Houston Area Business Partner

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

R Langley

Banned
Dec 18, 2016
How's everyone's holidays going?

Anyone in the Houston area interested in running a web hosting business? Myself and a close lad of mines were opening up a hosting company here in the Houston area we came up with a plan of myself purchasing the Data Center space him purchasing servers hard drives and what not this past week after I paid for the Data Center space and cross connects and what not he bailed on me on the whole project.

I ended up paying $5,000 to Cogent for a year contract for 100Mbps Network with a /23 IP block and IPv6 ready network and also paid $15,000 to Neutrality in Houston for 6 full cabinets for a year with no monthly cross connect fees.

Because my leases are 5 years with Cogent and Telia as well as Neutrality I have an onsite business office as well as a personal NOC room.

I currently have 20 dedicated servers which range from Dual Intel Xeon 5630's to Intel Xeon E3-1220's, 1GIG switches and KVMoIP switches and devices everything basically to run the company besides a few little things.

Everything is paid up and all the services will start on January 1st. I am looking for a partner preferable in the Houston area to partner up with me to keep the project going. If you are not in the Houston area and would like to become my partner remotely that is also available but I prefer someone I can sit down with and chat with.

There are no requirements to discuss the position except being 18 or older in order to be apart of a LLP. If you have any question please PM me.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
How's everyone's holidays going?

Anyone in the Houston area interested in running a web hosting business? Myself and a close lad of mines were opening up a hosting company here in the Houston area we came up with a plan of myself purchasing the Data Center space him purchasing servers hard drives and what not this past week after I paid for the Data Center space and cross connects and what not he bailed on me on the whole project.

I ended up paying $5,000 to Cogent for a year contract for 100Mbps Network with a /23 IP block and IPv6 ready network and also paid $15,000 to Neutrality in Houston for 6 full cabinets for a year with no monthly cross connect fees.

Because my leases are 5 years with Cogent and Telia as well as Neutrality I have an onsite business office as well as a personal NOC room.

I currently have 20 dedicated servers which range from Dual Intel Xeon 5630's to Intel Xeon E3-1220's, 1GIG switches and KVMoIP switches and devices everything basically to run the company besides a few little things.

Everything is paid up and all the services will start on January 1st. I am looking for a partner preferable in the Houston area to partner up with me to keep the project going. If you are not in the Houston area and would like to become my partner remotely that is also available but I prefer someone I can sit down with and chat with.

There are no requirements to discuss the position except being 18 or older in order to be apart of a LLP. If you have any question please PM me.
Sorry R Langley.... this doesn't sound right to me at all. Your network. Your servers. Your business arrangement. The circumstances.

I am not saying it is a scam... but it looks like a scam.

R Langley

Banned
Dec 18, 2016
Sorry R Langley.... this doesn't sound right to me at all. Your network. Your servers. Your business arrangement. The circumstances.

I'm not sure how exactly it could even possibly in anyway sound like a scam. Which is why a Houston area partner would be the best so they can actually come out to the Data Center and see everything and make there decision after coffee and seeing everything.

Last edited:

Zankza

Feb 1, 2014
I think that, if you explained your intentions along what kind of expectations are being expected from said partner would clear up so many questions.

Most of the partnerships and common-startups just require funding to get going, and from what you've said, you've already acquired that part, I can't possibly see what do you need from additional partners, at this point, you just need more employees.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@R Langley please don't take this response as the community being negative, but we've had a recent string of scams listed here and the unusual nature and lack of details in your request sets off our alarms. Even worse one of (or possibly the only) scammer we've had operated out of Houston and also appears to have run a scam using colo space, so you can see how things line up poorly for you. All this combined with you joining up not even a week ago will likely make most members unwilling to take any risk on you.

I hope you're legit and that you find someone here who is a good match for your business plan, but more importantly I hope that anyone that is interested does their due diligence and protects themselves.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think what they're getting at is what do you expect from your partner?

• Are you looking for someone to manage business operations now that you have the hardware?
  • Do you have any software licenses to manage the business and/or hosting?
  • Kayako Support software, WHMCS, cPanel/WHM licenses, quickbooks, etc...?
  • What up front costs do you need from a partner or are they for labor/operations management only?
  • Are you scaling up an existing business or starting from scratch?
  • What made you jump into this business? Do you have complimentary business to pull clients over?
  • Tons more.... but that's a good start.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016

• Are you looking for someone to manage business operations now that you have the hardware?
  • What up front costs do you need from a partner or are they for labor/operations management only?
  • What made you jump into this business? Do you have complimentary business to pull clients over?
I have friends who have talked about starting a webhost, they would be interested if they had answers to these type of questions.

Also 6 cabinets seems like a lot if you are just starting, so you have customers already? What segment of the hosting market are you targeting? PM me if you don't want to post it all.

R Langley

Banned
Dec 18, 2016
I think that, if you explained your intentions along what kind of expectations are being expected from said partner would clear up so many questions.

Most of the partnerships and common-startups just require funding to get going, and from what you've said, you've already acquired that part, I can't possibly see what do you need from additional partners, at this point, you just need more employees.
Will sum this up with the reply below.

• Correct I am looking for someone to manage the operations.
  • I have all the software needed to run the platforms that I want to run.
  • WHMCS is one of the modules being used correct.
  • The upfront cost I would like to my partner to have is $5,000 it will be a partnership and my partner will be profiting from hardware and space that is already purchased for the year. I would like to my partner to bring something to the table as well because he will be on payroll once he/she starts. I don't want someone that will just come collect some profit and then leave.
  • I am not scaling up an existing business the business is from scratch.
  • I have a Major in Business Management and a Minor in Computer Engineering so computers have always been my partake.

