Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tenet

May 4, 2015
I didn't notice it before ... but the mismatch might have been due to a slightly different part number.
Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Ignoring the Newegg pic (the MFG part # is right)... i'm staring at the part I linked to and it looks like it would have fit perfectly to that bracket.

RSC-RR1U-E8 ... will post a close-up pic of what I have if interested.
I believe I gave the correct part number as that is what I got when I ordered it. You also need to make sure that it is Revision 4.0 or it isn't the right one.
I found the part number for the riser card! It is a RSC-RR1U-E8

Last edited:

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Yes ... I have Rev 4.0 too ... but look at the mount holes on mine compared to yours and I have perforations that I didn't see on yours.

Breakk

Feb 3, 2017
I plan on buying, probably with a SNK-C0057A4L CPU cooler, to slow down 40mm fans as per my understanding from above.

Did anyone benchmark nvme performance through ESX6 with this rig (saw that Samsung 950 in your pic)? And passthrough?

Can you max out the 950 PRO (directly attached and/or via VMFS)?

tenet

May 4, 2015
I plan on buying, probably with a SNK-C0057A4L CPU cooler, to slow down 40mm fans as per my understanding from above.

Did anyone benchmark nvme performance through ESX6 with this rig (saw that Samsung 950 in your pic)? And passthrough?

Can you max out the 950 PRO (directly attached and/or via VMFS)?
You are understanding correctly, the chassis fans will spin down significantly with active cooling on the CPU.

I don't have much experience with ESXi, so I've only been using it for testing. If you have some suggestions on what you'd like tested, I'm willing to give it a try.

Breakk

Feb 3, 2017
You are understanding correctly, the chassis fans will spin down significantly with active cooling on the CPU.

I don't have much experience with ESXi, so I've only been using it for testing. If you have some suggestions on what you'd like tested, I'm willing to give it a try.

I ordered just the mobo and a Gelid 50mm fan for the CPU if I wish.

Picked a mSATA 500GB to start. M2 slot is still free.

You can test this out with hdtune/hdtach if your 950 is free for testing however I have seen fuzzy vm disk benchmarks. I know IOMeter will give accurate results but it's not as simple.

Scenario 1: Use a Windows VM, allocate all disk space when creating vmdk, test.
Scenario 2: Use a Windows VM and PCIe passthrough on the 950Pro and test directly.

I don't see why it would be slow. Don't give yourself too much trouble. I will end up ordering a 960 pro anyway as this is the most affordable thing that can cap a 10G interface.

Reactions: solaris12

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
To bump and old thread, anybody see a way to fit more than 2 x 15mm drives in the CSE-E300 case if using the boards with built in sas controller (i.e. Don't an add in riser or card)
Certainly 2 drives fit... but more ?

chx

Dec 25, 2016
I'm looking at this chassis -- even if not the entire pre-built machine -- I am planning on using an X11SSV-Q because it can be fed by 12V alone and an i5 7600T -- and then an 1050 Ti LP. I know, it's sacrilege but I am looking at modding the chassis a little. Could someone who has the chassis measure whether there's enough space below the "sanctioned" first slot for a second slot? I will be using an ITX board not a flex one so I believe only the size of the back panel matters here. And if I get to modding, I will probably cut some vents in the bottom, strip the fans from the graphics card and install larger ones. The Flex ATX motherboard is 58.6mm wider than the ITX one so am I guessing 70mm fans fit between the motherboard and the case wall since there's visibly some space left. I hope it will fit :)

Last edited:

tenet

May 4, 2015
To bump and old thread, anybody see a way to fit more than 2 x 15mm drives in the CSE-E300 case if using the boards with built in sas controller (i.e. Don't an add in riser or card)
Certainly 2 drives fit... but more ?
No, there is no space for more without modding the chassis.

So I'm on the fence with the SYS-E300/200 because of noise. This would be a first home lab build for me - looking to host a pfense for gigabit internet, a small website, and an Emby server so would appreciate the horse power of the Xeon-D.

Has anyone tried the Noctua NF-A4X20? Seems to be a 40mm 4-pin fan. Or would the lower air flow overheat the chip?
I thought about this and asked Noctua support. They told me that this is not the intended use for their fans and that the CFM is too low to meet the airflow requirements without extra cooling.

