need to power additional disks on Dell T130

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
PicoPSU-80, 60W Power Kit

I bought a Dell T130 for a friend. unfortunately Dell in its infinite wisdom, made the Power Supply very slimmed down/Proprietary.

I want to have 4 3.5" drives and 6 SSD's in the chassis. however there is no normal power molex plug for connecting Y cables to.

Any thoughts on using the kit above to power the additional SSD's? or any other kit that would just power the disks?

Chris

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
did you try dell sales chat? asking them if a cable exists? if so get them to quote you a price for the part, then when you get the email search for the item on ebay. Doesn't always work but worth a shot before heading down custom route.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I have a bunch of these from a previous project. that is not the issue.

the dell PS only has 2 cables running out of it to the MB. one for main power and one for disks. using proprietary connectors. then there is a proprietary sas cable from the H330 to the disks with a custom power connector on the MB.

I am trying to minimize the Frankenstein inside the case. later I will try to upload pics of the inside of the case.

Chris

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
interesting....i did not have problem with my t3610 workstation having it

wfl

Mar 7, 2017
I know this thread is a few months old but I am in kind of the same situation as the original poster in that I need a power supply with SATA power connectors so I am curious about the outcome.

I need to do away with Dell PERC9 H330 Raid Controller in my T130 simply because Dell has an unpublished rule of 'their drives or no support' Their drives were not available when I bought the server and $250 in total more than WD Gold Datacenter drives I always use. I ordered their drives but the shipping date got pushed 3 times and the last time was 2 more weeks so I gave up. I was told when I bought the server that if the drives were not obtainable that the 'big drive makers' enterprise class could be used. So here I am a couple of months later and I have some issues with drive subsystem and they are refusing to do all of the required industry standard diagnostics. They did some but put the brakes on and called it a day.

I searched all over the internet including their site and I have not found anything that states their drives only. The only thing that says anything about raid drives states enterprise drives must be used. If someone knows where this documentation is that states 'their drives only' I would appreciate a message or a post telling me where I can find it.

There is an act that was passed in congress in 1975 to protect consumers from these situations. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Act. There is plenty of information out on the Internet about it and the rules it puts in place that protect the consumer. Of course there are always exceptions to acts passed by congress mostly at the state level but it is there for us.

So here I am and I have two alternatives, buy 4 4tb drives from Dell which cost over $1000 and then I would need to find a home for the $800 set of 4 tb drives I have now which are the same enterprise drives Dell sells or I can try and figure how I can change the power supply and use a different Raid card. I already found a raid card which supports all models of the enterprise drives I have and the card is not expensive. It is an entry level raid card just like Dell PERC9 H330 and it's all I need. The power supply and Sata data and power cables are an issue though and they maybe an issue that can't be overcome which would leave me with $2200 Xeon PC.

If the post was solved I would really appreciate finding out how.

Last edited: