Holy Toledo Batman! That's one fast SSD Intel P4800X

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Stux we have two Optane systems setup in the lab. Personally, I think it is the best ZIL/ SLOG device around, however, you are going to run into other limitations quickly. For example, you really need a 40Gbps or faster fabric. Running FreeNAS is not optimal at those speeds. Great drive, but if you are not at the higher-end of the spectrum, just get a P3700. It was one of those projects that we realized that the P4800X was best suited to a higher-end demographic so we setup systems in DemoEval to let folks run their own workloads.

The two drives we have have been transitioned to NVMeoF based solutions e.g. Trends for Flash Memory Summit 2017 - ServeTheHome where we showed our 70/30 mixed workload as shown at ISC17 in Germany this year.

Availability is rough still. The large players are consuming so much of the supply that even adoption by major storage vendors seems to be slowed by supply concerns.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It’s really cool to see STH adopt tech at such a fast rate: already playing with NVMeoF is impressive.
Not really playing. The biggest issue is that 10GbE is not fast enough/ low enough latency for OPA.

The value came in providing the solution to others.

Reactions: Stux and gigatexal

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Using these as a cache device in any way sitting in front of a sata SSD capacity tier seems to make a lot of sense.
Intel added more sata to the latest scalable cpu, why ? Well I Guess this is one possible use.

Outside of storage platforms I guess these drives will certainly find a home in DB servers etc where cores are $$ and I/O is king.