Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

namike

Sep 2, 2014
I think I have the exact same set, probably from the same buyer. The cables are indeed Cisco's.

On the server side (VMware ESXi 6.0 build 3620759) sees the connection as up, but the switch doesn't see the link as up.
MET Server Parts (seller). Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I need to either acquire some different DACs or throw some 10Gb SFP+ SR optics in the cards plus some OM3 cables. Those that have received their switch, do you have any suggestions for DACs or SFP+?

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Mine finally arrived from across the border. Their choice of fan is annoying considering how low wattage this thing is. It has a whiny sound reminiscent of the Dell Powerconnect 2724.

EDIT: Derp. I didn't RTFM... it doesn't support Link Aggregation. Sadface.

EDIT 2: My bad. It won't expose Aggregate on a port where it detects an uplink to another Ubiquiti device.

Last edited:

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Mine finally arrived from across the border. Their choice of fan is annoying considering how low wattage this thing is. It has a whiny sound reminiscent of the Dell Powerconnect 2724.

EDIT: Derp. I didn't RTFM... it doesn't support Link Aggregation. Sadface.
Noctua makes some 40mm fans that fit and are much quieter. I had to come up with my own mounting hardware (twist ties) since the fans it comes with are 30mm but overall its a very good upgrade when you are allergic to noise like me :).

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Noctua makes some 40mm fans that fit and are much quieter. I had to come up with my own mounting hardware (twist ties) since the fans it comes with are 30mm but overall its a very good upgrade when you are allergic to noise like me :).
What did you get exactly? ..... I'm allergic to noise as well.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Looks like the Beta Store dropped the price to straight $299 to deal with the special price randomly expiring.
It actually isn't expiring per se, they can't figure out why it keeps changing back to 599 so you have to ask them to reset it back. I am not aware that they stated an end date for the beta pricing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
A few shops list the non beta version for january/february 2017, I would say the beta pricing will last till mid january.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Some notes I had from a quick setup last night... As expected, I had some issues with certain ports not detecting a link.

Base-T ports:
Chelsio T420-BT2
Ports 13 and 14 - OK
Ports 15 and 16 - No link

XS708T
Ports 13 through 16 - OK

SFP+ ports:
Mellanox ConnectX-2 w/Cisco 3M DAC
Ports 1 and 2 - OK
Ports 11 and 12 - No link

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
Some notes I had from a quick setup last night... As expected, I had some issues with certain ports not detecting a link.

Base-T ports:
Chelsio T420-BT2
Ports 13 and 14 - OK
Ports 15 and 16 - No link

XS708T
Ports 13 through 16 - OK

SFP+ ports:
Mellanox ConnectX-2 w/Cisco 3M DAC
Ports 1 and 2 - OK
Ports 11 and 12 - No link
Why is this expected? I have essentially your same setup for SFP+, and I'm not going to be happy if only two of the ports work.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
There are issues with DAC cables and non UBNT sfp optics, it is a crap shoot if they will work correctly and if they will work in all ports. Officially UBNT is only supporting their SFP+ optics though they are not locking the ports down. If your optics/cables work then great if not......

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I finally had a chance to play a bit with my new switches and existing stack. Was very hopeful - but disappointment to discover that most of my DAC cables are in the "don't work" category. I'll get specific part numbers for the compatibility list late today but most of them were sourced through Juniper.

I have a few 1M Cisco DACs that work (as reported by others). But they are too short to reach most of what I need to connect.

Back to ebay...

Reactions: SebastianJ

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
I received one of the beta 16-XG switches, but I'm just getting around to testing it. At this point what seems to be the most reliable route to connect Mellanox ConnectX3-EN NICs or Intel 82599 based NICs to the Ubiquiti switch?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I received one of the beta 16-XG switches, but I'm just getting around to testing it. At this point what seems to be the most reliable route to connect Mellanox ConnectX3-EN NICs or Intel 82599 based NICs to the Ubiquiti switch?
It appears to be more about what you connect them with than what you connect them to...

Lots of issues with using DAC cables. Very few consistent successes except the 1M Cisco DACs. If you are using SFP+ SR optics most seem to work. Semi-official comparability list Ubiquiti's forums here:

US-16-XG Compatibility Reports