New Dwarfpool Monero Mining Docker Image

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Dwarfpool is one of the largest Monero mining pools out there. As I am typing this it has around 20% of the total capacity of the entire Monero mining network. I have been working on an image with tags for different architectures that can be pushed over a Docker Swarm cluster. This is one of the newer images that is using tags to differentiate each CPU architecture. We have tested the miners with various settings so pick the tag for the architecture you are using.

Optimized Mining Tags for Various Architectures
  • latest - this is the default and good for Intel Core i3, i5, i7, Intel Xeon E3, E5 and E7 CPUs and Intel Xeon D CPUs.
  • zen - this is optimized for AMD Zen architectures and has been pushed over an AMD Ryzen cluster
  • nproc - this is for CPU architectures with no dedicated L3 cache. This works for Intel Xeon Phi x200 and Intel Atom CPUs
  • nvidia - this is designed for NVIDIA GPUs using nvidia-docker

Usage, for example will be:
Code:
docker run -itd -e username=walletID  servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:zen
That will run an AMD Ryzen optimized mining container without dwarfpool e-mail tracking.

If you wanted to use e-mail tracking here is the template using the latest tag for a standard Intel core:
Code:
docker run -itd -e username=walletID  -e email=example@example.com servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:latest
Todo's: add nvidia-docker image

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just added the e-mail tracking capability to latest, zen and nproc.

I also had an experimental zesty + gcc 6.3 using -O3 -march=znver1

Very consistently ~20H/s lower.

I also tried -Ofast and that was slower as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: eva2000

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What's the tag for use of nvidia-docker?
It is just :nvidia so:
Code:
nvidia-docker run -itd -e username=walletID -e email=example@example.com servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:nvidia
Replace username with your walletID.

email is so you can use the dwarfpool e-mail tracking feature. Each will automatically use the hostname (in this case Docker container number) so you can easily track when a miner goes offline for example. You can omit this if you want.

nbourbaki

Mar 8, 2017
Patrick, you're awesome. I've gone from thinking about mining, to trying to optimize my mining with the compute I have available. Many thanks!

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a heads-up I am using this to test something new, for VMs:
servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:threads

With this version you can specify the following environment variables (-e):
  • walletID - what wallet you are mining to
  • email - for dwarfpool tracking purposes
  • threads - new feature, put a number here for a number of threads to run on the docker container. Otherwise the image tagged here will default to using nproc. I may end up merging this with the nproc version in the future. For now, it is experimental and in "threads". That should make it easy to test different thread counts.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Decided to just add the -e threads=? option to the servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:nproc image.

If you want to test using different thread counts, you can now do that just by changing one number in the launch command.

Reactions: blakwolf

ProZiro

Apr 20, 2017
It is just :nvidia so:
Code:
nvidia-docker run -itd -e username=walletID -e email=example@example.com servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:nvidia
Replace username with your walletID.

email is so you can use the dwarfpool e-mail tracking feature. Each will automatically use the hostname (in this case Docker container number) so you can easily track when a miner goes offline for example. You can omit this if you want.

I'm trying to test this out, but when I run the command it just spits out a random character string and exits. No other information given.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Think you can lend a hand?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm trying to test this out, but when I run the command it just spits out a random character string and exits. No other information given.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Think you can lend a hand?
What do the logs say?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I only have drivers installed on the base Ubuntu installs.

Just fired up 9 miners and it worked on all of them. It is strange since it is not erroring out with some kind of fatal error.

ProZiro

Apr 20, 2017
I only have drivers installed on the base Ubuntu installs.

Just fired up 9 miners and it worked on all of them. It is strange since it is not erroring out with some kind of fatal error.

Yeah, it's strange...

Upon running the command, it spits out something like this:

"25cf5f86c7374a2adc00f7198ce17631eefafad6d41b9c269dd17b26de765976"

and then just exits.

Says nothing about why it exited or anything, I don't get it.

I'm on Arch Linux... but that shouldn't have any real bearing on things.

I know someone else that is using docker without issue for CPU mining, so I don't get why it won't work on my system.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@ProZiro

Well that string of numbers is the docker container ID. When you do "docker ps" do you see any running images?

Were you able to get the nvidia-smi image running?

Code:
nvidia-docker run --rm nvidia/cuda nvidia-smi

ProZiro

Apr 20, 2017
@ProZiro

Well that string of numbers is the docker container ID. When you do "docker ps" do you see any running images?

Were you able to get the nvidia-smi image running?

Code:
nvidia-docker run --rm nvidia/cuda nvidia-smi

"docker ps" shows nothing running

yes, nvidia-smi seems to be fine. Prints out the GPU details and exits.

Tried running again... and got this in the logs:

[2017-04-21 04:32:45] Driver does not support CUDA 5.5 API! Update your nVidia driver!

I have CUDA 8 and the latest drivers... so I guess, there is an incompatibility with my GPU or the container is out of date (being it is calling for such an old version of CUDA)?

I wouldn't be surprised about an incompatibility.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
"docker ps" shows nothing running

yes, nvidia-smi seems to be fine. Prints out the GPU details and exits.

Tried running again... and got this in the logs:

[2017-04-21 04:32:45] Driver does not support CUDA 5.5 API! Update your nVidia driver!

I have CUDA 8 and the latest drivers... so I guess, there is an incompatibility with my GPU or the container is out of date (being it is calling for such an old version of CUDA)?

I wouldn't be surprised about an incompatibility.
Part of why containers with CUDA is such a great solution is because CUDA runs in the container. That means you can have many different CUDA versions installed, one for each.

I just re-tried one of 8 GPUs in a server that has been running this exact image for a month. Here is what the output looks like in the log:
--2017-03-19 01:32:53-- https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight/archive/v0. - Pastebin.com

ProZiro

Apr 20, 2017
Part of why containers with CUDA is such a great solution is because CUDA runs in the container. That means you can have many different CUDA versions installed, one for each.

I just re-tried one of 8 GPUs in a server that has been running this exact image for a month. Here is what the output looks like in the log:
--2017-03-19 01:32:53-- https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight/archive/v0. - Pastebin.com

Then I have no further theory as to why it won't work.

But I do know that it is this: "Driver does not support CUDA 5.5 API! Update your nVidia driver!" that is killing it.

Last edited:

Marcos Laue

Jun 5, 2017
Hi Patrick, what miner this image use?

Can you share the specifics commands to run inside the container to see what are going on/ hash/s ?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wolf's for CPU, ccminer for GPU.

If you want to see H/s you can either run docker logs <container name> or docker attach <container name>

Good opportunity to practice some basic docker commands.