supermicro board Stuck on logo B2.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
one last resot to try, if can not flash bios via ipmi

if your bios is AMI.
USB KEY FORMAT MUST BE FAT32
download the BIOS image into a USB fl ash device, and name the fi le "SUPER.ROM" for the recovery process to load the fi le. A USB fl ash device such as a USB Flash Drive, a USB CD-ROM or a USB CD-RW

1 Insert the USB device that contains the new BIOS image (the ROM files) saved in a root directory into your USB drive.
2 While turning the power on, press and hold CTRL and HOME simultaneously until the USB LED Indicator comes on. This might take a few seconds
3 Once the USB drive LED is on, release the and keys. The AMI BIOS will issue beep codes to indicate that the BIOS ROM fi le is being updated. When BIOS fl ashing is completed, the computer will reboot.

on your monitor the hex code will tell you that the process is successfully or failed.
you need to look motherboard manual and search on recovery bios table hex codes...

good luck

I did this step first on my Tyan, the motherboar was looking for the firmware in the usb key, but failed due on not found the file.
the problem was, TYAN never gave me the "filename" that I have to put in usb key :(.....

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
one last resot to try, if can not flash bios via ipmi

if your bios is AMI.
USB KEY FORMAT MUST BE FAT32
download the BIOS image into a USB fl ash device, and name the fi le "SUPER.ROM" for the recovery process to load the fi le. A USB fl ash device such as a USB Flash Drive, a USB CD-ROM or a USB CD-RW

1 Insert the USB device that contains the new BIOS image (the ROM files) saved in a root directory into your USB drive.
2 While turning the power on, press and hold CTRL and HOME simultaneously until the USB LED Indicator comes on. This might take a few seconds
3 Once the USB drive LED is on, release the and keys. The AMI BIOS will issue beep codes to indicate that the BIOS ROM fi le is being updated. When BIOS fl ashing is completed, the computer will reboot.

on your monitor the hex code will tell you that the process is successfully or failed.
you need to look motherboard manual and search on recovery bios table hex codes...

good luck

I did this step first on my Tyan, the motherboar was looking for the firmware in the usb key, but failed due on not found the file.
the problem was, TYAN never gave me the "filename" that I have to put in usb key :(.....
Well on supermicro boards you also need to move some jumpers to make this recovery thing work, but yet again mobo is making some special unorthodox beeps and then again after about half a min it hangs again :D.... guess the only way to go is to buy this special bios update key...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
As I know... No jumper.. Since bios corrupted.. It fails to load.. This is the reason to press ctrl and home key to tell: if failed to load bios . jump to recovery mode.

If you have dual bios. You can set jumper to boot from secondary flash.

jihoonbyun

Feb 7, 2016
I have solved this issue
Hope to be helped
Try this

1. put window booting USB (or linux) on your board
2. Before the POST state, type F11 then you can access to Boot Menu
3. Booting priority =>hard disk, legacy => UFFI, Override Boot via Window Boot Manager(if your OS is window)
4. Then OS will boot

I don't know exactly why B2 error happened..i guess some crash in OS cause problems
In my case It's start with changing graphic card options(NVIDIA).
anyway first I contacted Supermicro support engineer but his advice was bad. He told me that is the memory issue so I checked all memory cards, not worked.
DO NOT BELIEVE supermicro tech support.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have solved this issue
Hope to be helped
Try this

1. put window booting USB (or linux) on your board
2. Before the POST state, type F11 then you can access to Boot Menu
3. Booting priority =>hard disk, legacy => UFFI, Override Boot via Window Boot Manager(if your OS is window)
4. Then OS will boot

I don't know exactly why B2 error happened..i guess some crash in OS cause problems
In my case It's start with changing graphic card options(NVIDIA).
anyway first I contacted Supermicro support engineer but his advice was bad. He told me that is the memory issue so I checked all memory cards, not worked.
DO NOT BELIEVE supermicro tech support.
well...
you should told that you can access your motherbaord BIOS...
your motherboard has conflict "memory mapping" on graphics cards (internal versus external)..

B2 is memory access issue that could cause by external GPU (graphics card)..
you have to go to bios and set primary GPU to your external card, or use UEFI to handle probing devices (hands of from legacy BIOS)

I had assumption that your bios corrupted from your prior posting, you can not access to motherboard BIOS

I BELEIVE supermicro tech told the truth, but he/she did not know well in detail.
since you can look on B2 error code: Legacy Option ROM Initialization ->https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_4.x_Status_Codes_(beep_checkpoint).pdf

jihoonbyun

Feb 7, 2016
well...
you should told that you can access your motherbaord BIOS...
your motherboard has conflict "memory mapping" on graphics cards (internal versus external)..

