Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
@BLinux

How are your T1700G-28TQ's working out? Any issue with being picky on cables?

It's still about the only thing I can justify for my setup, although if I could find a fanless 48port managed switch around the same price (without 10GB) I'd consider that. Keeping my existing dedicated 10gb over ethernet link wouldn't be a big deal. But man, I need a switch that doesn't sound like an airplane. I don't even use the POE on my 48 port.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux

How are your T1700G-28TQ's working out? Any issue with being picky on cables?

It's still about the only thing I can justify for my setup, although if I could find a fanless 48port managed switch around the same price (without 10GB) I'd consider that. Keeping my existing dedicated 10gb over ethernet link wouldn't be a big deal. But man, I need a switch that doesn't sound like an airplane. I don't even use the POE on my 48 port.
I've been so busy with work, the solar panel project, and collecting parts for my next server build, i haven't had time to check out the T1700-28TQs yet; still sitting in box. Although, while I was ordering some other stuff from fiberstore folks, I asked about TP-LINK switches and they said it's no problem for them to get me SFP+ modules that will work just fine; they seem to hint that TP-LINK can use generics and don't require anything special. They have lifetime warranty, so I'm not too concerned if i got a DOA unit; so it's low on the priority list - i bought them for the 10G link I want to establish between the "shed" and my house, which comes after the solar panels are done.

Regarding 48-port manage gigabit, go back to that deal I posted about TP-LINK switches on Amazon. The T1600G-52TS is a 48-port 1Gbase-T + 4-SFP (not SFP+) and FANLESS. I've deployed 3 of those switches for some SMB clients and they have worked great for the feature set they provide and price. They do get a bit warm on the bottom, so I would leave an air gap underneath them, but I've got 2 of them fully populated (even the SFP ports) and have had no issues with performance, VLANs, LAGs, and a few of their port security features. It's still $300 right now.

Reactions: Craash

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
. . The T1600G-52TS is a 48-port 1Gbase-T + 4-SFP (not SFP+) and FANLESS. I've deployed 3 of those switches for some SMB clients and they have worked great for the feature set they provide and price. They do get a bit warm on the bottom, so I would leave an air gap underneath them, but I've got 2 of them fully populated (even the SFP ports) and have had no issues with performance, VLANs, LAGs, and a few of their port security features. It's still $300 right now.
Well, sounds like that might be the way to go. You rock.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Last 30 minutes, installed the TP-Link T1700-28TQ in a Windows Server 2016 cluster.
No problem with off-brand SFP+ dac cables. Love the silent no fan 10G switch.

Not complaining , I paid $276.
I just do not understand Amazon's price swing from $250 + Tax to over $370 in a heart beat.

Reactions: Craash

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I just do not understand Amazon's price swing from $250 + Tax to over $370 in a heart beat.
Amazon automatically adjusts the prices. Nobody buys it = price goes down, often under the list price. They sell 2+ and the price goes up instantly.
Heise, a german news magazine, reported in 2015 that amazon adjusts the price up to 300 times within a week for an item.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
In this situation, Amazon did not have the TP-Link 10G switch in stock, they sell it deep discount, waited 2 weeks to have the switch in stock then shipped it.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
My TP-Link T1700G-28TQ arrived a few weeks ago and it works fine.

I'm using the TP-Link compatible DAC cables from fiberstore and they work. I do however get a warning message in the log of the switch when insert them. It warns about not using TP-Link branded cables but this appears to have no effect. I confirmed 9.6 gbps across 2 SFP+ ports on the switch in iperf tests.

I haven't really done much of anything with the advanced software features so I can't comment on how good they are. I don't really need them for my simple setup.

Fanless is really great.

Palvelinvirhe

Feb 21, 2016
Finland
Has anybody tried the stacking feature of TP-Link T1700G-28TQ?

I'm looking to build redundant 10G networking for my 3-node VSAN cluster and I was thinking I could use two of these switches, connect each server to both of the switches with SFP+ and then use the last SFP+ port to stack the switches.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
the documentation implies (to me) that 2 sfp+ ports are used for stacking.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
the documentation implies (to me) that 2 sfp+ ports are used for stacking.
yup. although i haven't tried it yet. if you stack 2 of these, you'd essentially have a 48-port 1Gbps + 4-port SFP+ 10Gbps switch in 2U form factor and fanless for about $508 with the sale price.

Palvelinvirhe

Feb 21, 2016
Finland
yup. although i haven't tried it yet. if you stack 2 of these, you'd essentially have a 48-port 1Gbps + 4-port SFP+ 10Gbps switch in 2U form factor and fanless for about $508 with the sale price.
The documentation (http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/T1700G-28TQ(UN)_V1_UG.pdf - page 39) states that "The stack ports of T1700G-28TQ can be used for stack connection or as normal SFP+ port". Doesn't that mean you could get 6 SFP+ ports total if you only use a single cable to stack the switches.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Yes I assume you could just connect 1 to the other via 1 sfp+ port, however I'm not convinced that the "stacking" functions would work. May just be 2 connected switches.