Searching File Content in Windows Server Folders

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Does anybody know why I am unable to search the contents of files (like Excel files) from a workstation computer on a Windows Server folder?

Server: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
Windows Search Service (feature) is installed and running.
Folders are shared and have appropriate permissions for users to write, read, etc.
Folders are included in Indexing Options.

Workstations: Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
Server folders are mapped network drives that can be added to Libraries (Win7) no problem.
Files on Server can be searched by file name; just can't search contents of the file (like Excel files). If the files are located on the workstation, content can be searched, just not when on the Server.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I may be wrong, but doesn't indexing rely on having the application installed in order to generate the search metadata? ie, Excel to create searchable "xls" or "xlsx" files?

I assume that the workstation has the appropriate applications installed and the server does not.

Also, keep in mind that in the advanced settings, one can configure the indexer for filename only or contents as well. Ensure that contents are checked for each file type you're interested in.

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
Does anybody know why I am unable to search the contents of files (like Excel files) from a workstation computer on a Windows Server folder?

Server: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
Windows Search Service (feature) is installed and running.
Folders are shared and have appropriate permissions for users to write, read, etc.
Folders are included in Indexing Options.

Workstations: Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
Server folders are mapped network drives that can be added to Libraries (Win7) no problem.
Files on Server can be searched by file name; just can't search contents of the file (like Excel files). If the files are located on the workstation, content can be searched, just not when on the Server.

I think you need to install the ifilters on the server doing the indexing
Download Microsoft Office 2010 Filter Packs from Official Microsoft Download Center

Reactions: Evan

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
I may be wrong, but doesn't indexing rely on having the application installed in order to generate the search metadata? ie, Excel to create searchable "xls" or "xlsx" files?

I assume that the workstation has the appropriate applications installed and the server does not.

Also, keep in mind that in the advanced settings, one can configure the indexer for filename only or contents as well. Ensure that contents are checked for each file type you're interested in.
Thank you! I hadn't thought about that. If mervincm's suggestion of installing the ifilters doesn't work, I'll try that next. Thanks again.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
One thing I had to do to access the remote server index is to create a new library on the local workstation machine, and then hyperlink it to the share folder on the server that you want to search.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
One thing I had to do to access the remote server index is to create a new library on the local workstation machine, and then hyperlink it to the share folder on the server that you want to search.
Thanks azev for your input! Apparently all I had to do this time was install the Microsoft Office 2010 Filter Packs.