B2 is memory access issue that could cause by external GPU (graphics card)..
you have to go to bios and set primary GPU to your external card, or use UEFI to handle probing devices (hands of from legacy BIOS)

I had assumption that your bios corrupted from your prior posting, you can not access to motherboard BIOS

I BELEIVE supermicro tech told the truth, but he/she did not know well in detail.
since you can look on B2 error code: Legacy Option ROM Initialization ->https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_4.x_Status_Codes_(beep_checkpoint).pdf

I couldn't access to bios,too. So I did everything I can do but nothing changed.
The key to solve this problem in this case is just putting the USB OS installer before boot
Then you can access to BIOS magically by interrupting
maybe it's just kind of OS issue. diasapearing window boot manager somthing like that. (Not the hardware)
It's tricky but it's worth try

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I couldn't access to bios,too. So I did everything I can do but nothing changed.
The key to solve this problem in this case is just putting the USB OS installer before boot
Then you can access to BIOS magically by interrupting
maybe it's just kind of OS issue. diasapearing window boot manager somthing like that. (Not the hardware)
It's tricky but it's worth try
on my understandong, yes... you can access by keying repeatly F11 during powering on.
you have to press F11 before B2. 4 year or new motherboard with cpu is fast enough than our finger to trigger key.

by plugging USB key, the Bios will slow down due on detecting attached USB devices.

this is not OS issue, this is legacy BIOS versus UEFI, UEFI probe morely and arrange hardware configuration better than legacy BIOS .

you see disapperaing aka blank screen, due on BIOS tries to switch GPU..

ok, gladly that you solve the problem of external Graphics card :).

Armorfist

Nov 15, 2016
Hi guys,

Just spent countless hours with this issue on a Supermicro X9Dai motherboard. After playing around with the Clover EFI bootloader, all of a sudden the motherboard got stuck on POST, with the B2 status code.
I could not get into either the BIOS nor the "Select boot device" screen. This made it impossible to flash a new bios or clear the NVRAM, which seems to be the main issue in my case.

After a bit of Googling, I came across the SuperMicro UEFI BIOS Recovery guide and it worked! This basically lets you boot into a BIOS recovery mode using a USB dongle and a latest BIOS file. Here's the steps:

1. Using your laptop or spare pc, create a bootable FreeDOS USB dongle
2. Download the latest bios from your motherboard's website. In my case (X9Dai) there is a link "Update Your BIOS" on the motherboard's page.
3. Create a folder in the USB dongle and extract the BIOS files to the folder. Name the folder something easy like "BIOS" so you can "cd" into it later.
4. Leaving all the files in the new folder, make a copy of the BIOS file to the root of the USB dongle (/) and rename it to "Super.ROM" (case sensitive!). The bios file is the largest (about 16mb), named something like "X9DAi5.XXX".
5. Now insert the dongle in the X9Dai motherboard, and as soon as the keyboard powers up, hit "CTRL+Home" until it does two short beeps. It's a distinctive beep, so you'll know. Then wait and see if the BIOS comes in to "APTIO Recovery mode". I had to do this a couple of times to actually get in, not sure why. From here you can set "Reset NVRAM" enabled and "Proceed with Flash Update". There is also an option to "Reset Main Blocks" (something similar), I also enabled that.
6. When done, you'll reboot and should be able to boot again to the FreeDOS USB!
7. (MAY BE OPTIONAL) When booted on the FreeDOS USB, I "cd" into the BIOS folder and re-flashed the BIOS using the "AMI.BAT BIOSFileName.###" command. I'm not sure if this helped, but my BIOS was out of date anyway so I did it.

Important: When flashing the BIOS WAIT UNTIL THE "DOS" PROMPT SHOWS UP AGAIN, ONLY THEN IT'S COMPLETE. After flashing the BIOS, I powered the PC off, disconnected power, removed motherboard battery, cleared CMOS, and put everything back together. Then booted it up, got into bios, Loaded Defaults, saved, and reboot.

Hopefully this will save someone not going through hell like I have.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Hi guys,

Just spent countless hours with this issue on a Supermicro X9Dai motherboard. After playing around with the Clover EFI bootloader, all of a sudden the motherboard got stuck on POST, with the B2 status code.
I could not get into either the BIOS nor the "Select boot device" screen. This made it impossible to flash a new bios or clear the NVRAM, which seems to be the main issue in my case.

After a bit of Googling, I came across the SuperMicro UEFI BIOS Recovery guide and it worked! This basically lets you boot into a BIOS recovery mode using a USB dongle and a latest BIOS file. Here's the steps:

1. Using your laptop or spare pc, create a bootable FreeDOS USB dongle
2. Download the latest bios from your motherboard's website. In my case (X9Dai) there is a link "Update Your BIOS" on the motherboard's page.
3. Create a folder in the USB dongle and extract the BIOS files to the folder. Name the folder something easy like "BIOS" so you can "cd" into it later.
4. Leaving all the files in the new folder, make a copy of the BIOS file to the root of the USB dongle (/) and rename it to "Super.ROM" (case sensitive!). The bios file is the largest (about 16mb), named something like "X9DAi5.XXX".
5. Now insert the dongle in the X9Dai motherboard, and as soon as the keyboard powers up, hit "CTRL+Home" until it does two short beeps. It's a distinctive beep, so you'll know. Then wait and see if the BIOS comes in to "APTIO Recovery mode". I had to do this a couple of times to actually get in, not sure why. From here you can set "Reset NVRAM" enabled and "Proceed with Flash Update". There is also an option to "Reset Main Blocks" (something similar), I also enabled that.
6. When done, you'll reboot and should be able to boot again to the FreeDOS USB!
7. (MAY BE OPTIONAL) When booted on the FreeDOS USB, I "cd" into the BIOS folder and re-flashed the BIOS using the "AMI.BAT BIOSFileName.###" command. I'm not sure if this helped, but my BIOS was out of date anyway so I did it.

