Ebay - 1u Dual E5 2660 with 64gb 150$ obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Silvas

Dec 9, 2016
I've got 2 of these on the way. Can anyone tell how to get a PCIe card installed, I'm assuming it doesn't ship with a riser card. Want to throw an HBA into it.

And what kind of cable does the 10Gig port take? I didn't examine closely.
you'd need to pick up a riser card for it, or a short PCIe extender cable. The 10GbE port should be SFP+ so depending on whether there's any compatibility issues with that interface, you'd need a 10GbE DAC or SFP+ transceiver and optical fiber (or Cat6 if you went with a 10GBase-T transceiver, but I haven't seen any of those cheap)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I guess for like $600 + shipping you could have yourself a nice lil 4 node lab, least on the compute/network side of the house...still have to consider leveraging an external SAN/NAS though w/ these it looks like mostly unless sneaking in a ssd or two 'somewhere' is feasible.

I'm passing, they look fairly deep too.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Those 11 were mine, i canceled because its just not worth it for me if i can only install VM-Ware.

Enjoy everyone ;-)

Silvas

Dec 9, 2016
PSA: Anyone who got bought one or more of these, check the front bays of your servers when you get them. I just got mine today and there was a SanDisk 256GB SSD sitting tucked up in there hooked up to SATA and power. Looks like there's room for 4x 3.5 drives in that front area. Looks like it needs trays, and there's no trays there. I haven't investigated further yet to see if I'm 100% right about needing trays.

BTW the motherboard is an Inventec B800 of some flavor and revision. There's a sticker on the board itself that says B800E0; the shroud says it's a shroud for a B800G2/10G (which is one of the B800 variants, I found the B800 motherboard manual here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/163550/B800 Manual.pdf

There is a sticker on the back outside of the chassis that has part number SS-APL00847B, serial number, and then Z1100SF - this yields no google results, maybe a ZT Systems model #?

It looks to be physically identical to the Foxconn T2491601 MB @Sable linked earlier in the thread, but it may have different firmware (everything I can find leads me to the Inventec B800) so the limitations on what OS' will work may not be the same. I'll report back with any findings. I downloaded Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016 this morning to prep for the server arriving.

Last edited:

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
Whoops, I forgot to pay for mine, better do that now aha. Hopefully have the same luck as you did [emoji23] thanks for the manual also, will be a while until it arrives to me. Will leave it at shipito for a bit I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Thanks for the update, shipping for ours took a little longer as we had to get the quote for the 15, if you get a chance to try and install CentOS/Ubuntu installs to see if they work on this system that'd be great. Hopefully they work for normally operating systems if not still a great buy just for the parts alone and if they have the extra SSD oh billy! :D

Silvas

Dec 9, 2016
Well so far the wretched thing doesn't seem to want to play nice... it won't boot to my USB stick Server 2012 installer or my Server 2016 installer. Won't even try. Even if I disable all other boot devices it just sits at a black screen with a blinking cursor. Never even attempts to boot. The SSD still has Oracle something or another installed on it... not only did they include the SSD, they didn't even wipe it, nor did the owners when they disposed of it to the IT liquidator o_O
Not sure if its firmware related or what. The sticks do boot on my laptop. Also BIOS says its only got 16gb ram, which bothers me.
Going to try an installer for Untangle at home next, so Debian.

Reactions: brendantay

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
Well so far the wretched thing doesn't seem to want to play nice... it won't boot to my USB stick Server 2012 installer or my Server 2016 installer. Won't even try. Even if I disable all other boot devices it just sits at a black screen with a blinking cursor. Never even attempts to boot. The SSD still has Oracle something or another installed on it... not only did they include the SSD, they didn't even wipe it, nor did the owners when they disposed of it to the IT liquidator o_O
Not sure if its firmware related or what. The sticks do boot on my laptop. Also BIOS says its only got 16gb ram, which bothers me.
Going to try an installer for Untangle at home next, so Debian.
I should have held off on my payment for a little longer, this is worrisome. Especially when returning from AU would be an absolute PITA.

Silvas

Dec 9, 2016
I should have held off on my payment for a little longer, this is worrisome. Especially when returning from AU would be an absolute PITA.
I got the RAM figured out... some klutz populated 3/4 of the DIMMs wrong so the server wasn't recognizing 6 of them. Fixed now and it shows the full 64GB.

Untangle at home installer boots just fine. I noticed that seems to be doing UEFI boot, so I'm redoing my server 2016 boot stick now and going to retry.

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
I got the RAM figured out... some klutz populated 3/4 of the DIMMs wrong so the server wasn't recognizing 6 of them. Fixed now and it shows the full 64GB.

Untangle at home installer boots just fine. I noticed that seems to be doing UEFI boot, so I'm redoing my server 2016 boot stick now and going to retry.
That's great news aha, keep us updated :)

Silvas

Dec 9, 2016
I have not done any real testing beyond installation, boot, and console login but here are my results:

Ubuntu Server and Desktop both installed and booted without error.
CentOS 7 likewise installs and boots without error.
ESXi 6.5.0 installs and boots without error. To boot to the installer via F7 boot menu USB I had 2 options - one that showed the model of my flash drive and one that said UEFI USB USB Hard Drive. I had to choose the UEFI to get it to boot. Choosing the one with the flash drive model (which worked for Ubuntu) didn't work.
Can't get the 10g onboard up and running, both Ubuntu and CentOS seem to have drivers (Intel 82599EN 10G) and show the 10G MAC address but show cable unplugged. ESXi only shows vmnic0 with the 10G MAC and says unplugged.
ESXi shows vmnic0, no other details aside from the MAC for the 10G, and says it's unplugged.
I'm using a DAC to a 10G port on an Aruba switch, I get a link light on the switch but not the onboard NIC. When I try to network boot, it comes up with media test failure so I'm not sure if it's the DAC or if the 10G interface on the server doesn't like the DAC.

Still no luck getting a windows server bootable USB to boot. I'm more or less out of steam for the night. I may take a shot at hooking up an optical drive, burning a windows server iso to disk and see if I can get it to boot that way tomorrow.

Edit: I couldn't walk away... Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016 have all now been booted from USB and start to load setup. They all then fail. Bluescreen while loading setup, all 3 of them throwing ACPI_BIOS_ERROR

Last edited:

theserverstore

Jun 29, 2016
We had gotten in some older ZT systems servers in the past (LGA1366) and they had Tyan branded motherboards in them.

As far as the seller listing the item as freight...when you sell something on ebay you are obligated to ship it within the stated handling time or else you get dinged. This does not apply to items that are listed with freight shipping.

Reactions: Jaket

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
PSA: Anyone who got bought one or more of these, check the front bays of your servers when you get them. I just got mine today and there was a SanDisk 256GB SSD sitting tucked up in there hooked up to SATA and power. Looks like there's room for 4x 3.5 drives in that front area. Looks like it needs trays, and there's no trays there. I haven't investigated further yet to see if I'm 100% right about needing trays.
Lucky man. I finally got my two units today, no luck on the SSD lottery though- looks like they'd already been removed and a metal 3.5" HDD tray was just left loose inside each unit.

I'll probably throw ESXi 6.5 on one of them, and figure out what to do with the other. Still need to figure out an adapter for the 10Gig port - I guess an SFP+ transceiver.