x10dax does no recognize gpus in slots 4 and 5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Doppelbauer

Aug 8, 2016
My sm x10dax dual xeon board (dual e5 2683v3 on board, working fine) has stopped recognizing graphics cards if they sit in slots 4 and 5. Slots 4 and 5 are associated with the second cpu (according to manual). Slots 1,3,6 work fine. These slots go with the first cpu. Gpus in 4 and 5 do not even spin on startup. This worked some time ago. Tried clear cmos. Did not help.

What could be the problem? Thank you.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
My sm x10dax dual xeon board (dual e5 2683v3 on board, working fine) has stopped recognizing graphics cards if they sit in slots 4 and 5. Slots 4 and 5 are associated with the second cpu (according to manual). Slots 1,3,6 work fine. These slots go with the first cpu. Gpus in 4 and 5 do not even spin on startup. This worked some time ago. Tried clear cmos. Did not help.

What could be the problem? Thank you.
check the rom options... they can be changed per slot.

Doppelbauer

Aug 8, 2016
Thank you. Which options exactly could these be?

I have checked to rom options and read the sm manual (MNL-1563.pdf) for quite so time (ok I am not a professional). But I did not find anything helpful. Pcie-options are mainly about boot options. I did not change anything there. There is no option such as "disable slot 4" or the like. My guess would be that the stock configuration should have these lanes working.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
So options for the slots are mainly on legacy vs uefi roms on the cards.
There is also options for memory sections that have to be adjusted based on ram amount the card has.

What gpus do you have ?
What psu do you have?
Does the 2nd cpu still show up in UEFI and OS?
Check power cables.

Try switching known good card from working slot to non-working slot.
Try reducing overall power draw to just 3 cards worth... (label all cards in current config before changing)