TP-Link Switches on Amazon (1Gbps + 10Gbps models)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
It's 4 10Ge ports, not just 2. Yeah, at $254 it was a no brainier and I picked up a couple. I thought others would be jumping on this when I first posted, but guess not.
A couple, eh? I have a Netgear 48 port managed POE and a pair of Intel 10GB AT2 Server adapters I'll make you a heck of a bargain on. :D

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
A couple, eh? I have a Netgear 48 port managed POE and a pair of Intel 10GB AT2 Server adapters I'll make you a heck of a bargain on. :D
ha ha ha... sorry, i got a couple because i plan to use them. these switches can stack over the SFP+ links. I want to use that between the house and my future "data center shed" that I hope to build before end of year. Right now, I'm looking at getting Solar panels first.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I've seen them come up before, and somebody made a less than flattering comment about them. I'll see if I can find it. Hopefully it's a sign that price is dropping again.

Biznatch

Mar 20, 2017
So after using the TPlink for a couple weeks, it's useless as anything other than a dumb switch. The GUI is garbage and changing settings like VLANs cause it to become completely unreachable, requiring a full reset. Even then, there is a chance the GUI doesn't come back up.... No firmware updates either, unless they came out in the past week or 2. When I last checked, the latest update was months ago and already installed on the switch from factory.

So if you can wait, find a better brand used switch from ebay, unless you can live with a dumb switch.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
So after using the TPlink for a couple weeks, it's useless as anything other than a dumb switch. The GUI is garbage and changing settings like VLANs cause it to become completely unreachable, requiring a full reset. Even then, there is a chance the GUI doesn't come back up.... No firmware updates either, unless they came out in the past week or 2. When I last checked, the latest update was months ago and already installed on the switch from factory.

So if you can wait, find a better brand used switch from ebay, unless you can live with a dumb switch.
I pretty much need just a simple switch with LAG. Interested in selling it?

To clarify, I need a FANLESS switch with 4 10Gbe. LAG would be nice.

Last edited:

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
The Mikrotik Cloud Smart Switch 326-24G-2S+RM seems to be better for a 24 port unit unless you absolutely need 4x 10Gb. It seems like the new firmware supports LAG too.

SwOS 2.1 is now available on the Mikrotik download page. There's no changelog, but now there's a LAG tab in the GUI with options for passive/active/static per port.

Edit: Also appears to support SNMPv2 and 64-bit counters.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I already have a DAC between my two primary 10GBe devices. I have two more I want to add. If I didn't need the 4 10Gbe I'd go with the fanless 48 port. I hope to simplify while reducing noise and adding capacity.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Well, my impatience got the better of me. After reading the reviews on grooves I decided it wasn't worth it and went ahead and ordered the T1700G-28TQ from amazon. $365 to my door. That means it should drop in price tomorrow. ;)

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
How did you get that price? Showing $372.99+tax for me.
Thanks
Under other buying options (Link) "OneDealOutlet Online" had it listed for $365.

They've since up'ed their price to $372, but there is no shipping or tax on them.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
bumping this because I just noticed several of the switches I previously listed are now even cheaper! sadly, the T1700-28TQ hasn't dropped though. The T2600 is now cheaper than the T1600!!

Last edited:

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I'm still pretty happy with the T1700-28TQ at the $365 price point I bought it at. If it drops below $300 again, I'll pick up a second one.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm still pretty happy with the T1700-28TQ at the $365 price point I bought it at. If it drops below $300 again, I'll pick up a second one.
LOL... I bought these before you, but I still haven't opened mine yet; been too occupied with work and another project. what are your thoughts on the T1700-28TQ? I've deployed several of the T1600G-52TS and really like them; I do wish the crypto feature set was better, but it's adequate for such a low cost switch.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
LOL... I bought these before you, but I still haven't opened mine yet; been too occupied with work and another project. what are your thoughts on the T1700-28TQ? I've deployed several of the T1600G-52TS and really like them; I do wish the crypto feature set was better, but it's adequate for such a low cost switch.
I'm pretty happy with it so far. Honestly I haven't had the time to do more than setup jumbo frames and my LAGS, but the web gui is responsive and easy to navigate. Performance is good, it doesn't seem to hiccup at 10G speeds (5+TB copied in one rsync session).

The only thing that I'll pick at (a little) is the LED layout. The one LED for link and one LED for activity seems odd to me. I'm used to A single multipurpose LED. But, if THAT is all I have to complain about??

I am a little interested to see how performance is when I put a second unit in and stack them. It will be interesting to see how it changes the interface and if it can maintain speeds across the stacking cable.

OH! I almost forgot. I ran into the oddest thing. It won't accept a "complex" password for the user interface.

Complex = 11 Char long, 1 Spec Character, 2 Capitals, 6 Lower Case and 2 numbers.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Complex = 11 Char long, 1 Spec Character, 2 Capitals, 6 Lower Case and 2 numbers.
that's interesting, one of my TP-Link switches has an account password that is:

16 characters, 7 upper, 6 lower, 3 numbers, but i have no special chars.

Maybe it's the special chars that cause problems?

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
that's interesting, one of my TP-Link switches has an account password that is:

16 characters, 7 upper, 6 lower, 3 numbers, but i have no special chars.

Maybe it's the special chars that cause problems?
That would be my guess. I keep intending to submit a ticket for it, hoping against hope they'll fix it in an upcoming firmware.