Which mobo is better for 8 Bay NAS

• C236 WSI4-85L

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • X11SSV-M4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X11SSV-M4F

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Perhaps look at the E3-1200 V5 series. I think that is better matched for a NAS.

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
Another issue is memory cost. ECC DDR4 SODIMMs are almost double the cost of normal DIMMs

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
I'm interested in checking out the E3 1500-v5 series for the GVT-d and GVT-g passthrough, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere yet. Other than the previous servethehome article, I'm also interested in reading some more detailed information how GVT-d and -g is/will be implemented/supported in the common hypervisors. For VMWare, would Horizon be necessary or would it be possible to be utilized with a free esxi installation?

Any ETA when these will be on the market?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@josh3light my guess is that we will get a sample in the next two weeks. Retail availability not long after that.

Reactions: EluRex

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I'm interested in checking out the E3 1500-v5 series for the GVT-d and GVT-g passthrough, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere yet. Other than the previous servethehome article, I'm also interested in reading some more detailed information how GVT-d and -g is/will be implemented/supported in the common hypervisors. For VMWare, would Horizon be necessary or would it be possible to be utilized with a free esxi installation?

Any ETA when these will be on the market?
I am afraid GVT-d/g is only available on open-source hypervisors (Xen/KVM). I hope I am wrong and ESXi gets on-board.

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
Very interesting, do you have any link to that info? I was thinking of looking into Xen recently, this may be another good reason...

I am afraid GVT-d/g is only available on open-source hypervisors (Xen/KVM). I hope I am wrong and ESXi gets on-board.

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
E3 is overkill for a NAS. Newer Atom and i3 are appropriate and cheaper. But, if you planning on switching to ESXi/XEN etc later, then E3 is a good place to start.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Very interesting, do you have any link to that info? I was thinking of looking into Xen recently, this may be another good reason...
Intel® Graphics Virtualization Technology (Intel® GVT) | 01.org

Here's a quote:

"As a long-standing member of the open source community, Intel works upstream to ensure that full, open source implementations of Intel® GVT exist for open source virtualization hypervisors, KVM* and Xen*, known respectively as KVMGT and XenGT"

It doesn't exclude ESXi so I still have some hope.

Reactions: EluRex

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
E3 is overkill for a NAS. Newer Atom and i3 are appropriate and cheaper. But, if you planning on switching to ESXi/XEN etc later, then E3 is a good place to start.
Heck, even the pentium and G series support ECC memory making them a viable choice.

One issue is max memory. Older E3/i3/p/g series are limited to 32G, newer are limited to 64G. That could be an issue at 8 drives for some people.

Of course, all bets are off if you want to do more than serve files from the box.

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
Aside from the 32 gb memory limitation, it does look interesting. However, online retailers appear to be pricing it at ~900 dollars, which seems like quite a premium for a 4 core embedded platform without 10gbE.

Looking forward to the power consumption and performance results.

@josh3light Supermicro X11SSV-M4 is now in the lab. I have to say I am extremely interested to see how it performs.

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
In the Intel Ark for E3-1585V5, this entry shows up under "Graphics Video Max Memory"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Video Max Memory 64 GB
----------------------------------------------------------------

Then, am I correct in understanding that any gpu processing for Iris Pro uses the main system memory instead of dedicated graphics memory?
So as an alternative to having a 24GB quadro gpu, you would possibly have a "64GB Iris Pro" gpu? And gpu opencl calculations would now be limited by the entire system memory instead of being limited by dedicated GPU memory?

@josh3light it has a giant heatsink. Apparently the Iris Pro GPU can get very hot.

I think the reason you pay $900 (with a smile) is if you take advantage of GVT-g Intel Xeon E3-1500 V5 - Video and Virtualization CPUs Launched

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do not think it works quite like that on these chips.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
Well technically it does. I have an Intel NUC with A Skylake i5 and Iris Pro graphics. The system RAM is the video RAM (shared between the two).

I have no way of testing something that large but I have 32GB in it and RAM is dynamically allocated for video as it is needed. I can observe this when playing games.

I think the larger problem would be that the actual processing power on the Intel graphics is far below Quadro GPUs so I can't imagine a usage where you would get remotely close to seeing that much usage before running out of processing power.

I'd be happy to test something on the NUC if you'd like: 1.8GHz HT dual core, 4MB L3, 64MB EDRAM, 32GB DDR4 2133.

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
So, using the E3-1500 v5 for shared virtualization, you should be able to allocate fairly large amounts of video ram per VM, right?

Is this use case feasible (if am I understanding this correctly?):
In a 64gb ram system like the asrock:
- simultaneously run gpu accelerated VDI of a Linux VM and Windows VM
- allocate 32gb of system ram for each
- run 3d content creation applications in each which use a large amount of video ram, say 16gb.
- Within those content creation applications, any OpenCL processing functions would utilize the same gpu being used for the current display (this is how it works with a physical/dedicated Gpu).

If this wouldn't work, why not? what are the limitations?

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
So, using the E3-1500 v5 for shared virtualization, you should be able to allocate fairly large amounts of video ram per VM, right?

Is this use case feasible (if am I understanding this correctly?):
In a 64gb ram system like the asrock:
- simultaneously run gpu accelerated VDI of a Linux VM and Windows VM
- allocate 32gb of system ram for each
- run 3d content creation applications in each which use a large amount of video ram, say 16gb.
- Within those content creation applications, any OpenCL processing functions would utilize the same gpu being used for the current display (this is how it works with a physical/dedicated Gpu).

If this wouldn't work, why not? what are the limitations?
I would think this would work. If you have specifics I can test it for you with my i5.

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
I would think this would work. If you have specifics I can test it for you with my i5.
A way to check if opencl is properly running would be the MemtestCL utility from folding@home:
Download Utilities — Folding@home

It would be nice to know if , on the Iris pro, that utility runs without errors inside a virtual machine that's using GVT-g.
However, I'm not sure how to check the amount of memory available to the GPU or opencl without installing extra software.