Movin' on up...to 40GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nighthawk43

Nov 17, 2016
Most of the switches can be used immediately, only the fancier stuff (vlans, dcb,pfc and so on) need additional configurations.
Licenses/supscriptions depend on the switch manufacturer. Juniper switches for example requiere licenses for layer 3+ protocols, other need supscriptions for firmware updates. You should look that kind of information up before buying a switch.
Great, thanks!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Sourcing a PSU is becoming a PITA for this unit of mine.
I must apologize to you now, when got your order, I found this power supply just been sold out by my colleague, he didn't inform me in time to end the eBay listing.

then these two days I asked my purchasers to find them from my suppliers, but all the supplier lack it right now. still not sure can get it within 10days

we have some JPSU-1100-AC-AFO, would it be good to you?
Gotta luv shifty ebay sellers selling sh|t they don't have right? Still has not taken the listing down even though I advised him he should. So yeah I now have a 1100w PSU coming. Anyone know if the pwr draw is any different (more specifically) using this compared to a 350W version or is it only more taxing if I light up more PoE ports?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
1100w in your home switch, hardcore... :p
Ridiculous right? I will swap out w/ 350W version once I find a good option and re-sell this for cheap (only cost me $80 and they sell for quite a bit more than than so whatever I'll get my $$$ back but still irritating).

The difference I think is just more PoE ports being active/avail, 6 w/ the 350W version all 24 w/ the 1100W version, hell on a 48 port model I think it even lights them all up for PoE duties but I'd have to look at manual again.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Got my 10gbe sfp+ module in yesterday and got it installed while working last night. Final idle power usage number with it installed is 81w. Now to just get time to move everything over from the other switches to this one and to pick up a couple more 40g cards for the machines that don't have them yet

Reactions: Patrick

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I am having some serious bad luck...now that I got my PSU in from China I seem to be lacking one of those fancy notched IEC320 plugs.

Looked through my rubbermaid full of pwr cables, 50+ cables, none notched and I KNOW I have had those before. GRRR.

Good grief, LAME! HAH

EDIT: Looks like I need this one for my 1100W PSU

North America

125 VAC, 15 A, 60 Hz

NEMA 5-15 Type N5/15

CBL-PWR-C15M-HITEMP-US

Quick check on ebay and these cables do NOT look right.

Anyone know the trick? Assuming the 350W's are standard.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Wow that was a fun hunt, need this:

NEMA 5-15 to IEC 320 C15 Power Cords

Last edited:

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I am guessing it is cause it is the 1100w version. I know that the 715w version I have does not need this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Soooo profusely irritated by this ebay seller and the snafu this has me in now. Not a big deal but still pissy abt ebay sellers listing items they don't actually have. Dood still has not taken 350W version listing down even though i kindly asked him to and he said he would...several days later and it's still up.

Juniper JPSU-350-AC-AFO 740-046873 350W AC Power Supply | eBay

2 avail right...not so much :-(

I'm gonna assume the 1100W version is intended for a 48 port version of this switch FULLY driving all ports PoE to a bunch of phones, that would justify 500W PoE envelop then headroom for the rest of the switch.

Anyone want it and swap/trade me out for a 350W version? I'd go straight across :-D

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Borrowed a buddies IEC 320 notched out pwr cable. Updating junos to 17.1 from 14.x series now via tftp (ubuntu 16.04 tftpd-hpa pkg).

Holy sh|t this thing is a screamer for about 2 mins on initial boot then settles down.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
When you get a 350watt psu can you measure the sound level again please? According to some pdfs I found on junipers site they should be ~10db quieter (compared to the 1100watt psu)

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
@whitey Any chance I could get a copy of 17.1 from you?

@i386 I posted some noise measurements further up from mine with 715w power supply and compared to my ubnt 16xg and netgear Xs708t

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
@pyro_ PM me when you get back online. Can get ya 17.1 goodies but have a question for ya on 40G interface config. Having a helluva time seeing them for some reason in non-conf mode but I can see them in conf mode and via show chassis hardware.

Things don't come up either w/ my MLX QSFP fiber cables either...boo

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Sorted out my interface issue, least I think I did. I found out on ex4300 series that the 40G ports are et (E.T. phone home) as far as interface naming conventions.

type—EX Series interfaces use the following media types:
ge—Gigabit Ethernet interface
xe—10 Gigabit Ethernet interface
et—40 Gigabit Ethernet interface

What threw me is in non-conf mode they are indeed listed as et-0/1/0-3 but under conf mode (logical) they show up still as xe-0/1/0-3...scratched my head a bit there.

Good lil' reference here.

Configuring Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces (CLI Procedure) - Technical Documentation - Support - Juniper Networks

Interesting that when using fiber on the 40G QSFP ports that autonegotiation is not used...least that's how I interpret it.

Guess what, no more fun for me tonight, can't get link no matter what I try, I think my MLX fiber cables are not gonna play nice on the juniper switch side/end. Gotta go get some of these it's lookin' like unless someone have a better suggestion.

2m (7ft) Juniper Networks JNP-QSFP-DAC-2M Compatible 40G QSFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Cable

EDIT: Doesn't this lil' setup look sweet! Too rich for my blood, imma have to take the DAC route.

Juniper 40G QSFP+ SR4/ESR4 Cabling Solutions | FS.COM

Last edited:

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One thing I have started to notice now is that the switch fans are spinning up a lot more often though not to full speed now that I have added the 10g card to the switch even when it was at idle. Happens even a bit more often now that I have it hooked up to multiple 10g and 40g connections and a few 1g connections even without Poe being used. Be meter on the iPad is averaging out to 51.4db instead of the previous 45db at idle

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Well color me perplexed, I seem to be able to ping between hosts in the same vlan on ge interfaces but NOT between hosts on ge interfaces and a host connected to a 40G port on same vlan. Identical configs w/ access interface-mode and tagged for that vlan. I CAN get it to pass packets for a bit once I light up a ge port on that same host that has 40G connect to the 40G IP address but they drop as soon as I take down the ge interface on that same host/subnet.

It's NOT a VC oddity on the 40G/QSFP ports as I nuked those and put them all back into host mode.

WTF lol...I'm cooked for the night. weak sauce

If anyone has any ideas I am ALL ears. Will post console output tomorrow.