Fusion-IO Firmware Update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
btw, should I except any control pantel for Fusion IO in windows or esxi? I've installed both packages and see nothing (except fio-* commands in console), is that ok? Same for windows. i was under impresssion that I'll get some GUI.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I never had a GUI on my old Fusion IO, I just got some IODrive 2 yesterday looking forward to updating htose and testing them out.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
btw, should I except any control pantel for Fusion IO in windows or esxi? I've installed both packages and see nothing (except fio-* commands in console), is that ok? Same for windows. i was under impresssion that I'll get some GUI.
By default, there's no gui for anything, just command-line for configuring/formatting the cards.

There is a gui package that provides all the same info via web page, it's called ioSphere or ioManager (depending on version) and is available as a download on sandisk's site. Home

Reactions: TedB and T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
From Sandisk.com - Downloaded 3.2.14 management with new 3.2.11 drivers and it puts card in in minimal state, and firmware on card is 6.0 it says, and that driver and firmware are not compatible.

It says someplace else that firmware version: 6 public 107004 not sure if that helps or means anything different.

I've now tried VSL Packages:
- 3.2.14 (latest)

None work with the firmware I have so far.

Going to download the remaining I didn't test, hopefully it works! LOL

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well, I downloaded them all (3.2.x) avaialble from Sandisk website, and everyone when I check status tells me not compatible with version 6.0 !?!?(And yes I uninstalled prior to installing new one, and at some point they don't let you overwrite or they do I forget, but I verified version with status, as well as in add remove programs so I know it changed with each test)

I have 3.1.1 downloading now, fingers crossed!

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
You need to upgrade to firmware version 7.1.17 which first shipped with 3.2.11.

Don't run VSL version 3.1.1, install 3.2.14 and then upgrade your firmware to 7.1.17 (fusion_3.2.11-20150618.fff)

Fimrware files from each vendor that are 7.1.17:
SanDisk: fusion_3.2.11-20150618.fff
Dell: dell_iodrive_3.2.11-20150618.fff
HPE: highiops_3.2.8-20140508.fff

-- Dave

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well, 3.1.1 is giving me data now ha ha wow, the OLDEST version!

This is gonna be fun updating to each new one, or can you skip anyone know?

@acquacow oh, ok nice! I didn't know I could update firmware from old version of driver! That would have been easy isntead of trying 9 different VSL packages, hahaha. I've got them organized and ready now though! LOL

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks, I copied your command: "fio-update-iodrive /dev/fctX c:\path\to\firmware.fff"
to update, it didn't work, looked at the help info and it's just missing the -d before the drive specification, just FYI for anyone else doing it via CL.

Updating now.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Rebooted as it said and it said it needed to "check consistency" because it was improperly shut down, which is odd since it just updated firwmare, etc, and I did a reboot in windows. 70% now, fingers crossed boots into windows fine and works ;) LOL!!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
And, working in windows :)

Time to update #2 and run some benchmarks and decide if I want to sell these lower capacity or stick them in another build :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@acquacow - Thanks for the help again! I did a quick test in Anvil 4K@QD4 104,000 IOPs (only tested 1 GB) this is the 384GB version of the card too, at QD16 was pushing 150k.

However, I formatted the card in windows NTFS @ 4K but when I do a fio-status -a it says it's low level formatted at 512b. Are we able to format these to 4K? 16k? etc depending on our workload, and if so we need to use fio-command to do it properly?

Thanks

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
The low level format has nothing to do with your filesystem blocksize. You can increase the low level block size, but you'll break compatibility with some apps like MSSQL and Oracle because they rely on a 512B low level block size.

Andreen

Apr 27, 2017
Allright, I've spent hours searching the web for an answer about something, stumbled on this thread and hope maybe you could help me, acquacow.

I've got a ESXi host (v6u2) running on a DL380 G7 and recently bought a HP IODrive. (HP 641027-B21 1.28TB ioDrive Duo)

I chose that one because I wanted to make sure I get HP branded stuff so I wouldn't have any issues with fans ramping up due to unrecognized hardware. The IODrive part # is listed as supported by the G7.

I installed it with the firmware and instructions on this page: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

Everything works well. The issue is that the fans started to ramp up (as expected when I first plugged it in). But it never went back to normal after the firmware updates. fio-status shows no issues.

The card shows in BIOS as not recognized. I must have missed something but I cannot for the life of me figure out what. The G7 is running every firmware update from the 2016.10 SPP. BIOS is the latest, P67.

Is there anything I can do?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Well, I downloaded them all (3.2.x) avaialble from Sandisk website, and everyone when I check status tells me not compatible with version 6.0 !?!?(And yes I uninstalled prior to installing new one, and at some point they don't let you overwrite or they do I forget, but I verified version with status, as well as in add remove programs so I know it changed with each test)

I have 3.1.1 downloading now, fingers crossed!
Just make sure you have a sandisk branded drive.
I've tried to use sandisk and it failed for me. When I used HP drives and flash - worked like a charm.

ps. wanted to answer that yesterday, but see that you guys figured out everything ;)

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Everything works well. The issue is that the fans started to ramp up (as expected when I first plugged it in). But it never went back to normal after the firmware updates. fio-status shows no issues.

The card shows in BIOS as not recognized. I must have missed something but I cannot for the life of me figure out what. The G7 is running every firmware update from the 2016.10 SPP. BIOS is the latest, P67.

Is there anything I can do?
I remember similar behavior with HP microserver and RAID cards. My guess that HP board can read temp from card and it's usually high (50-60 for my fusion io).
I'm running mine with ASUS board though, and looks like it don't care :)

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I remember there being a DL380 bios fix for that, but I have to see if I have it anywhere in my old notes on what it was...

There's no ILO or any other recognition of the card that is going to happen. That's an old Gen1 card and nothing like that existed for them back then.

You may actually be on the correct firmware, as the cards to require ~300LFM of airflow in a server in order to maintain operational temps. There were a lot of issues initially with cards write throttling due to overheating on low fan speed modes.