1.6TB Intel DC P3605 (P3600) - $800

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jin

Oct 19, 2016
Fyi, I just bought the pcie version of ssd from the same seller on ebay. It has intel warranty until 2020 and intel ssd toolbox shows full info.

andytyk

Nov 2, 2016
No smart info.
no warranty
Intel ssd toolbox and data center tool can't display life reaming info due to the OEM firmware.

These drives have Intel warranty.

View attachment 2523

Intel sent a replaced drive due to firmware bug on RA12 version cause driver run into Disable Logical ASSERT Mode. The latest firmware is RA13.
Bought one of the AIC ones (seller accepted a BO of $650) and installed it today. I see impossible amounts of writes reported by both the SSD Tool Box and SMART (like ~2PB from some testing over 3 hours), I assume the Oracle firmware is reporting writes in different unit and that's throwing the Tool Box / SMART off? Or is there something horribly wrong going on?

aethervisor

Jan 7, 2017
Anybody else have luck finding the firmware for this? I could only find it on some Chinese PCEva.com.cn site that requires an invite.

aethervisor

Jan 7, 2017
Thanks! Looks like I might need to do it through Linux, tried doing it with the native esxi NVMe update commands but it says:

[root@esxi04lab:~] esxcli nvme device firmware download -A vmhba0 -f /tmp/8DV1RA11.bin -s 1
Failed to commit downloaded firmware to slot 1, 0x2

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks! Looks like I might need to do it through Linux, tried doing it with the native esxi NVMe update commands but it says:

[root@esxi04lab:~] esxcli nvme device firmware download -A vmhba0 -f /tmp/8DV1RA11.bin -s 1
Failed to commit downloaded firmware to slot 1, 0x2
Please keep us updated. I have one of these as well and probably should do a firmware update too.

Here are the firmware changes in case anyone is interested: Minimum Supported Card Firmware Version - Oracle® Flash Accelerator F160 PCIe Card and Oracle 1.6 TB NVMe SSD Product Notes

This is worth noting too:
  • If your Oracle Flash Accelerator F160 PCIe Cards have RA10 or lower, you must upgrade to RA11 before upgrading to RA12 or RA13.

• If your Oracle Flash Accelerator F160 PCIe Cards have RA11 or RA12, you can upgrade directly to RA13.

Last edited:

aethervisor

Jan 7, 2017
Success! I used Ubuntu 16 to do this. So quick steps:
Add universe to apt-get using sudo apt-add-repository universe
apt-get update
apt-get install nvme-cli
Download the 11 version firmware, activate the firmware as shown in the picture posted by neeyuese, if that goes well you can issue a sudo nvme reset /dev/nvme0 command for the firmware to take effect without rebooting. To verify it has updated run sudo nvme fw-load /dev/nvme0 and make sure it is on version 11. Repeat for version 13.

jerrytsao

MILAN X P5800X
Sep 11, 2016
Shanghai, CN
On Ubuntu
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install nvme-cli
sudo nvme list
sudo nvme fw-download /dev/nvme__ --fw='/__/8DV1RA11.bin'
sudo nvme fw-activate /dev/nvme__ --action=1
sudo nvme reset /dev/nvme__
sudo nvme list
sudo nvme fw-download /dev/nvme__ --fw='/__/8DV1RA13.bin'
sudo nvme fw-activate /dev/nvme__ --action=1
sudo nvme reset /dev/nvme__

Last edited:

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
How do these compare performance wise to the intel 750 for something like VM storage on zfs? Seems to perform worse at low queue depths?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
How do these compare performance wise to the intel 750 for something like VM storage on zfs? Seems to perform worse at low queue depths?
for sure this drive have much more endurance than intel 750. I cant say which would perform better, but typically enterprise would perform better in a server environment.

jeffmcjunkin

Oct 30, 2014
Wow, the seller "vineandbrown" accepted a $600 offer. Looks like I found my new workstation boot drive.

Thanks for sharing!