SuperMicro IPMIView for Windows - Unable to KVM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I've been unable to launch KVM from IPMIView in Windows 10 for a long time now. My X10SDV boards were on 3.30-3.31 and I would get "Connection refused" if I tried to launch remote KVM. I just upgraded my IPMI firmwares to 3.46 and now I get the following:

Launching KVM from a browser does and has worked fine but I cannot launch from the Windows app. Anyone else seen this?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Message seems to indicate you need to run the app as administrator. Did you try right clicking on app and selecting run as administrator?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Message seems to indicate you need to run the app as administrator. Did you try right clicking on app and selecting run as administrator?
It's set to run as administrator by default and yes I've manually tried running it as admin on top of that. It's almost like the KVM feature itself needs to be run as admin but there is no way that I can see to do that.

EDIT: I Found the iKVM.exe in Program Files > SuperMicro > IPMIView but it too is set to run as admin already.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
what version is the software at?
I'm using Version V2.11.0/Build 151223 and have no issues launching the KVM console. I dont even think my version is running as administrator.
ipmi.JPG

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
yup on windows 10 pro.
ill try dl the newer version.
my java is also updated to v8 update 121 if you want to check that.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
just upgraded, still no issues. I also dont need to run the app with admin rights. Did you check you event logs for error messages?
ipmi.JPG

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm on Win 10 Pro with the newest java as well.

Just checked event viewer and get an Event 7030 when I get the error which is as follows:

"The Stunnel SSL wrapper service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Is it installed in the default program folder (C:\Program Files (x86))?
Try to move it to another folder (desktop or c:\) and start it from there.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Win10 here, downloaded latest from SM site to try and I get a JAVA permission error that I allow on my home/private network. It then does not load / do anything, task manager reports nothing to close. I re-launch it and nothing happens. No errors, no messages nothing. Odd?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
are you logged into windows 10 with a user id and password, or just user id? I'm on a domain so that might be why it isnt letting you?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Is it installed in the default program folder (C:\Program Files (x86))?
Try to move it to another folder (desktop or c:\) and start it from there.
Tried. No luck.

are you logged into windows 10 with a user id and password, or just user id? I'm on a domain so that might be why it isnt letting you?
I'm logged in with a domain admin account on my home domain.

EDIT: Doesn't work with any domain or local account so it's either a computer policy issue or something else I'm not thinking of.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
seems that way. Check out the technote on the error
Event ID 7030 — Basic Service Operations
Also this users experience with ipmiview
Use stunnel? Then beware of Supermicro's latest IPMIView and IPMITools!

seems like a service may have been installed but didnt get setup correctly to allow it to interact with desktop
Yea I found that first link to. Now trying to determine what the service is.

Thanks but has nothing to do with my issue.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It's def. something related to my specific computer as I installed IPMIView on another Win 10 Pro machine on my domain and it works fine.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Stupid question but have rebooted the PC?
Yup I've tried. And anyone who thinks restarting the computer is too simple to try doesn't have much experience with Windows ;).

But yea, I'm kind of stuck as to what else to try right now. Going to have to look further into it this weekend.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I had this issue on 2 X10SDVs. One of the following made it work. It was a different issue for both. Don't recall the exact sequence.
1. Ensure IPMIView is run as Administrator
2. The password and user name are case sensitive
3. Login to the console directly on the server and use ipmi tool to reset the ipmi to defaults and reset the password.(I used a freenas usb drive to boot the server to use ipmi tool)

Edit: noticed that you have issue with only one specific pc, so probably a different issue than what I faced.

Last edited: