Bug in Intel Atom C2000 series processors?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
NDA :-( Usually "platform fix" means motherboard workaround.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Does anyone have a link to where SM has said they are replacing affected units?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
NDA on hardware defect? What a crock, stinks really really bad, must be some nice payolla for the vendors (like "free no-questions asked chip replacements and keep your tier-1 OEM pricing/supply status wink wink nudge nudge") that otherwise could throw intel under the bus.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Does anyone have a link to where SM has said they are replacing affected units?
They confirmed via email when I asked earlier today. They actually said the rma will be handled by the seller.
I've asked if they can handle mine direct and are awaiting their response. Not holding my breath.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
They confirmed via email when I asked earlier today. They actually said the rma will be handled by the seller.
I've asked if they can handle mine direct and are awaiting their response. Not holding my breath.
Thanks! I asked our vendor and they hadn't heard anything yet.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
what really stinks is the netgate response of "we'll fix this during the 3 year warranty period"

Yamabushi

Feb 19, 2016
Running a Supermicro C2758 pfSense box here, so definitely following this with concern.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Reminder to any NDA-birds reading this: NDAs don't protect you from criminal or civil liability.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Platform Fix = BIOS update which disables use of the specific problematic feature? Wasn't that how they handled the VT-d bug on the Sandy Bridge E5's?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Platform Fix = BIOS update which disables use of the specific problematic feature? Wasn't that how they handled the VT-d bug on the Sandy Bridge E5's?
It's hard to use a BIOS fix for a bug that prevents the system from loading the BIOS. I would guess the platform fix involves adding a new timer or somesuch (not a software fix). That would pretty much be intel's worst nightmare, because ever since the fdiv bug they've tried to make it possible to fix almost anything in microcode.

Vidmo

Feb 3, 2017
Running a Supermicro C2758 pfSense box here, so definitely following this with concern.
Same here. Unfortunately I purchased my A1SRi-2758F from E-Bay. :(

The board is going on 21 months right now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that SM will conduct RMAs directly.

I might just run out and purchase a new A1SRi-2758F to make sure I can get one that is fixed sooner than later. Anyone know of a seller or distributor that has access to the January onward fixed parts that Patrick mentioned above?

Last edited:

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Our DC, dhcp, dns, NPS, ADCS server is running on a C2758. It's not our only DC, but it's the only physical one. I've already contacted our vendor and they're processing an RMA for us. Luckily they're sending us a board to swap out as an advance replacement.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Not necessarily a problem. I got a response fromSupermicro EMEA first thing this morning and they are OK with looking at a RMA from me. I'd purchased several boards from a US seller via ebay. So don't go and up, give them a shout and see how it goes.
I was very polite and made it clear that I understood that the problem isn't actually their fault.

g33k

Dec 27, 2014
Not necessarily a problem. I got a response fromSupermicro EMEA first thing this morning and they are OK with looking at a RMA from me. I'd purchased several boards from a US seller via ebay. So don't go and up, give them a shout and see how it goes.
I was very polite and made it clear that I understood that the problem isn't actually their fault.
Drewy, who did you talk to at Supermicro getting an RMA directly? I purchased several boards new from sellers on eBay - definitely interested in pursuing replacements. Thanks

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Supermicro USA accepted my C2758 board for the RMA. The support guy said they dont know what they are going to do though. They haven't made up their mind on what to fix. It looks like it will take some time to make up their mind on how to process the RMA's.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Assuming this is a SoC-level problem as opposed to a board-level problem, until a new stepping is established, won't RMA'd motherboards just have a newer version of the same potentially vulnerable chip?