Dell PowerEdge T710 (1CTXG) non-standard power usable with normal PSU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheBloke

Feb 23, 2017
Brighton, UK
Hi everyone

I am considering possibly replacing the Tyan S7012 motherboard in my 2U home fileserver/NAS to get more PCI-E slots. My current mobo has 4 x PCI-E 2.0 x8 + 1 x PCI-E 1.1 x4, but the x4 slot has turned out to be of even more questionable usage than 1.1 x4 would already suggest, as it comes from the highly-congested ICH10 chip.

I am therefore looking around for a dual-CPU LGA1366 motherboard with 18 x DIMM slots and at least 5 x PCI-E Gen2.0 x8 slots, ideally more, that I can get affordably used in the UK.

There's very few motherboards on eBay that fit this bill, but one has come up that theoretically looks perfect - a Dell 1CTX6, the motherboard for a Dell PowerEdge T710.

But I'm worried that it appears to be quite non-standard with regards to power. From photos appears to have two non-standard power inputs, 22 pin + 18 pin, instead of the usual 1 x 24-port ATX style power + 2 x 4-pin for CPUs.

Photo of an example mobo here, with power inputs in the bottom right:

I asked the seller about the power and he said the PowerEdge has a power distribution board, related to their dual hot-swap PSUs.

Has anyone had any experience of using one of these - or a similar Dell mobo - in a standard case with a standard PSU? I'm wondering if maybe some of those 22 + 18 pin power ports would actually map easily to a normal 24 pin + 4 pin + 4 pin power of a normal PSU? That's only 28 pins, but maybe the Dell has more because of the redundant PSU, and not all are needed - or some could be commoned together?

The more I write the more it's actually sounding like a massive pain. But if anyone knows more about this, or even has got such a thing to work, I'd be most grateful for the info.

I can't find any other suitable LGA1366 mobos in the UK at the moment (at least not at sane prices), so if I did want to go down the route of replacing the mobo this looks like be my only options right now. Therefore I'm willing to consider a moderate amount of messing about to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The more I write the more it's actually sounding like a massive pain. But if anyone knows more about this, or even has got such a thing to work, I'd be most grateful for the info.
Dell server motherboards use their own pinouts for power and front panel, and the pinouts aren't documented. Even different models within the same generation have different pinouts. I'd suggest avoiding it unless you get a complete chassis / motherboard / PS.

Dell desktop motherboards use standard(ish) power supplies but have oddball front panel connectors. By "standard(ish)" I mean things like 12V-only supplies on the Optiplex 9020, etc. - not very common but not unique to Dell. A long time ago (Slot 1 Pentium II/III, 440BX) Dell used a backwards power connector along with an oddball auxiliary connector and you'd blow up the motherboard, supply, or both if you mixed Dell and non-Dell.

Reactions: TheBloke