Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
But I just bought a USED - Quanta LB6M for $260 with 24 SFP+ ports. This is only 16 port...
Is it because it's new for $300? Do people really prefer new items that much?
If you're comparing the two:
The LB6M is a layer 3 switch, 2x more 10g ports, and dual power supplies.

This switch is layer 2, 2 x less 10g ports, and single power supply. However, what it has over the LB6M is a GUI, less power usage, and much quieter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I have mine connected to an LB6M with no issues. You just need to make sure you get a cable that will work as the USG is picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle

This switch is layer 2, 2 x less 10g ports, and single power supply. However, what it has over the LB6M is a GUI, less power usage, and much quieter.

The LB6M has twice as many SFP+ ports, but the USG has 16 10g ports (12SFP+ and 4 RJ45)

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Ahh, that makes sense. I didnt think of the power and how loud it would get. That makes sense. I actually need 1 more 10G switch, but I dont know how I feel about using "beta" stuff, specially when I dont have any freaking clue how to connect it to the rest of the devices.
I have had two up and running for more than a week now. Yeah, they were a bit picky about cables, but everything is working great. All of my ESXi, FreeNAS and Windows servers are all dual connected. I can reboot one of the switches and only miss 1-2 pings.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
I have mine connected to an LB6M with no issues. You just need to make sure you get a cable that will work as the USG is picky.

Do you do the intervlan routing on the LB6M?

Minimum

Nov 4, 2016
Aliso Viejo, CA
Yes, please post a couple pics when you have the replacement fans secured and please keep me posted on what you modified to make it work since I'm looking my Ubiquity 48 port switch, which I also just received, and need replacement fans on and I just don't see how a 40mm fan will work in a 30mm slot. Only one screw can be used, and the lid won't close with a 40mm fan.
I just got home and the fans were waiting for me. I opened up the switch and started replacing the fans. I mounted one of the fans without any issues. I'm only using one rubber mount for it. I haven't tested it yet but I don't think it will be an issue with such a small fan.

The other fan is an issue though. The console port does not allow it to be easily mounted with a rubber mount. I can only think of mounting it with twist ties or zip ties if I can find ones small enough for the job. Any ideas on your end?

Full album: ubiquiti us-16-xg fan upgrade

Reactions: Dean

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Hot glue?

Do the stock fans spin quietly in free air without being restricted by the fan cut outs on the chassis?

Dean

Jun 18, 2015
I just got home and the fans were waiting for me. I opened up the switch and started replacing the fans. I mounted one of the fans without any issues. I'm only using one rubber mount for it. I haven't tested it yet but I don't think it will be an issue with such a small fan.

The other fan is an issue though. The console port does not allow it to be easily mounted with a rubber mount. I can only think of mounting it with twist ties or zip ties if I can find ones small enough for the job. Any ideas on your end?

Full album: ubiquiti us-16-xg fan upgrade
Nice ! Mine arrive Friday.. looks a lot better than expected.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015

Totally agree with you! I like the LB6M, but I have never pulled the trigger on it. I have wanted 10G connectivity, but...

I have an existing Procurve 5400 series switch as my core network. Being HP, it too is picky on it's optics for any of the SFP+ that is stuck into it... Adding ports to it is very expensive. 4 ports SFP+ recently set me back $350+ship. That's a great deal in the HP world. So, need to protect the investment in that switch (it's got 10Gbe, 1G ports and compute blades..) It's not loud, and it's not hot, but it likes power...

I have Cat 6 wired in my house, so, this is the most inexpensive way to get 10Gbe to the Office. A pair of the US-16-XG running copper 10Gbe, and one of the US-16XG's uplinks to the Procurve. It all works. All that is about the same as the typical price of one 8 port 10-gbase switch (1 Netgear $950+Ship, 2 XG's + Blade + ship $950).

This would mean I would need the LB6M for just my rack in the basement. Good, but, means my workstation does not benefit at all from all the money spent. I already use Fiber Channel, so 10Gbe does not help on the data transfer side inside the rack, and since I would be limited to 1Gbe to any client outside the rack, it was a iffy purchase... combine that with high power and loud... LB6M is awesome, but it's a deal breaker in my particular case.

The other issue with the LB6M is they are Data Center products. They run hot, they run loud. I had a LB4M which I modded the fans on to get the noise down. The temperature was always just below the warning. After a year of running like that it just up and quit. Cannot blame the switch, since I modded the cooling, my own fault for putting it in a environment it was never meant to go in. I learned from that about the need for airflow, and even the need for air flow reversal at home, etc.

The offer for 24SFP+ ports, and 16 10gbase ports for 600$US+ship is awesome in my particular case, and no need to mod the fans in my case, since it is quite quiet (my fish tank pump in the office drowns it out...)

I can also confirm Arista original DAC's CAB-SFP-SFP-2M work in each SFP+ port.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
I just got in a couple of 40mm noctua fans and replaced the itty bitty fans that came with it. They don't come close to lining up properly but are MUCH quieter and seem to push just as much air even though they are misaligned. Here are some images in case anyone else decides to do it:
Would either of you be so kind as to confirm the model # of the Sunon fan?

