vSphere 6.5 released.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like this is the end the road for the C# client (which we were already told about). I just updated vCenter to 6.5 and the latest (last?) C# client gives a generic error when trying to login.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like this is the end the road for the C# client (which we were already told about). I just updated vCenter to 6.5 and the latest (last?) C# client gives a generic error when trying to login.
You are correct. The C# client does not work with 6.5 and there is a long list of features (passthrough for one) that does not currently work in the HTML5 client. I won't be upgrading until that missing feature list gets drastically reduced.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
This may just be something that's gonna take time, but it seems that VMware may have dropped support for the Xeon 5500/5600 series processors for a lot of vendors:

VMware ESXi 6.5 - Unsupported Hardware

The very popular (on this board) Dell R610/R710 servers are on this list as not being supported in vSphere 6.5.

Though, the Dell 13th generation servers are also on this list, which makes no sense unless VMware is just lagging with validation testing.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I agree, however if this is for a lab setup then supportability may not be an issue for alot of us.
That was the intent of my post. I couldnt care less if my config is supported, as long as it works.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
A couple of questions for those using it.

Currently using vcsa linux with 6.0 keys... do the 6.0 keys work for 6.5 or is it upgrade only

2. For esxi free, I was using virtuallyghettos's license renew script on the lab machine for simplicity...

A does one uprgade or do a complete reinstall to the esxi USB to upgrade to 6.5
And if you upgrade, does it wipe out the scrip and the other custom mods?

Thanks all....

Also.. I was using a eval of vcsa... any way to download if the original eval account at vmware has expired?

RandyC

Mar 1, 2014
Portland, OR
I am also in the same boat with trying to find a way to download the vCSA. VMWare site shows that I am not allowed to download it with my current account.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
This may just be something that's gonna take time, but it seems that VMware may have dropped support for the Xeon 5500/5600 series processors for a lot of vendors:

VMware ESXi 6.5 - Unsupported Hardware

The very popular (on this board) Dell R610/R710 servers are on this list as not being supported in vSphere 6.5.

Though, the Dell 13th generation servers are also on this list, which makes no sense unless VMware is just lagging with validation testing.
VMware doesn't update the HCL, the vendor does. Understandably, if you're Dell you're going to test currently shipping product first and may or may not get to EOL product at all.

That list is actually 'not yet listed as supported' not 'a list of unsupported systems', technically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
6.5 installed and works on my Dell C1100/CS-24TY with no issues. However, I did get this warning on upgrade: CPU_SUPPORT_WARNING: The CPU in this host may not be supported in future ESXi releases. Please plan accordingly.

I've got dual L5520's. The documentation still says "ESXi 6.5 supports 64-bit x86 processors released after September 2006" so hopefully they really do just mean dropping service support, not actual hardware support.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@ruffy91

thanks

so esxi will upgrade in place, and the vcsa will install a new vm and migrate the old vcsa in if you select it right?

anyone have an idea of if the esxi upgrade will break the license script?