Home 10Gb: Trendnet, TP-Link, Mikrotik

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RadDoc98

Mar 14, 2016
Buying a new house so I thought it would be fun to fiddle with 10Gb networking. I have two Intel X520-DA1 cards on the way with DACs. One is for my server running Windows 2012r2, and the other will be in my main PC running Windows 10 Pro.

I want to connect both of the Intel cards to a switch in my office with the supplied DACs. Trying to choose between the TP-Link T1700G-28TQ and the Trendnet TEG-30284. Need quiet because the switch will be within a few feet of me in the office. Trendnet has fans, TP-Link doesn't. Otherwise they seem similar, besides Trendet being cheaper. Does anyone know how loud the Trendnet is? Also, is one better with various fiber transceivers than the other?

I will be using a 3rd SFP+ port from the office switch to connect to a Mikrotik CRS226-24G-2S+IN in the basement via a fiber line, likely less than 100ft in length. I should be using OM3 or OM4 fiber for this I presume. Last question (I hope): What do people think about fiber wall plates vs. just bringing the fiber through a hole in the drywall?

I've been reading the heck out of the forums while mulling this over, but I still can't decide. Online reviews are lacking.

Thanks!

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Look at the new mikrotik switches. They have a few with multiple SFP+ ports

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I have the TrendNet TEG-30284 Switch.
It was/is the loudest component in my rack.
It is slightly louder than a UBNT ES-16-XG I'm _supposed_ to be testing :\

I believe I measured 50db @ ~1m with that (Trendnet) switch on and only 36db with it off.
So it is bearable...but compared to 4 hosts + UPS running combined in my rack, I say it's "loud".
I sit about 5 ft away from it though.

There is a thread along the lines of '10Gb switches under $500' where someone mentioned the
throughput of the TPlink was less than the Trendnet - going off memory and unverified by me.

One of those switches switches will have to go .. if not both, so if interested I may part with them.
I wanted to do some more testing with both but life keeps getting in the way of my fun/lab time.

RadDoc98

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks for that input. Very useful. Seems like the trendnet will be a bit loud for my tastes. I used to use a big 48 port netgear Switch that was too loud, even after I replaced the fans.

I recall the post you mention. I'm not too concerned about it though. I won't be doing anything network intensive 99% of the time. Mainly large file copies between my pc and server. Most of the devices on my network are relatively idle most of the time anyway, other than streaming video. Part of this is for the learning experience.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I've got a to-link t1700 and as advertised it's silent. It sits in the house and connects to a lb6m sat tor in the garage. The only time I've had other boxes connected to it via 10gb is when I've built them in the office prior to throwing them out to the garage. So haven't run any meaningful benchmarks on it but certain doesn't appear slow.

RadDoc98

Mar 14, 2016
I've got a to-link t1700 and as advertised it's silent. It sits in the house and connects to a lb6m sat tor in the garage. The only time I've had other boxes connected to it via 10gb is when I've built them in the office prior to throwing them out to the garage. So haven't run any meaningful benchmarks on it but certain doesn't appear slow.

Any fiber transceiver gotchas?

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Not really, I've used dell dac's and Cisco & hp compatible transceivers from fiber store. It logs a message about them not being certified (or something similar) but work just fine.

Reactions: Jerry Renwick

Biznatch

Mar 20, 2017
I have the same tp-link from the amazon deal, and it's working with the natex intel x520-da2 and their DAC cables (6 pack). Can completely max the 10G with 4-400G s3700s in R10.