Intel Atom C3955 – 16 Core Denverton Benchmarks Leaked

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I wonder what TDP this chip will be at compared to the Xeon D-1500 series equivalent.

I am trying to hold out as long as possible for my pfSense build for these chips to get released but the C2000 bug put a damper on things.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Sounds like TDP not super less than Xeon-D at least in compatible CPU power (although AES-NI on c3000 may be stronger)
They are both 14nm and have 10g etc.

Thing is maybe the 2 or 4 core boxes will make awesome pfSense boxes due to low power and good performance.

I still love the idea we can use ddr4 rdimm which is a big money saver.

SM have an N4200 box that has 2 x intel nic and good AES-NI performance , i.e. Over 1G per core

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Sounds like TDP not super less than Xeon-D at least in compatible CPU power (although AES-NI on c3000 may be stronger)
The goldmont aes-ni is still a lesser implementation than broadwell, it's just much better than silvermont. I don't have benchmarks handy, but I'd guess goldmont won't do better than half the number of bytes per clock cycle--which is still enough to make possible things which were out of reach for silvermont.

SM have an N4200 box that has 2 x intel nic and good AES-NI performance , i.e. Over 1G per core
Can you cite a source for this? That's significantly higher than I'd expect given its clock rate, and even higher than I'd expect it to hit (but not sustain) in turbo. Unless the benchmark @Patrick published wasn't for a 2.4ghz chip?

Reactions: Geran

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
C3958 (16 core) 31w TDP
C3850 (12 core) 25w TDP
C3758 (8 core) 25w TDP
C3558 (4 core) 16w TDP
C3338 (2 core) 9w TDP

Can't config ghz or the sata or network port setup, high end chips do support 4 x 10g it looks like, and a heap of sata.

Reactions: diskdiddler

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
@mstone i saw some geekbench results such as this...
LENOVO INVALID - Geekbench Browser
Intel N4200
Ok, yeah, geekbench results. I've found them to be pretty bogus, no idea why. If you look at results for the same CPU they very widely, and are often significantly higher for AES in particular than I've seen more consistently using other benchmarks. There are also discrepancies between geekbench 3 & 4 results, but I haven't figured out if they're within the huge error bars of results from a single version. I'm also not sure whether the two versions are even running the same "AES" benchmark, because it's so vague about what it's running. (What's the key size? Block size? Cipher mode? Is there an authentication scheme?) I would not trust geekbench at all for estimating crypto performance.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
C3958 (16 core) 31w TDP
C3850 (12 core) 25w TDP
C3758 (8 core) 25w TDP
C3558 (4 core) 16w TDP
C3338 (2 core) 9w TDP

Can't config ghz or the sata or network port setup, high end chips do support 4 x 10g it looks like, and a heap of sata.
Where'd that come from?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Where'd that come from?
Fishing around info resellers have on supermicro a2sdi motherboards. Think a2sdi-4c-hln4f, -ln4f, -tp8f, -h-tf (substitute 4c for different and different combo's interfaces etc)
From 4 to 12 sata3 and network from 4x1g right up to 2x10g copper + 2x10g sfp + 4x1g copper.
All seem mini-itx size, some use full size ddr4 ecc rdimm some ddr4 ecc sodimm
All seem to have 4x pcie slot, some m.2

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@mstone i also don't read much into geekbench results either but I did presume that the same test on different cpu showing big differences in performance may have some basis in fact. Anyway for sure the new generations have better crypto performance, and the full cores better than atom.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I guess there is also a c3858 , the 0 being general purpose and the 8 being network comms style chip like in c2000 series.
I think the whole line up is going to be interesting...can't wait for the new solutions to start rolling out.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
C3958 (16 core) 31w TDP
C3850 (12 core) 25w TDP
C3758 (8 core) 25w TDP
C3558 (4 core) 16w TDP
C3338 (2 core) 9w TDP

I found this post via google, thank you for this information it's very useful.
I don't suppose you, or anyone else here would have any further information, approximate price? approximate dates?

I actually don't know what I "need" but I want a significant upgrade over my HP N54L AMD Turion 2.2ghz. As in quite a significant upgrade, so I'm thinking something in the 8 core or higher range of Denverton.
(It'll be running FreeNAS10 with 32GB)

Anyone else used one of the Atom based, all in one boards for a NAS? My understanding is FreeBSD is relatively well threaded.

(My other option is some kind of ITX based, Xeon D system, ideally board and CPU being under $500 US)

Tomas

Dec 20, 2016
I found this post via google, thank you for this information it's very useful.
I don't suppose you, or anyone else here would have any further information, approximate price? approximate dates?
<...>
Some more information (including the prices) is available at this Czech retailer - Základní desky / Intel Atom. I wouldn't bet the information being 100% correct there, though.

I've been waiting for Denverton myself for a while already and A2SDI-8C+-HLN4F with C3758 seems something I would go with. Any other options seem quite expensive, at least for the budget I have for this.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Some more information (including the prices) is available at this Czech retailer - Základní desky / Intel Atom. I wouldn't bet the information being 100% correct there, though.

I've been waiting for Denverton myself for a while already and A2SDI-8C+-HLN4F with C3758 seems something I would go with. Any other options seem quite expensive, at least for the budget I have for this.
I found that site and I think I came to the same conclusion price wise or one model lower (I only need 6 SATA ports, regular 1GBe etc)
I'm hoping AsRock come out with a good solution. They got really given a hard time because their C2xxx series boards were failing left right and centre and in the end, it looks like it was an intel problem all along. However they do generally beat SuperMicro for price.

I do hope the 8C C3758 can cut it though, I did find one fellow online with a powerful 8 core C2750 (?I think) and he discovered Plex is single theaded with some particular file types when transcoding. Rendered his server (somewhat) useless to him that he'd only just purchased.

Intel need to get this thing out there, but one can only imagine it's very close if board manufacturers are listing products, right?