I have friends who have talked about starting a webhost, they would be interested if they had answers to these type of questions.

Also 6 cabinets seems like a lot if you are just starting, so you have customers already? What segment of the hosting market are you targeting? PM me if you don't want to post it all.
Hey how are you. So the background is for the last 3 years I've been saving to start up a web hosting company offering colocation, private cloud hosting as well as dedicated hosting. Within this last month I had a partner that was working with me getting the proper business plan and setup going, we both decided that Neutrality in Houston was the best place for us to start out which is a Data Center for Wholesale in Houston Texas. I currently do not have a business I am expanding but I have spent a good amount of money getting everything designed and running.

What I have done so far is close contracts with Cogent, Telia and Verizon as far as the network goes. I have also closed contracts with Neutrality for Data Center space. The target market I am looking into is managed hosting such as Managed Colocation, Managed Dedicated Hosting as well as Managed Private Cloud Hosting. The business plan I have come up with is great for profit and retaining customers. I live within 2 miles of the Data Center and have full access to it as well as 24/7 access to the NOC team on site. EvoNoc Solutions | Houston Managed Hosting Platform is the current business website so you can see a bit of the plans I am going to be offering.

I'm hoping to find a business partner not only in the Houston area or Remotely but someone that has experience in the Hosting field. I currently hold a Bachelors Degree in Business and a Minor in Computer Engineering, however I would love to have someone on board that has more street/market smart unlike myself who is strictly book smart.

I saw some comments on people asking why I really need a business partner if I already have everything I need to succeed. What a lot of people do not know is its very hard to run a business without a partner not only for moral support and motivation to each other but for business / financial support, financial support being irrelevant in this matter. I have spend my saving for the last 3 years to start up this company and I really don't want to fail. I want to have someone on my team that can not only help financially but psychically and mentally. I am not looking for many employees will just be a 2 man show for now if I have a remote partner ill be doing all the Data Center hands and what not because I have a pretty stiff contract with Neutrality being able to have access to the full building which include business suites, dining restaurants, conference rooms as well as night stay rooms. If my partner happens to be one from in the Houston area they will also benefit from this.

If you need to know more I'm here for answers.

Last edited:

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010

and @Zankza are on top of this.

I can't think of a web hosting company that uses LLP instead of LLC? Restrictions on corporate owners, fully liable partner, nonsensical. And to say "18" year olds as partners in a LLP is crazy. I was a responsible 18 year old - or so I thought - but even I wouldn't trust myself in a LLP. Too many red flags without even getting to the business plan details.

Yesterday's catch.

Reactions: R Langley

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
As they say on Shark Tank, "I'm Out".

Hosting doesn't require a $20k+ investment to get started, especially if you're 100% new to the business. There's a lot of very poor business choices blatantly obvious in addition to the fact that your own website isn't even hosted on an IP block owned/assigned to you.

If you truly invested this money and this is your first business then I really hope you learn a lot and your next business goes better.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Curious as to why this thread wasn't simply deleted outright for solicitation.
Who doesn't love some holiday entertainment?

Seriously though it's fun to see where these threads end up :)
I'm sure it will be closed, deleted, something soon ;)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Curious as to why this thread wasn't simply deleted outright for solicitation.
Part of it is that I have not had the chance to read fully.

Second is that we have let people solicit paid help on the forums for small bits of work. I have asked for help so need to not be hypocritical.

Need to think about how to handle this going forward.

I would say from the first post I would not be investing in this venture due to what I see as a high amount of risk. Web hosting is profitable for only a small few folks and the majority who venture into the space lose money. Things like the 100mbps connection are perplexing as well.

Merry Christmas though. Will weigh in soon as I get a chance to read.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Might be hes gotten a 100Mbit 95th percentile on a gig link.. (I would imagine that being the case)

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
I got a good remembrance of our friend Geene reading his initial post @MiniKnight

Reactions: Geen G

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
As they say on Shark Tank, "I'm Out".

Hosting doesn't require a $20k+ investment to get started, especially if you're 100% new to the business. There's a lot of very poor business choices blatantly obvious in addition to the fact that your own website isn't even hosted on an IP block owned/assigned to you.

If you truly invested this money and this is your first business then I really hope you learn a lot and your next business goes better.
You are right, the official website seems to be hosted in Namecheap shared or reseller hosting with perhaps free whmcs. With such a scale, i'm really puzzle why still host with NC. And also, the domain whois information shows LLC instead of LLP.

b3nz0n8

Feb 18, 2013
Spoor... and what not

and what not this past week after I paid for the Data Center space and cross connects and what not

will just be a 2 man show for now if I have a remote partner ill be doing all the Data Center hands and what not
GoNode5:

Just though I would show a cool update I implemented yesterday. It is a support add on so when clients order certain things and they want to track how the service is going and how long its taking and what not I've applied this:

This add on is mostly used for premium support clients which is a $5 add on per month that you can order and we offer 20 minute support responses and fixed so I'm using this to track how I'm doing with the responses and fixes. I personally think its a great add on from WHMCS and will work wonders for my company.

Enjoy the read.

Edited October 25 by GoNode5

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
As a reminder, GoNode5 is associated with our good friend Joshua Prout (or whatever his name is)

Geen G

Banned
Nov 13, 2016
Who is Geene Green, @Patrick can we get this shit banned
Damn your so hurt that it turns to accusing other members lol that's too funny. I'm not sure why I'm not banned yet but this is a funny read. I feel sorry for this guy lol too funny I'll enjoy the rest of this while eating my popcorn.

Toodles @Patrick