Bricked LSI2116?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
You flashing from BIOS or EFI based system? Whatever you use just ensure you have the latest sas2flsh.exe/.efi and follow same process as any other flash procedure.

Aquire P20.00.7.00 firmware
boot flash stick w/ FW files/utilities
sas2flsh -o -e 6
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin (optionally if you need boot ROM 'sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom'

DONE! Pretty simple right?

EDIT: My bad on the 6Gbps.fw file mention earlier, had a H310 in my mind for some reason, P7 then to whatever version you desire (latest) is 'typically' the trick for putting PITA flashing experiences to bed.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...P20 will not install. sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 completes. Then when I run sas2flash.efi -o -f 9201-16_it.bin (is the problem the filename?) I get the following just like the first time I tried the upgrade.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
You flashing from BIOS or EFI based system? Whatever you use just ensure you have the latest sas2flsh.exe/.efi and follow same process as any other flash procedure.

Aquire P20.00.7.00 firmware
boot flash stick w/ FW files/utilities
sas2flsh -o -e 6
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin (optionally if you need boot ROM 'sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom'

DONE! Pretty simple right?

EDIT: My bad on the 6Gbps.fw file mention earlier, had a H310 in my mind for some reason, P7 then to whatever version you desire (latest) is 'typically' the trick for putting PITA flashing experiences to bed.
When upgrading from IT to a newer version of IT, I skip the erase step and just do
Sas2flsh -o -c <adp#> -f FW.bin
Sas2flsh -o -reset (Redundant, as above step already does a reset. I just do it for my sanity )
Sas2flsh -o -list

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
and YES, let's try to shorten down that file to something silly short/simple just to take that out of the equation (9201it.bin is my vote). Copy of that file is fine. in same directory, just use that one.

I'd defer to @nthu9280 and pass the torch (inside joke hah), he seems to have done a lot of these recently, I am currently looking at a chicken scratch note w/ process for 9211/9210/H310/H200/M1015 procedures I have successfully used a ton in the past but I may be a bit rusty :-D

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
When upgrading from IT to a newer version of IT, I skip the erase step and just do
Sas2flsh -o -c <adp#> -f FW.bin
Sas2flsh -o -reset (Redundant, as above step already does a reset. I just do it for my sanity )
Sas2flsh -o -list

Just tried this.
Code:
sas2flsh -o -c 0 -f 2116it.bin
Same result as the above attached photo. Gets to Resetting Adapter...Adatper reset failed.

I've never had so much trouble flashing an LSI card. This is bordering on crazy :(.

EDIT: Just for reference, each time the update fails I have to re-flash back to P19 using a .bat file from SuperMicro which contains the following:
Code:
sas2flsh -o -e 7
cls
sas2flsh -f 2116IT19.ROM
sas2flsh -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flsh -b x64sas2.rom
cls
sas2flsh -o -sasaddhi 5003048

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Well it said FW flash successful, just failed on resetting, is that fatal (AKA current v20 FW does NOT show up via sas2flsh -list?)

You got an odd one on your hands for sure it seems like.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hey, at least your's is still alive - my last weird one never came back;)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Well it said FW flash successful, just failed on resetting, is that fatal (AKA current v20 FW does NOT show up via sas2flsh -list?)

You got an odd one on your hands for sure it seems like.
Yea, sas2flsh -list just brings up "controller is not operational, firmware download is required. Enter firmware file name or quit to exit.

Hey, at least your's is still alive - my last weird one never came back;)
This is true. But in this state I can't run FreeNAS on this board which is what I've been trying to do for the past 2 days.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ohh it'll run w/ v19, it'll just piss and moan and bitch at you but it will drive data/disks just fine w/ v19 until you get this solved :-D

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ohh it'll run w/ v19, it'll just piss and moan and bitch at you but it will drive data/disks just fine w/ v19 until you get this solved :-D
I figured that might be the case, but it would bother me to no end knowing this issue is unresolved. Besides, being that this is going to be my main VM datastore, I'm not going to have many opportunities to work on this issue once I have FreeNAS up and running.

