napp-it ZFS Storage appliance for Linux + Solaris

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I was able to import a 5 disk RaidZ2 pool created in Corral 10.02 into both napp-it as well as into FreeNAS 9.10.2 U2.
Did you actually update the pools within Corral after setting them up in Corral though?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I had created a pool in FreeNAS Corral (Virtualized under esxi 6.5). I created new VMs with 9.10 and napp-it and passed through the HBA to the new VMS. I was able to import them. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to ZFS and dont understand what you mean by update the pools within Corral.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I had created a pool in FreeNAS Corral (Virtualized under esxi 6.5). I created new VMs with 9.10 and napp-it and passed through the HBA to the new VMS. I was able to import them. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to ZFS and dont understand what you mean by update the pools within Corral.
I'm very a much new to ZFS and FreeNAS myself but what I've been reading is that if you hit the upgrade button for your volumes (as pictured below) after installing Corral you can't simply import those volumes back into FreeNAS 9.10 because that upgrade button introduced some features only available in FreeBSD 11 where 9.10 is based on FreeBSD 10.

I unfortunately hit upgrade by mistake on one of my two volumes and thus I can't import that volume back into 9.10 without using the "NIGHTLY" train which itself is not stable. Of course this volume I upgraded by mistake is the main one I need :(.

EDIT: Check that, they have revised their post on this. I might be fine after all.

FreeNAS Corral - Migrating from FreeNAS Corral to FreeNAS 9.10

I never used 9.10!
I upgraded my pool!

Well, that complicates things a little bit. FreeNAS Corral uses FreeBSD 11, which adds support for some ZFS features not available in FreeBSD 10, which 9.10.2 uses. FreeNAS 9.10.3 will be based on FreeBSD 11 and will allow you to import your pool. You can either wait for the Release, scheduled for May, or try out the nightlies.
Good news! FreeBSD 11 only adds two feature flags: sha512 and skein for hashing and dedup. Most users will not have actually used these in any dataset, so they should still be marked as "enabled", so pools that were either upgraded or created in Corral will mostly just import in 9.10.2. If you actually used either of these feature flags, you most likely knew what you were getting yourself into.

Last edited:

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I did not have the upgrade button. I cant get back to that VM now as I've pulled out 2 of the drives and formatted them to take some backups. The screenshot below from another system is how that screen looked for me.

2017-04-14 01_53_20-FreeNAS Corral.png

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Interesting. Well either way I edited my above post and you can see the FreeNAS team has changed their tune on this so I might be OK regardless to move back to 9.10. I'm going to try tomorrow.

mad1993max

Jan 27, 2016
hi how can i start the napp-it application on linux, the command nappit doesnt work after I intalled it via wget... ?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Three steps are required on Linux

1. download napp-it (console as root)
wget -O - www. napp-it.org/nappit | perl
opt. check if sudo is installed (apt-get install sudo)

2. Start initial napp.it setup script for Linux
sh /var/web-gui/data/tools/linux/napp-it

3. After the initial start, you can start via commands "napp-it" and stop via "napp-it-stop"
There is no autostart enabled during boot

napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Linux

mad1993max

Jan 27, 2016
ok thanks after I reinstalled it it worked fine!
my second problem is that I am in debian and installed sudo but nappit always says, that the sudo command wase not found do I have to add the napp-it user to the sudoers file manualy?

ok fixed it my root was not in the sudoers file after editing /etc/sudoers it works now!

Last edited: