Monero Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Ned Kelly not going to use Windows for this. L2 cache on the Xeon Phi X200 is very small.

On the Windows miner, not going to support those for now. I need something that works on Linux.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just found this thread, been playing around with mining Zcash for the last couple of days both in Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Just playing around to learn about it.

Setup is dual E5-2670 cpus and dual AMD RX480's.

Using Claymore CryptoNote GPU Miner v9.7 Beta with the RX480's and it shows ~1175 H/s.

Running Minergate v6.6 on the Cpu's shows ~500 H/s on them and only ~16 H/s on the RX480's with Gpu mining turned on.:confused:

Running Minergate on the Cpu's and Claymore CryptoNote on the Gpu's gets the best H/s with ~ 1675 H/s but it shuts down the pc after about 10 minute's of running even tho every thing seems ok. :(

I have not tweaked any settings at all.

EDIT: I have been playing around with the minergate settings for the cpu and if I set it for 8 threads it shows ~300 H/s and if I bump it up to 16 it goes up to ~500 H/s . If I increase the number of threads above 16 it makes no difference with the H/s speed.

And running only 16 threads the the cpu's boost up to 3.0 ghz from 2.6 ghz with 31 threads running.

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Jan 24, 2017
Hi Klee
Since you using Windows could you try Claymore CryptoNote CPU Miner v3.5 with -lowcpu 2 switch on your E5-2670 and post the results, please.
Also using modified bios for your RX480 should take you to sub 800 h/s land. Just use tighter timings in bios.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just curious what pools you guys are mining to?
Using minergate right now. Doing better than moneropool and others with the same KH/s. Minergate has been consistent 3.2 XMR/ day for me. Moneropool was ~2.4 actual.

If you want to try on the CPU or NVIDIA GPU I have Docker images available that go directly to minergate.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I ran minergate earlier today, but it drags my system to unusable. My GTX 1070 has a hard enough job pushing my 3x 4K monitors without trying to mine :)

On the positive side my build is completely silent when mining both CPU & GPU.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Hi Klee
Since you using Windows could you try Claymore CryptoNote CPU Miner v3.5 with -lowcpu 2 switch on your E5-2670 and post the results, please.
Also using modified bios for your RX480 should take you to sub 800 h/s land. Just use tighter timings in bios.
I gave up on the Claymore CPU miner, It kept getting errors even after following the instructions to the letter.

Plus Windows Defender did not like the program at all, kept telling me it was a trojan/virus. And that made me a bit nervous about running it with Admin rights but I did anyway with errors.

Ned Kelly

Jan 24, 2017
I gave up on the Claymore CPU miner, It kept getting errors even after following the instructions to the letter.

Plus Windows Defender did not like the program at all, kept telling me it was a trojan/virus. And that made me a bit nervous about running it with Admin rights but I did anyway with errors.
It's typical behavior of Windows Defender for all miners.
What kind of errors do you get?

I use following steps:
  1. Set admin rights for NsCpuCNMiner64.exe
  2. Create .bat file with following content for mining at nicehash.com in the same folder with exe file:
start.bat said:
NsCpuCNMiner64.exe -o stratum+tcp://cryptonight.usa.nicehash.com:3355 -u YOUR_BTC_ADDRESS -p x -lowcpu 2 -dbg -1
After that monitor your worker at
Works with Win10 64bit i5-6600k, and use your Bitcoin address for mining not Monero one.
I'm getting 185 h/s with -lowcpu 2 on the single thread.

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Jan 24, 2017
offtopic:
@nitrobass24
I ran minergate earlier today, but it drags my system to unusable. My GTX 1070 has a hard enough job pushing my 3x 4K monitors without trying to mine :)

On the positive side my build is completely silent when mining both CPU & GPU.
Is it ZEC mining more profitable for your card than XMR?
@Patrick
Have you tried Xeon Phi 7210 for ZEC mining?

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
Here is what is probably a very basic question/fundamental concept that I do not yet understand. What does it say that we have a similar number of shares but such a difference in the amount mined?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think that each share is not equal. When did you start on minergate? I have only been mining there for ~5 days and really only switched everything over two days ago.

39 workers? Already at 40 bringing up 41 soon (+1.7KH/s today!)

BTW - at 1.384M Good Shares my "bad shares" are only 73. That may be because most of my gear is in a DC.

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
I think that each share is not equal. When did you start on minergate? I have only been mining there for ~5 days and really only switched everything over two days ago.

39 workers? Already at 40 bringing up 41 soon (+1.7KH/s today!)

BTW - at 1.384M Good Shares my "bad shares" are only 73. That may be because most of my gear is in a DC.

Been on MinerGate for ~2 weeks. My free colo site is trapped behind a pair of bonded T1s (that is not particularly clean either), so between that and some hardware issues when I first set up everything, that caused a number of my "bad shares". Every time I stop/pause a miner, that also causes a bad share.

Glad to see the slide has stopped and we are back up to 12USD today!

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Current status:

upload_2017-1-26_21-45-45.png

I think that kH/s is wrong. Back of the envelope I really have only around 27kH/s online now.