How to reset overheating warning beeps without restarting? [Supermicro X8ST3-F]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Hi guys,

a few times my motherboard [Supermicro X8ST3-F] has started beeping because of a overheat warning. It has never gotten too hot too the point it turned it self off, and the server has continued working as normal except for the beeping. Then I need to shutdown all VMs and reboot manually to turn the alarm off.

Is there a way to reset the warning beeps without rebooting?

Thanks.

(Edit: Hopefully better english)

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I haven't seen a way to turn off the beeps, or fans at 100% once they go into "OMG TOO HOT"mode :(

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks Terry. What exactly happens when I reset the IPMI? I saw those options, but was afraid of "hard booting".

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Thanks Terry. What exactly happens when I reset the IPMI? I saw those options, but was afraid of "hard booting".
The IPMI / BMC is in charge of most monitoring and remote management functions. It / they are separate from the regular CPU(s) on the board. That way they can take action if the regular CPU(s) are not functioning properly.

Rebooting the IPMI should cause it to run through a sequence of re-reading all the sensors, resetting alarms, and so on. Normally this all happens "behind the back" of the regular CPU(s). There are [at least] 2 cases where this can lead to an unwanted reset of the system:
  • If part of the IPMI boot sequence involves sending a reset signal to the rest of the system. This is unlikely, as updating the IPMI firmware (which involves rebooting the IPMI) would cause a reset of the system.
  • If your operating system uses a hardware watchdog timer, the IPMI / BMC may be involved, and if the IPMI boot takes longer than the watchdog timeout, the system may reset due to that.
Neither of those things happen on my X8DTH-iF board, but Supermicro uses many versions of at least 2 different IPMI controllers, so other boards may behave differently.

If this is a one-time thing, I'd suggest just doing a normal power cyle / other reset process when it is convenient and you have your operating system shut down. If the alarms keep happening, you might want to pre-test to see if rebooting the IPMI leaves the operating system unaffected. Depending on what OS you are using, you could drop to single-user / soft halt state (Unix-like systems), pause in the startup process (normally F8 for Windows), etc. Then you'll know if rebooting the IPMI will be safe to use on a running system. On the other hand, if you get frequent alarms you might want to investigate / fix whatever is causing them.

Reactions: nle