I'm looking at this chassis -- even if not the entire pre-built machine -- I am planning on using an X11SSV-Q because it can be fed by 12V alone and an i5 7600T -- and then an 1050 Ti LP. I know, it's sacrilege but I am looking at modding the chassis a little. Could someone who has the chassis measure whether there's enough space below the "sanctioned" first slot for a second slot? I will be using an ITX board not a flex one so I believe only the size of the back panel matters here. And if I get to modding, I will probably cut some vents in the bottom, strip the fans from the graphics card and install larger ones. The Flex ATX motherboard is 58.6mm wider than the ITX one so am I guessing 70mm fans fit between the motherboard and the case wall since there's visibly some space left. I hope it will fit :)
This is a 1U height chassis and SuperMicro has proprietary designs that offer that option in their high end SuperServers, so there is definitely space. Since the riser only supports one slot, you'd have to figure a way to bifurcate the slot for two cards. If you're doing this for the "experience", go for it. There are other cases out there that might be a better fit if you're doing it for need.

chx

Dec 25, 2016
This is a 1U height chassis and SuperMicro has proprietary designs that offer that option in their high end SuperServers, so there is definitely space. Since the riser only supports one slot, you'd have to figure a way to bifurcate the slot for two cards. If you're doing this for the "experience", go for it. There are other cases out there that might be a better fit if you're doing it for need.
I meant to use a video card which needs 1 PCIe slot but 2 PCIe slot covers because, well, it's a video card :) Low height, double wide.

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
Sorry to revive an old thread. 1 remark and 1 question:

Remark about the heatsink:
Replacing the stock passive CPU heatsink by a SNK-C0057A4L has proven to be useless to me. With the active heatsink, the CPU temp went up by 3 degrees C (51 to 54) and fan speed went up from 5400 to 6100, under same load and same 'burn-in' period. And it made a lot more noise. Probably because the heatsink sucks air from the top, where there is just too little space, and directs it out through the sides, partly against the direction of the main chassis fans, making for imperfect air flow. Rotating the heatsink 90 degrees could improve that part, but would leave the heatsinks behind the CPU non served, so that would be a no go as well. I put the old heatsink back.

Question about the riser card:
When one installs the riser card, plus a regular length half height PCIe board (I am aiming for the supermicro dual M.2 card), is there still enough space left to fit a regular 2.5 HDD? Looks too tight to me.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Limited height SSD/drive .. I wanted to use 15mm and I think the max was 9mm (could have been 12mm, it's buried in the manual no doubt)
Cases help so much promise but sadly are really only goof for very limited storage.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Sorry to revive an old thread. 1 remark and 1 question:

Remark about the heatsink:
Replacing the stock passive CPU heatsink by a SNK-C0057A4L has proven to be useless to me. With the active heatsink, the CPU temp went up by 3 degrees C (51 to 54) and fan speed went up from 5400 to 6100, under same load and same 'burn-in' period. And it made a lot more noise. Probably because the heatsink sucks air from the top, where there is just too little space, and directs it out through the sides, partly against the direction of the main chassis fans, making for imperfect air flow. Rotating the heatsink 90 degrees could improve that part, but would leave the heatsinks behind the CPU non served, so that would be a no go as well. I put the old heatsink back.
Interesting as I noticed a drop in noise when I used this fan.

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
I've been running a E300-8D system as pfSense router / firewall for over 6 months now and i replaced the 2 stock fans with 3x SuperMicro FAN-0100L4 and its much quieter than stock. Still by far not silent enough to have it next to you, but a room away its fine.

They are also 40mm fans with the same connectors, just lower rpms.

CPU temp is 55 degrees @ 4300 RPM.

Picture:

It's running 16G of 2133 ECC RAM and a Trancend MSA370 128G M.2 SSD and the riser with a dual 10G RJ45 X540 card.

Last edited:

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
I've been running a E300-8D system as pfSense router / firewall for over 6 months now and i replaced the 2 stock fans with 3x SuperMicro FAN-0100L4 and its much quieter than stock. Still by far not silent enough to have it next to you, but a room away its fine.

They are also 40mm fans with the same connectors, just lower rpms.

CPU temp is 55 degrees @ 4300 RPM.

Picture:

It's running 16G of 2133 ECC RAM and a Trancend MSA370 128G M.2 SSD and the riser with a dual 10G RJ45 X540 card.
Where did you buy them?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
You can probably get them from any hardware store that sells SuperMicro gear, paid about 20 USD each.

You require only 2 when not using an addon card.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
You can probably get them from any hardware store that sells SuperMicro gear, paid about 20 USD each.

You require only 2 when not using an addon card.
Just got 2 for $30 US. I'll post to the thread with my findings. I don't have an add-on; just an SSD and an M.2 drive.