DAC between the DAC and Quanta. I cannot plug into the quanta switch and access other comptuers connected the HP Switches or the internet.
Re the fibre connection on 1GB - I don't believe this works? There's a lot of discussion early in this thread about how the SFP+ ports are for 10GB only. They don't support 1GB SFP.

Of course the CAT6 to the RJ45 1GB ports should work fine and should enable interconnect between the Quanta and a 1G switch.

The setup you describe sounds similar to what I recently bought my Quanta LB6M and LB4M for - I'll have all my household 1G going into the LB4M, plus 4 x 10G links from my main workstation and server/NAS into the LB6M. Then I'll interconnect the two switches.

In my case I should be able to uplink with 10G as my Quanta LB4M has 2 x 10G uplinks. But I'll be starting out using 1G RJ45 uplinks as I don't have all DACs I need yet.

Anyway, I haven't set this up yet but had planned to start looking into it tonight. I'll let you know if I have any problems. As per the other reply you got, I'm expecting it should just work immediately.

TheBloke

Feb 23, 2017
Brighton, UK
As expected no problem uplinking my Quanta LB4M to the LB6M using 1G RJ45 - stuff connected via 1G RJ45 to my LB4M can contact stuff connected via 10G to my LB6M, when the two switches are interconnected with 1G RJ45 (I used port 25 on the LB6M).

Default config on both switches.

@cstone94 if you're still having problems, give some more details on what you're doing. Are you doing anything more complicated, like VLANs? If not, maybe the first thing you should do is reset the LB6M to default - perhaps it's got some config on there from the previous owner?

cstone94

Feb 20, 2017
As expected no problem uplinking my Quanta LB4M to the LB6M using 1G RJ45 - stuff connected via 1G RJ45 to my LB4M can contact stuff connected via 10G to my LB6M, when the two switches are interconnected with 1G RJ45 (I used port 25 on the LB6M).

Default config on both switches.

@cstone94 if you're still having problems, give some more details on what you're doing. Are you doing anything more complicated, like VLANs? If not, maybe the first thing you should do is reset the LB6M to default - perhaps it's got some config on there from the previous owner?
No VLAN's, nothing out of the norm as far as a basic medium business network goes. I'd love to have someone call me and teamview while connected to the switch with putty of hyperterminal. I will reset the LB6M and see what happens.

cstone94

Feb 20, 2017
Wiped the configuration. I have CAT6 from a 1GBE switch to port 26, and Port 1 connected to File Server via Fiber to Mellanox PCI card. I have activity and it is trying to get an IP address but does not. Gives me unidentified network. I have tried DHCP and given it a static IP with no success.

EDIT:
I thought that the File Server's 2 1GBE connections that are setup for Teaming wouldnt interfere but they were. I added the 10GBE connection to the TEAM and boom, it works.... kinda...

As soon as it was added I was disconnected from the Remote connection... Went to the server and everything looked okay, still had access to the network, but when I browsed the file share, it was VERY slow... So I removed the 10GBE connection from the Team and it was back to normal.

Last edited:

cstone94

Feb 20, 2017
Fixed it! Connected Port 25 on the LB6M to my Firebox T70, added it to my Bridge that gives the 1GBE switches their network access, and voila!

henryn

May 3, 2017
We recently purchased this unit. I connected it to our network using one of the gigabit port however the port is not active. There is an alternating blue and red light on the left side of the unit. It's not pulling an IP. What does the blinking light mean?

cstone94

Feb 20, 2017
We recently purchased this unit. I connected it to our network using one of the gigabit port however the port is not active. There is an alternating blue and red light on the left side of the unit. It's not pulling an IP. What does the blinking light mean?
What are you plugging it into? Another switch?

henryn

May 3, 2017
What are you plugging it into? Another switch?
Yes a switch (our only one). I also tried holding the reset button at the back of the unit with no luck. The same alternating blue/red light in front. I ordered a console cable and will connect directly to see what the current config is.

