Why HP Sucks.... & how you can make my week better

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
Hey folks, I just got myself one of these

HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen9 QC E3-1240v5 3.50GHz 8GB-U 2LFF S-Buy-830698-S01
from here:
HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen9 QC E3-1240v5 3.50GHz 8GB-U 2LFF S-Buy-830698-S01 | eBay

Its a nice little unit and is destined to become my new Plex server. With a Passmark of over 10,000 and cost of $350 it seemed like a great deal
I was oh so happy when it arrived, it looks like it is completly new, I can't find any scratches or dust on it (or in in for that matter)!!!

BUT then I went to update the BIOS.... and have been remided by why I dislike HP (as a "basement lab user").
As I am sure most of you are aware, you can't perform a frigging bios update unless you have a frigging support contract AAAAaaaaahhhh !!!!
I will just leave it at; HP really sucks for having such a policy !@#$

Soooo, Now I am looking to beg, borrow or ste.... errr find a way to update the bios on this server.

Below is what I need. If anyone happens to be in a position to help me out (or point me in the right direction) it would be greatly appreciated. (please pm me if you want to keep it private)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* EDIT: Someone has graciously helped me out. Thank you so much. This place is awesome *
* Last edited: May 2, 2017
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* Its been almost two years so I went looking to update my BIOS Again.
* I was able to download individual firmware updates from the links below!
* But I had to push my Google Fu to a new level to fine the SPP which is still behind a paywall
* Last edited: Mar 8, 2019

USB Boot key Bios Update
Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

OR

Windows Bios Update
Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

Last edited:

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
This place is awesome, well one of you is especially awesome.
I think we can put a hold on the request for BIOS help as someone has helped me out.
I will post back shortly once the deed is done
EDIT: Bios has been successfully updated
But do please feel free to join my rant fest!

Last edited:
Reactions: Iain Stott

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
And I have recently acquired an HP Z420 workstation... First, the news about Intel AMT, then this one about the HP BIOS updates... On the other hand, E5-2660 v1 in this machine is awesome (I'm comparing to AMD FX-6300 machine, so bear with me here :D )

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Yeah, I'm jumping on this bandwagon, in the same boat with an old G6.
Do some internet search on the latest smartstart, i am 1000% posivitive there is an iso to be found, which not only updates your bios, but all firmware components ;)

Btw running 3 dl360 g6 here, without support contracts

Reactions: Iain Stott

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
Just downloaded the latest SPP and I do not have a service contract:
Service Pack for ProLiant | Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Nice, I had no idea this was available without a contract. Thanks for sharing!
EDIT: I Can't download anything here. Not working for me. Still says I need a contract.
From the page you linked: "NOTICE: Access to the SPP requires validation via the HPE Support Center. An active warranty or HPE support agreement is required to download the SPP."

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I still hit a paywall.

How am I supposed to curl it to the datacenter?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
May be different from different country of origin in terms of enforcement or maybe there is white listed domains ?

If I use a random serial that's under support to download is that ISO image some how marked ?? (Just for interests sake and knowledge not for actually doing it)

Was the lasted SPP released when I looked a couple of weeks ago was still 10.2016 rather than 4.2017 that I was expecting ?

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Nice, I had no idea this was available without a contract. Thanks for sharing!
EDIT: I Can't download anything here. Not working for me. Still says I need a contract.
From the page you linked: "NOTICE: Access to the SPP requires validation via the HPE Support Center. An active warranty or HPE support agreement is required to download the SPP."
Even though I can not download individual HP sever BIOS, for some reason it lets me download SPP's. Must be a glitch with their system or my profile.

Is your DL20 new or under 1 year old? If so you do not need a service contract to download, a current factory warrant is valid as well. You need to setup an account with HP support and register your sever with your profile:
Product Support - HPE Support Center

Unfortunately, the registration process does not always work and may require online chat with HP.

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
I checked my Serial number and my system is no longer under warranty. I may try that link again tomorrow via VPN from US (I an in Canada) to see if it is geo blocking thing. I now have my system updated with the latest firmware / Bios so not a concern at the moment but if its possible to find a place I can get updates in the future that would be ideal.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That's bogus. For non commercial use you should be able to have free reign.
I think it's worse than that, potentially they are restricting an update that is required for the product to work as advertised and sold.
With bugs like the intel AMT bug this will mean lots of systems have security holes as well.

On the other hand most cheap vendors never provide ever any updates, just look at a lot of android phones/devices or embedded Linux in some random cheap product. If people paying means it gets done then that's also a good thing in general.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
And this is why I prefer Dell over IBM or HP. Dell will let you download WTF you want :) No stupid licenses or 'activation keys' on their RAID or IMM's (well, other than iDRAC enterprise, but still).