Best value Intel daul SFP+ port NIC?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Title says it all. Need a dual SFP+ port Intel NIC for my PC. I know about the great value of the Melonax NICs but my fiber transceivers are only coded to work with Intel NICs.

bug2th

Jan 7, 2015
anyone know about these SM NICs:

SUPERMICRO AOC-STGN-I2S DUAL-PT 10GB ETHERNET

these look like they are based on the Intel controller 82599ES but have no idea if or how the firmware affects overall use but have seen these on ebay for around $60 and was thinking about picking one up.

Fredrikn

Oct 23, 2016
Can't go wrong w/ Intel X520-DA2's IMHO. There's newer phys I think out by now though but those are rock solid.
I have one of those in my standard PC. Works perfect BUT I had to disable the Smbus first or else the computer refused to boot. It was solved by blocking one of the copper lanes on the pci-e connector on the card. Never had that problem with any server och workstation motherboard but every "home use" motherboard I have tested needed this fix.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have one of those in my standard PC. Works perfect BUT I had to disable the Smbus first or else the computer refused to boot. It was solved by blocking one of the copper lanes on the pci-e connector on the card. Never had that problem with any server och workstation motherboard but every "home use" motherboard I have tested needed this fix.
Thanks for the tip. Do you have any info on exactly which pin(s) needs to be blocked?

Fredrikn

Oct 23, 2016
Thanks for the tip. Do you have any info on exactly which pin(s) needs to be blocked?
Of course. Its pin 5 and 6 on the short (or small) piece on the connector on the card. See picture below. The card on the picture is a Dell Perc 5/i but its the same pins on the intel NIC. I have had the same problem with Perc 5/i card before and the same solution worked with the intel NIC.

pins.jpg