EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Ahhhh, I figured it was after you registered, just wanted to ask anyway. I'll register one of mine and check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
SAS 9206-16e Host Bus Adapter

Has anyone tested this..or its variation?
Dell rebrands it to SC 8000

Edit : Gene said earlier it would get hot without additonal cooling.. Any other recommendations?
Preferably under 150

Looks like i have 2 options here...

2x QSFP to SFF 8644 + SC 8000 card (~$200) or
2x QSFP to SFF 8088 + SFF-8087 to External 8088 Adapter + M1015 card (~$160 without the card)
cabls found from this site
QSFP to MiniSAS(SFF-8088) DDR Cable 0.5M | QSFP MiniSAS
Anyone bought their cables?

Which one should i choose?
They had QSFP+ to SFF-8644 cables for cheap (compared to other vendors) ==> 10Gtek 4x Mini-SAS HD (SFF-8644) to QSFP Cable, 1-Meter(3.3ft) (36$)

If someone have already tested theses ones with this chassis, i'm interrested to know it !!

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
I wonder if instead of using SFF8644/SFF8088 to QSFP, you could use the QSFP to 4x SFP+ breakout cables to a 10GBe router/switch and just have everything routed through that without having to do direct attach.

Would that work in theory?
Absolutely not. SAS != Ethernet.

You can get SAS switches, but they're rare and a bit funky. IIRC, someone was selling on on this forum recently.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
anybody tried this with 1 lane only? technically it's 2 separated rack with 2 backplanes isnt it?
I dont feel like using 2x1650 psu watt when one of them is more than enough for my need now..

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Mine is mostly full of SATA drives with a few SAS. I have one cable going into each controller from my server. The first controller sees all of the drives, while the second controller only sees the SAS drives. So, presumably, this is just a "normal" dual-channel SAS expander, with 60 ports. If you want performance, figure out which controller talks to the primary channel (the only one SATA devices use) and run 2 cables to that, ignoring the other one.

Reactions: denywinarto

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Ah, I'd missed the power supply question. They're redundant power supplies. You could unplug one, but it'd probably save you 10% at most, and it might set off an alarm. That'd be easy to test, though.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Running only one power supply is fine. Only having one plugged in turns the fans on the second unit anyway so I just leave one unplugged and everything operates just fine.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Good to know.. i'm building a custom ups and it will need high accu for this much watt..

nevermind about the sas card.. it's actually plugged in.. i thought it was too small my bad :)

Last edited:

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Dell SAS Controller Compellent SC8000 4-port Host Bus Adapter H3-25553-01A TFJRW | eBay

Boy this really gets hot fast.. any other alternatives?
Gonna buy one with the fan as a backup

How bout this? anyone tried it?

OEM LSI SAS 9300-8e 8-port 12Gb/s SATA+SAS pci-e3.0 Low Profile Host Bus Adapter | eBay

Edit : having trouble getting the dell card to work.. searched a bit but found nothing.. a little help?
I updated the LSI controller 2308 mustang driver to the latest version but it still can't detect the enclosure

Last edited:

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Need little help here.. there's very little documentation about both products and how to install them...
This is my specs (mobo only temporary for testing purpose)

Motherboard : Gybagite GA B150m ds3h
Processor : Intel i3 skylake
Ram : 8Gb ddr4 corsair
SSD : Kingston 120gb + windows server 2012 R2 datacenter
SAS card : DELL SC8000 or A.K.A lsi 9206-16e

I updated the LSI controllers to the latest firmware by following the guide here SAS 9206-16e Host Bus Adapter
But it still wont see the HGST 4u60.. any idea why?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
That's kinda strange. I had a similar issue with my 9201-16e cards but after updating to the latest firmware it finally saw them.

This is going to sound silly but have you tried hooking anything else up to those cards to see if it will see anything at all?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
That's kinda strange. I had a similar issue with my 9201-16e cards but after updating to the latest firmware it finally saw them.