The best I can make it out of @Jeff Robertson's image is that it's a MC30151V2-000U-?99
Trying to look up the datasheet to compare the CFM rating. The PDF says it's a 30mm fan 4.8 CFM @ 7000RPM, 27 dbA
http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/DCFAN/MC3015_U.pdf

The Noctua NF-A4x10 is a 40mm fan 4.8 CFM @ 4500 RPM, 18 dBA

Wondering if it'd be worth printing some of these at my local library to 'properly' mount the fans:
40mm to 30mm Fan Duct by AtticusG3
30mm to 40mm Fan Duct by fleford

Minimum

Nov 4, 2016
Aliso Viejo, CA
I came across another issue with the fans. With the way the case goes together it isn't viable to mount them to the bottom half of the case. If you try to do that the fan will block the top half of the case from sliding together.

I ended up velcroing the fans to the top half of the case for now. I slid them in place as much as I could. They're a few milimeters from the actual vent. I'm not too worried about them shifting due to the amount of force applied to them from the bottom and top halves of the casing.

Hot glue?

Do the stock fans spin quietly in free air without being restricted by the fan cut outs on the chassis?
I didn't think of hot glue last night. I'm not sure if it will completely hold in place but it's worth a shot.

They're definitely quieter than the stock fans without the included low noise adapter. It's not quiet enough to comfortably sleep in the same room with but it is quieter. I have this switch in my bedroom so I will try out the adapters tomorrow.

Would either of you be so kind as to confirm the model # of the Sunon fan?

The best I can make it out of @Jeff Robertson's image is that it's a MC30151V2-000U-?99
Trying to look up the datasheet to compare the CFM rating. The PDF says it's a 30mm fan 4.8 CFM @ 7000RPM, 27 dbA
http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/DCFAN/MC3015_U.pdf

The Noctua NF-A4x10 is a 40mm fan 4.8 CFM @ 4500 RPM, 18 dBA

Wondering if it'd be worth printing some of these at my local library to 'properly' mount the fans:
40mm to 30mm Fan Duct by AtticusG3
30mm to 40mm Fan Duct by fleford
The model # is MC30151V2-0000-G99

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Totally agree with you! I like the LB6M, but I have never pulled the trigger on it. I have wanted 10G connectivity, but...

I have an existing Procurve 5400 series switch as my core network. Being HP, it too is picky on it's optics for any of the SFP+ that is stuck into it... Adding ports to it is very expensive. 4 ports SFP+ recently set me back $350+ship. That's a great deal in the HP world. So, need to protect the investment in that switch (it's got 10Gbe, 1G ports and compute blades..) It's not loud, and it's not hot, but it likes power...

I have Cat 6 wired in my house, so, this is the most inexpensive way to get 10Gbe to the Office. A pair of the US-16-XG running copper 10Gbe, and one of the US-16XG's uplinks to the Procurve. It all works. All that is about the same as the typical price of one 8 port 10-gbase switch (1 Netgear $950+Ship, 2 XG's + Blade + ship $950).

This would mean I would need the LB6M for just my rack in the basement. Good, but, means my workstation does not benefit at all from all the money spent. I already use Fiber Channel, so 10Gbe does not help on the data transfer side inside the rack, and since I would be limited to 1Gbe to any client outside the rack, it was a iffy purchase... combine that with high power and loud... LB6M is awesome, but it's a deal breaker in my particular case.

The other issue with the LB6M is they are Data Center products. They run hot, they run loud. I had a LB4M which I modded the fans on to get the noise down. The temperature was always just below the warning. After a year of running like that it just up and quit. Cannot blame the switch, since I modded the cooling, my own fault for putting it in a environment it was never meant to go in. I learned from that about the need for airflow, and even the need for air flow reversal at home, etc.

The offer for 24SFP+ ports, and 16 10gbase ports for 600$US+ship is awesome in my particular case, and no need to mod the fans in my case, since it is quite quiet (my fish tank pump in the office drowns it out...)

I can also confirm Arista original DAC's CAB-SFP-SFP-2M work in each SFP+ port.
Did your mod your LB4M or your LB6M? I couldn't tell which died in your case. Interested in this as it would be great if there was a solid solution to make it not so loud and lower the power usage.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
LB4M... The chipset in them gets very hot and needs a lot of LFM to keep it cool. The fans are 7k and 15k rpm so they are loud and whining in the LB4M. I replaced with 5k fans and they where barely enough. The old LB4M fans made great RAID HBA coolers for my LSI controllers though...

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
after waiting some weeks , i ask them:

got a refund.

The Message i got :

Hi Zeynel,

Thank you for contacting us. Both of your order has been put on hold since it seems that the orders will be shipped outside of the United States and we not allowed to have products shipped outside of the US. (Please see the screenshot below from our online store).

We'll need to cancel the orders and provide you with a refund that you can expect to see to your account within the next few days.

Thank you.

They are right, i used a Ship.to adress inside the USA.

Have any other OUTSIDE USA buyers same experiences ?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I used crossboardershipping.ca and no issues

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
I used crossboardershipping.ca and no issues

Looks like they updated the store. It will not accept credit cards with foreign addresses anymore. I just tried to order one of the inwall AC units on the beta site, and it complains card info does not match shipment address in the US.

So, looks like only those stateside, or with a US credit card can order :(