cstone94

Feb 20, 2017
Yes a switch (our only one). I also tried holding the reset button at the back of the unit with no luck. The same alternating blue/red light in front. I ordered a console cable and will connect directly to see what the current config is.
That was my issue. You have to plug it into a router, modem, or security appliance. I could not set it up like you have it connected. Try connecting it to your router and see if that solves the issue.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
it's only going to "pull an ip" if you plug one of the management ports into your existing network and you have an active dhcp server.

henryn

May 3, 2017
it's only going to "pull an ip" if you plug one of the management ports into your existing network and you have an active dhcp server.
I did try ports 21 -24 and connected it to the main switch which is connected to a Sonicwall FW which is also set up as a DHCP server.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
they won't work. If you want the lb6m to grab itself an ip address, so that you can manage it, connect one of the mgmt ports (not the console port) to the SW.

henryn

May 3, 2017
they won't work. If you want the lb6m to grab itself an ip address, so that you can manage it, connect one of the mgmt ports (not the console port) to the SW.
Turns out what we have is a Delta Broadcom 10Gbe switch which has the same OS and is similar to the Quanta. The four gigabit ports on the right (which I used) should be management ports. The console port is at the back.

Delta Broadcom 10GbE 24-Port SFP+ 4x1GbE L3 Switch ET-DT7040 - Quanta LB6M Class | eBay

henryn

May 3, 2017
I was able to connect to the console using the Macbook and running show version gives the output below. How do I switch the Interface Status to Up?

(FASTPATH Routing) #show network

Interface Status............................... Down

IP Address..................................... 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask.................................... 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway................................ 0.0.0.0

Burned In MAC Address.......................... 00:30:AB:2A:FC:AF

Locally Administered MAC address............... 00:00:00:00:00:00

MAC Address Type............................... Burned In

Configured IPv4 Protocol....................... DHCP

Management VLAN ID............................. 1

(FASTPATH Routing) #show version

Switch: 1

System Description............................. DNI 7024F, 1.2.0.18, Linux

Machine Type................................... DNI 7024F

Machine Model.................................. DNI 7024F

Serial Number.................................. 24DL131220049

FRU Number.....................................

Part Number.................................... BCM56820

Maintenance Level.............................. A

Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00

Software Version............................... 1.2.0.18

Operating System............................... Linux 2.6.21.7

Network Processing Device...................... BCM56820_B0

--More-- or (q)uit

Additional Packages............................ FASTPATH QOS

YueLuo

Apr 5, 2017
Guangzhou China
If you have a DHCP server in your management vlan(default is vlan 1), you need to assign an IP to your switch through DHCP or use "network protocol none" and "network params <IP>" to get a static IP. You can then manage your switch through ports within your vlan.

The management port requires seperate configuration with "serviceport" commands (which are basically identical to "network"). This way you can manage your switch through the MGNT ports, no vlan setup is required.

I was able to connect to the console using the Macbook and running show version gives the output below. How do I switch the Interface Status to Up?

(FASTPATH Routing) #show network

Interface Status............................... Down

IP Address..................................... 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask.................................... 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway................................ 0.0.0.0

Locally Administered MAC address............... 00:00:00:00:00:00

MAC Address Type............................... Burned In

Configured IPv4 Protocol....................... DHCP

Management VLAN ID............................. 1

(FASTPATH Routing) #show version

Switch: 1

System Description............................. DNI 7024F, 1.2.0.18, Linux

Machine Type................................... DNI 7024F

Machine Model.................................. DNI 7024F

Serial Number.................................. 24DL131220049

FRU Number.....................................

Part Number.................................... BCM56820

Maintenance Level.............................. A

Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00

Software Version............................... 1.2.0.18

Operating System............................... Linux 2.6.21.7

Network Processing Device...................... BCM56820_B0

--More-- or (q)uit

Additional Packages............................ FASTPATH QOS