WTB Mellanox SX6018 or SX6036 with InfiniBand to Ethernet gateway software license

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
ore something similar

If anyone want so sale one . please feel free to contact me.

I am located in Germany / Berlin.

Thanks

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Have you seen this ?

56GbE Switch License is Now Free | Mellanox Interconnect Community

Not sure if this is exactly the license you are looking for ... i never understood the licensing exactly but would be good to know as i`ll look for those models next year, too..

With these models i`d be careful regarding the firmware / os ... there are a lot of HP / EMC branded switches out there that might have proprietary firmware / os :(

Reactions: KioskAdmin

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the tipps Alex. i will take care , that i purchase a unbranded one.

hmm , i am also a confused about that mybe @DaSaint can help us.

the Mellanox Part Number is : UPGR-6012F-GW or UPGR-6036F-GW // InfiniBand to Ethernet gateway software license for Mellanox 6012 Switch

Reactions: nxsfan

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hm, guess this is a bit different licence, the one i posted seems to be an speed-upgrade to FDR only, when i got this right.

Wow, pricing for your partnumbers is a bit 'over the top' - at least what i found with a short search :eek:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Disregard - I was referring to 6015 (unmanaged 18port ) not 6012 (managed 12 port)

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why not get a 4036E ?

I think I paid around $700 for the one I have.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
The breakout-cables are sort of a mystery in terms of compatibility.
In special when it comes to the point if some of the voltaire-switches/gateways like the 4036E would accept them, and what exact license is required on the others.

I would also like to use those cables on bigger VPI - Switches rather than adding separate 10G Switches.
But seeing the price for the License-Upgrade, going with two more 10G switches is obviously the more economic way, even if these add a significant power-draw :(

@zeynel: I have some of these that i can't use atm, so if you get a switch you want to try them i could send them to you for testing.
40G QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ Passive Cable - 2 Meter | eBay

Edit: if someone else in EU owns an 6036 without this license or an 4036 and wants to try if these cable`s work i`d also make this offer to send them for a trial ;)

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Thanks for the tipps Alex. i will take care , that i purchase a unbranded one.

hmm , i am also a confused about that mybe @DaSaint can help us.

the Mellanox Part Number is : UPGR-6012F-GW or UPGR-6036F-GW // InfiniBand to Ethernet gateway software license for Mellanox 6012 Switch

@zeynel - TBH i have no which one it is, i got the Ether Key as an NFR License for Ethernet based testing vs IPoIB

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
The breakout-cables are sort of a mystery in terms of compatibility.
In special when it comes to the point if some of the voltaire-switches/gateways like the 4036E would accept them, and what exact license is required on the others.

I would also like to use those cables on bigger VPI - Switches rather than adding separate 10G Switches.
But seeing the price for the License-Upgrade, going with two more 10G switches is obviously the more economic way, even if these add a significant power-draw :(

@zeynel: I have some of these that i can't use atm, so if you get a switch you want to try them i could send them to you for testing.
40G QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ Passive Cable - 2 Meter | eBay

Edit: if someone else in EU owns an 6036 without this license or an 4036 and wants to try if these cable`s work i`d also make this offer to send them for a trial ;)
i have a few cables like this i think it all depends on brand as well, what brand are yours? IIR it wont split out IPoIB they are Ether only based cables... they can be 1 or 10gb how you configure them... also some switches require you to leave the port above it free to use these as they use dual channels to make the ether work...