Expanding a 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Space?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kevin Garvey

Mar 21, 2017
I tried searching for answers and found a few similar threads but nothing matching my question exactly, but apologies if this is a duplicate post...

I have a 2012 R2 Essentials server which is nearly out of storage; the current setup is 4x 4 TB drives in a two-way mirror configuration with thin provisioning, which netted me 8 TB of storage in the pool. I'm down to around 1 TB free. This pool hosts many of our ServerFolders shares.

If it's possible, I'd like to replace each of my existing 4 TB drives with an 8 TB drive and expand the pool to 16 TB, whether automatically or by reconfiguring it. It's important to note that without moving to a new case or adding another external drive cage--neither of which do I want to do--I'm limited to 4 HDDs, hence my wish to replace each of the current drives with a larger model.

I can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere... is it possible to do this?? To expand a Storage Space mirror pool by replacing individual drives one at a time?

Alternatively, if this isn't possible, if I create a new 4x 8 TB two-way mirror pool for the 16 TB of space I'm looking for, can I simply use robocopy to copy the contents of the current vdisk over to the new one, and then swap drive letters? Do I need to do any configuration beyond that to move everything to the new, larger pool? Or should I use the Essentials Dashboard to move the shares?

Also, I am only ever going to have one vdisk/volume in the pool. Ever. Is there any reason to stick with thin provisioning or would fixed/thick make more sense? I'm leaning toward the latter.

Thanks!

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
If it's possible, I'd like to replace each of my existing 4 TB drives with an 8 TB drive and expand the pool to 16 TB, whether automatically or by reconfiguring it. It's important to note that without moving to a new case or adding another external drive cage--neither of which do I want to do--I'm limited to 4 HDDs, hence my wish to replace each of the current drives with a larger model.
yes. look under some of my posts. and you will see code that I used to do that exact same thing.

Chris

Reactions: Kevin Garvey

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Alternatively, if this isn't possible, if I create a new 4x 8 TB two-way mirror pool for the 16 TB of space I'm looking for, can I simply use robocopy to copy the contents of the current vdisk over to the new one, and then swap drive letters?
you can do this too. but you said you were limited in the slots you have.

Chris

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Also, I am only ever going to have one vdisk/volume in the pool. Ever. Is there any reason to stick with thin provisioning or would fixed/thick make more sense? I'm leaning toward the latter.
fixed will give you speed. Thin gives you flexibility (in case you need to create a new vdisk for some reason).

Chris

Reactions: Kevin Garvey

Kevin Garvey

Mar 21, 2017
yes. look under some of my posts. and you will see code that I used to do that exact same thing.

Chris
Thank you! I will absolutely do that.

you can do this too. but you said you were limited in the slots you have.

Chris
Fair enough, I should have been more clear. I have a USB 3 JBOD enclosure that I can use to temporarily host the 8 TB drives if going this route, but it's not something that I would be willing to keep connected long-term/permanently.

fixed will give you speed. Thin gives you flexibility (in case you need to create a new vdisk for some reason).

Chris
That's very helpful to know! Thanks very much for all your responses. Much appreciated.