Workstation Storage Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Hey all, I'm currently working out a new build for a home workstation that I use to work with my racks and also for pleasure. My current rig is going to be sold and I want to avoid some of the issues I was having with my Samsung Pro NVMe.

My Questions:
  • What is the fastest storage device currently on the market that can be put into a large workstation chassis
  • Would an Intel PCIe SSD be better than an M.2 NVMe in terms of read/write speeds?
  • And lastly, in regards to the answer of the previous 2 questions, would the selected storage device be compatible with Windows 7 or Windows 10? (I can use Server 2012 or 2016, but I prefer a simple PC OS when it comes to everyday use at home)
Price is not an issue. Also, if there is something new coming out soon that would be best, please let me know.

As always, y'alls help is greatly appreciated.

nighthawk43

Nov 17, 2016
Hey all, I'm currently working out a new build for a home workstation that I use to work with my racks and also for pleasure. My current rig is going to be sold and I want to avoid some of the issues I was having with my Samsung Pro NVMe.

My Questions:
  • What is the fastest storage device currently on the market that can be put into a large workstation chassis
  • Would an Intel PCIe SSD be better than an M.2 NVMe in terms of read/write speeds?
  • And lastly, in regards to the answer of the previous 2 questions, would the selected storage device be compatible with Windows 7 or Windows 10? (I can use Server 2012 or 2016, but I prefer a simple PC OS when it comes to everyday use at home)
Price is not an issue. Also, if there is something new coming out soon that would be best, please let me know.

As always, y'alls help is greatly appreciated.
1) Last time I checked, the fastest was the Samsung PM1725. 6000MB/s read, 2000MB/s, and a million read IOPS. Buy a couple of them and stripe them and you will get blazing fast speeds. The rest of the system will become the bottleneck. Also, see this thread: The Million IOPS Club Thread (Or more than 1 Million IOPS)

2) It depends on which Intel PCIe and which M.2 NVMe. For example, the new Samsung 960 beats a lot of the Intel PCIe (at least on paper, I haven't bought one yet). It seems like something faster and better comes out every few months.

3) Yes, they should be.