Sophos Home is outright DANGEROUS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Sep 22, 2015
So I was attracted to Sophos Home. It offered free AV that got rave reviews as far as detection as well as central web management. What's not to love?

If this program finds a false positive (like when I was going through my backups) it simply DELETES THE FILE with NO WAY TO RECOVER. There's no quarantine, no restore, just your file f**king GONE. I can't believe they had the audacity to release this.

So, needless to say that's completely uninstalled. I'd suggest you do the same if you were dumb like me.

Sep 22, 2015
Even from backups and snapshots? that's crazy
Not sure about snapshots, but as soon as I accessed my file level backups, it killed the files from them. Luckily there's an offline backup I have, but I'm not plugging it in until I remove Sophos.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
good to know, I was thinking of using Sophos for my home setup, but now I am even more incline to go with pfSense or NethServer

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Have been using sophos on different versions, clients for well over 15 uears now, and NEVER had any of the mentioned problem before.
Are you all sure this isnt a case of rtfm on how to quarantine ?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I use Sophos Endpoint Protection at work and love it. Never had an issue like that in years but I'm also not using the Home version so I'm not sure what's different in that version.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I been using Sophos utm 9 home at home for years. I only had the AV block things downloaded from WAN never did anything over LAN segment. This is what I have active. What did you have active and what where you doign when it decided to delete something?
sophos.JPG

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I been using Sophos utm 9 home at home for years. I only had the AV block things downloaded from WAN never did anything over LAN segment. This is what I have active. What did you have active and what where you doign when it decided to delete something?
View attachment 4520
I believe the OP is talking about Sophos Home Antivirus software for client computers not the Sophos UTM the firewall solution.

Reactions: DavidVermillion

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'll throw in the comment that AVAST business free offers the web management you got from sophos minus the false positive deletion

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Huh, something's changed recently, at least on the Mac version. It didn't used to be so limited, and did have the option to review/release for false positives.

Kinda pissed this happened right under my nose (rarely have to actually open the app). Looks like it's time to review options.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Their utm suites for home works great, luckily I relies on windows defender for av.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
When you're running out of horror stories for the week and want a couple more, go read the Google Project Zero reports on assorted antivirus products. I don't see how you could possibly be safer with them than without them. And that's *before* they get around to attempting to block viruses by deleting your files, disabling your browser buffer overflow protection, and injecting themselves into the middle of random apps.