I'm half tempted to just throw the spare LSI 3008 I have in there and call it a day.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I hear ya, the OCD/desire for standardization/up to date FW would bother me as well, what I can say w/ a high degree of confidence is that v19 was SOLID, I don't think you are gonna see any performance/stability gains that will be earth-shaking but I am sure there were some bugs/features fixed/added.

EDIT: Can SM give ya another .zip bundle (or whoever that was that you acquired that from) of the v20 .bat setup that should be compat/silky smooth for your card...else yeah I guess throw that 3008 HBA at it :-( or at me :-D

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I hear ya, the OCD/desire for standardization/up to date FW would bother me as well, what I can say w/ a high degree of confidence is that v19 was SOLID, I don't think you are gonna see any performance/stability gains that will be earth-shaking but I am sure there were some bugs/features fixed/added.

EDIT: Can SM give ya another .zip bundle (or whoever that was that you acquired that from) of the v20 .bat setup that should be compat/silky smooth for your card...else yeah I guess throw that 3008 HBA at it :-(
I got the v19 zip myself off their FTP website and that's the latest they had. When their support gets back to me I will see if they can put together something for v20.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
It just seems weird that they are using a .ROM file instead of a .fw IT mode file. Hell maybe the rom de-compresses/installs as a valid FW file. I've never hit this wall so you're in new territory out of my wheelhouse unfortunately. ONLY time I've ever used a .rom file that I know of is when I want to slap on a bootable bios on the HBA for a system that needed to leverage a boot device hanging off the HBA. Most of the time like many of us I don't install those bits at all as I want pure-IT mode 98%+ of the time if not more.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It just seems weird that they are using a .ROM file instead of a .fw IT mode file. Hell maybe the rom de-compresses/installs as a valid FW file. I've never hit this wall so you're in new territory out of my wheelhouse unfortunately. ONLY time I've ever used a .rom file that I know of is when I want to slap on a bootable bios on the HBA for a system that needed to leverage a boot device hanging off the HBA. Most of the time like many of us I don't install those bits at all as I want pure-IT mode 98%+ of the time if not more.
Yea I've never run into this either and as I said I've flashed at least 20 LSI cards. I'll wait to see what SM has to say before I go down the 3008 route.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Must be nice to have spare 3008 lying around :)

Haha. If I had some NVMe drives I'd have ready installed it. Just feels like a waste having the onboard 2116 doing nothing when all my drives are 6Gbps.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Indeed and that is why I am hunting down another 12Gbps HBA (sold my last $75 hookup, doh!), got a new batch of HGST SAS3 drives in that are tanked on the SAS2 HBA.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I got the v19 zip myself off their FTP website and that's the latest they had. When their support gets back to me I will see if they can put together something for v20.
The batch file you listed doesn't seem anything special other than -e 7 (erase region 7).
You should be able to save it as a different file and replace the filenames with P20.07 ones.

Also, it's only programming part of the SAS address. I think you need to program rest of it if you need multiple cards in the system.
Unless the SMCI has a custom FW which I doubt.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The batch file you listed doesn't seem anything special other than -e 7 (erase region 7).
You should be able to save it as a different file and replace the filenames with P20.07 ones.

Also, it's only programming part of the SAS address. I think you need to program rest of it if you need multiple cards in the system.
Unless the SMCI has a custom FW which I doubt.

The batch file includes all .ROM files though of which I don't find any for v20 unless you are suggesting that I simply rename the BIN file to a ROM.

As for the SAS address part of the batch, when it gets to the end it asks me to enter the last 9 digits of my SAS address so that's how it handles that.

EDIT: Well just for the heck of it I tried taking the v20 BIN and renaming it to a ROM as the v19 ROM that SM provides is about the same size and looks to be basically the same file. Ran 'sas2flsh -f 2116IT20.ROM' but no dice. Leaves me in the same boat.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
BOOM! Got the v20 files from SM support (also ROMs) and the flash was successful!

Finally this nightmare is over :D.

Reactions: pgh5278

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Great :)
Now what was different on that card from others? Was that a supermicro branded one?