Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I wonder if they will ever support more DAC's or is it by design
I had quite an eclectic collection of DAC cables and tried most of them. There is a clear pattern:

- Passive DACs of 0.5M or 1M almost all work.
- Passive DACs over 1M almost all fail
- Active DACs are hit and miss, much like SFP Optics

I draw the conclusion that the line driver on their interface cannot supply enough current to support passive DACs over 1M. If that is true then no - they are not likely to be able to fix this with later firmware.

walked

Jan 19, 2017
Washington DC
So; with the most recent firmware update - I'm now in pretty good shape! My Intel (copper) 10gbe cards (x520-t2) are talking at 10gbps successfully.

Woohoo. Guess they really are out of beta!

Reactions: maze

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
So; with the most recent firmware update - I'm now in pretty good shape! My Intel (copper) 10gbe cards (x520-t2) are talking at 10gbps successfully.

Can you show me the link to download the latest one? Thanks,

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016

Also, I read somewhere that there are people who had working with x520-t2. I believe that people who have x540-t2 or x550 cards are still having issue with this switch.

Last edited:

walked

Jan 19, 2017
Washington DC
Interesting; I do know it's never before worked with my X520-T2 cards across multiple nodes; however it is now. I wonder if this firmware will be of any assistance on their end - it was only released a couple days ago now.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
Also, I read somewhere that there are people who had working with x520-t2. I believe that people who have x540-t2 or x550 cards are still having issue with this switch.
Mine has been running great with an X540-T1 and an X540-T2 (both are Chinese cards from Amazon/eBay) for a few weeks.

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
Replaced the fans like page 6 i thought. Little problem getting the case closed (because the fans are in the way), but after that a lot of silence compared to the old fans. Temp like 41 C.

Are you getting 10Gbit connections on the X520's? Mine is now doing 1Gb like always, or disconnected. But haven't tried above firmware i think, now got the latest stable version from the latest stable controller version (5.4.9).

mrseth1

Apr 19, 2016
I had quite an eclectic collection of DAC cables and tried most of them. There is a clear pattern:

- Passive DACs of 0.5M or 1M almost all work.
- Passive DACs over 1M almost all fail
- Active DACs are hit and miss, much like SFP Optics

I draw the conclusion that the line driver on their interface cannot supply enough current to support passive DACs over 1M. If that is true then no - they are not likely to be able to fix this with later firmware.
Agree. This switch is super picky.
-Mellanox ConnectX3 with 3M Passive DACs - works
-Mellanox ConnectX2 with same exact cables - fail
-SolarFlare PCIe 10G with 3M Passive DACs - fail
-SolarFlare PCIe 10G with SolarFlare SFP+ Transceivers on both ends over LC Fibre - works
-SolarFlare PCIe 10G with LSI SFP+ Transceivers on both ends over LC Fibre - works
-SolarFlare PCIe 10G with Cisco SFP+ Transceivers on both ends over LC Fibre - fail
-Mixing the SFP+ transceivers on either end - fail

-fail means no link light.

Luckly I work in a datacenter so I have enough spare parts laying around to test the "magic" combo to get the switch to work. Once you get the magic combo the switch is solid, low power, and quiet which were my main reasons for buying it, but I've never had these problems with other 10G switches I've worked with.

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
Mixed up, got X540-AT2 not 520 on my board (connected with cat7). So can be that X520 (sfp+) are always working now?
Chelsio still not working but can be the cables.

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
I am so excited I was able to pick up one of these guys. I had to buy new DAC's and SFP+ to get it going, but honestly at this price it's no big deal for my small needs.

Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M DAC - not working
Intel FTLX8571D3BCV-IT SFP+ - not working

I picked up the following gear:
Arista CAB-SFP-SFP-2M DAC
JUNIPER SPP5200SR-J6-M SFP+
Arista SFP-10G-SRL SFP+

All of the new gear worked without any issues. Also contrary to what mrseth1 said I mixed all of my SFP+ modules, not one pair is from the same vendor and it seems to be working fine for me.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
I am so excited I was able to pick up one of these guys. I had to buy new DAC's and SFP+ to get it going, but honestly at this price it's no big deal for my small needs.

Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M DAC - not working
Intel FTLX8571D3BCV-IT SFP+ - not working

I picked up the following gear:
Arista CAB-SFP-SFP-2M DAC
JUNIPER SPP5200SR-J6-M SFP+
Arista SFP-10G-SRL SFP+

All of the new gear worked without any issues. Also contrary to what mrseth1 said I mixed all of my SFP+ modules, not one pair is from the same vendor and it seems to be working fine for me.
Same here. On the switch side, I have Ubiquiti and Arista SFP+, and on the NIC side I've got Cisco, Extreme, Intel, Mellanox, and some unidentified modules, plugged into X520-DA2, a bunch of Connectx-2, and a Chelsio s320.

I'm also still running whatever firmware shipped with the switch when I bought it in December.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
-Mixing the SFP+ transceivers on either end - fail
Wha? I've never seen that before! Generally speaking, once you're in the optical domain everything is compatible. Do those transceivers work with each other when used in other equipment?

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
So use the manual update procedure to update to the wanted firmware.
I have been running 5.5.0 for some time now, and found to run very well and stable in my env.
Waiting for the next 5.5.x as 5.5.1 does have some troublesome issues
please be aware that ubiquiti have pulled all 5.5.x controller versions due to memory leaks.
for now running 5.4.10 would be the best for this switch