This is going to sound silly but have you tried hooking anything else up to those cards to see if it will see anything at all?

I dont think i have anything else to test it with..
it does get warm though.. is that why? Somebody said earlier that there would be issues if it gets warm
Did you update the firmware manually by searching the inf through the folders?
Do i need to flash it to it mode too?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Edit : problem solved ! Had to use -fwall firmware to update all of them..
Now it's detected but as SAS in disk manager..

Another thing i cant figure out.. How do i turn off the enclosure? Is it safe to just unplug it?

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016

Another thing i cant figure out.. How do i turn off the enclosure? Is it safe to just unplug it?
Yes you have to unplug it to turn it off

As to the 9201-16e i had to add a fan blowing onto it to keep it from crashing and dropping all drives until reboot

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Anyone investigated how power efficient those are?

Thinking of moving my disks from my SC847 to the HGST and using a smaller case for the host, diskless.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016

Infigired it was the firmware as it was acting just like mine did. Prior to update it acted like it was just dead. Glad you got it running. Mine gets toasty as hell as I don't have a fan blowing directly on it. It's currently in my SM 846 chassis so it gets enough air right now. But a lesser rpm fan and I'd be in trouble!

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Anyone investigated how power efficient those are?

Thinking of moving my disks from my SC847 to the HGST and using a smaller case for the host, diskless.
I don't have anyway to test it as I don't have a new ups yet. But from the other comments at the beginning of this thread I thought I read it idled about 55 watts with no drives running on a single power supply.

So in all honesty it will most likely be less efficient than what you have now unless you have some really power hungry gear in your 847 that's being replaced. That's just my opinion. It figure your disks will consume the same power no matter where they are so it comes down to whatever power difference you will have by going to the new smaller diskless case + the 55 watts to have the 60 bay idle on one power supply.

I had the same thoughts when I bought mine and come to find out my 24 bay 846 chassis were more efficient. They idled at 55 watts each with all 24 drives spun down but powered on. I ran them as unRAID servers so I had low power components inside.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Infigired it was the firmware as it was acting just like mine did. Prior to update it acted like it was just dead. Glad you got it running. Mine gets toasty as hell as I don't have a fan blowing directly on it. It's currently in my SM 846 chassis so it gets enough air right now. But a lesser rpm fan and I'd be in trouble!

Yes you have to unplug it to turn it off

As to the 9201-16e i had to add a fan blowing onto it to keep it from crashing and dropping all drives until reboot
Now that i think about it, i think it's more likely caused by heating issue..
I shut it down, left it for an hour, boot it and both 8tb and 6tb were listed in Avago bios.. (it was still FW 20 and 13 btw)
I updated the firmware after that..
I'm adding Noctua's 4mm fans on top of it,
but i'm getting a backup cause i dont wanna risk my data

Is LSI 9300-8e a good choice?
There are some variants on ebay, chinese made and refurbished cisco.. thinking of getting the chinese one..

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Sorry double post :

Another question : How do i use the Console port? Can't find this in user manual.. tried connecting LAN cable to the console but the lan indicator wont turn on..

Last edited:

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Hmm there's one thing unclear for me..
Is it really safe to just unplug the cable power? What if the hdd is still spinning? Or maybe when the connected pc is shut down the hdd stops spinning?
Cant find anything about this in all the pdf's
If its the only way to turn off the enclosure then theres no need to use ups isnt it?

Last edited:

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Yes you can pull the power cable but your question is worded a little differently. The HDD's will be spinning but once the host machine shuts down all the disks should be parked so to speak and ok for shutdown as they will have no I/O going on.

A UPS would be used for uninterrupted power as in let's assume your writing to a disk and your power goes out, your servers won't just stop with the head in the middle of the platter.

When I power my units off the drives have typically been spun down so it will spin them up, unmount them from the file system and park the heads. Main unit then shuts down and I kill the power to the HGST chassis.

Hope that makes sense :)