Important: When flashing the BIOS WAIT UNTIL THE "DOS" PROMPT SHOWS UP AGAIN, ONLY THEN IT'S COMPLETE. After flashing the BIOS, I powered the PC off, disconnected power, removed motherboard battery, cleared CMOS, and put everything back together. Then booted it up, got into bios, Loaded Defaults, saved, and reboot.

Hopefully this will save someone not going through hell like I have.

it has been a long time,

well in my case I just couldnt even boot to recovery bios using the usb stick, for some reason the mobo couldnt read the stick.

I managed to fix the mobo by purchasing a "BIOS CHIP" off ebay with the latest bios version flashed on it, a guy from my work soldered the chip to the mobo replacing the old one... everything went back to normal...

Armorfist

Nov 15, 2016
it has been a long time,

well in my case I just couldnt even boot to recovery bios using the usb stick, for some reason the mobo couldnt read the stick.

I managed to fix the mobo by purchasing a "BIOS CHIP" off ebay with the latest bios version flashed on it, a guy from my work soldered the chip to the mobo replacing the old one... everything went back to normal...
Yeah that was one of the options that crossed my mind.

Just a couple questions;

1) Not sure if it was the same motherboard, but did you have the same issue ever again with the updated BIOS? I believe mine was "3.0a" and now it's "3.2"
2) Did you buy a "standard" BIOS chip, or was it specific to this motherboard?

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Yeah that was one of the options that crossed my mind.

Just a couple questions;

1) Not sure if it was the same motherboard, but did you have the same issue ever again with the updated BIOS? I believe mine was "3.0a" and now it's "3.2"
2) Did you buy a "standard" BIOS chip, or was it specific to this motherboard?
1. Never had any issue again. my chip was flashed to the latest version, i believe its 3.2.

2. the chip must be specific to the mobo model. you need to deliver this information to the seller before you make the purchase.
plus there are some cheap chinese chips out there which are not the oem ones. you better buy an original chip, it only costs 20 bucks.

also the guy who make the replacement better be wearing anti static wrist strap, and be a skilled solderer because its a really small chip and there are lot of other electronics around that can be destroyed by the heat.

Armorfist

Nov 15, 2016
Good info, thanks for that.

Hopefully it won't come to it, it's working fine for the moment thankfully!

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Had this b2 happen to me on my x9dr3 today out of the blue. Couldn't get into the bios all i did was pop the case open and clear the cmos then i could get into the bios setup my settings and its worked fine since no idea why this happened

satter

Oct 17, 2016
Today my system experienced non graceful poweroff under high load. After poweron it just stuck on post page with code 92. I did CMOS reset and code changed to B2.
Even after a several poweroffs and CMOS resets (via battery and jumper) I was not able to enter BIOS setup.
I tried to hit DEL and then enter PXE config (Ctrl+S), and it worked.
Everything looked ok, except for boot page, there was just empty page without any option.
'Load defaults' and reboot did fix it.
The board is X9DR3-F and I think it has a lot of UEFI/Firmware bugs.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Today my system experienced non graceful poweroff under high load. After poweron it just stuck on post page with code 92. I did CMOS reset and code changed to B2.
Even after a several poweroffs and CMOS resets (via battery and jumper) I was not able to enter BIOS setup.
I tried to hit DEL and then enter PXE config (Ctrl+S), and it worked.
Everything looked ok, except for boot page, there was just empty page without any option.
'Load defaults' and reboot did fix it.
The board is X9DR3-F and I think it has a lot of UEFI/Firmware bugs.
When I got a B2 error on an X10 board after a firmware upgrade, I discovered it was no longer sending out video through my PCIe video card. I had to log in through IPMI to set up BIOS again.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Well nothing worked for me, what I eventually did was ordering the supermicro bios chip with the most updated version, and someone soldered it to the board for me, that fixed the issue.. but well that is an old thread.. ive already gave that board to a friend of mine at work :D.

compuwizz

Feb 25, 2017
I just had this happen to an X10 board during a BIOS update to 3.2 with IPMI firmware 3.81 controlling things. I first reflashed the BIOS with the IPMI. That didn't help. Then I shut the power down to the server from the PDUs. Brought it back up and got into the BIOS to set Above 4G Decoding, PCI PERR/SERR support and turned on SR-IOV support. Save and rebooted, it finally booted fully. Whew that was scary hour or so.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
I had experienced this question on my X9DAi and X9DRL-3F boards.
The main cause is the buggy code on handling UEFI BOOT NVRAM under UEFI mode, which corrupted the BIOS firmware.
I fixed the issue on X9DRL-3F by IPMI BIOS reflashing function, but failed to fixed the issue on X9DAi as it doesn't have IPMI.
After giving my X9DAi to one of my friend, he managed to fixed this but he didn't know why.