FS: Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
For sale is my VMware VSAN home lab that I've been building for a few years. I'm only selling before I have a similar development lab at work now The node is built of the following parts:
  • 1 x Intel Xeon E5-2418L (2.1GHz, 4C/8T, 50W TDP)
  • Intel DBS1400FP2 Motherboard
  • Intel RMS25KB080 SG35828 RAID Module (LSI SAS2308 SAS Controller)
  • 6 x 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz 240-Pin DIMM ECC Registered Memory Module - HP 500658-B21
  • Dynatron G785 Heatsink/Fan
  • Brocade 1020 10Gbit CNA NIC
  • 1 x Genuine Brocade 57-0000075-01 SFP+ Transceiver
  • 1 x SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (For booting ESXi)
  • Supermicro SuperChassis 213A
  • 1 x Supermicro PWS-1K21P-1R 1000 Watt 80PLUS Gold Power Supply

This setup absolutely RIPS with VSAN configured. Idle wattage is 118 watts per node (which is pretty awesome for the amount of hardware in each machine) and they are all very quiet, which makes them great for a home lab. I was running vSphere 6.5 on this setup before I decommissioned it. You can run three of these in a VSAN configuration without a switch by creating a mesh topology where each node has a network connection to one another. This would require an additional SFP+ transceiver per node and your network traffic would be limited to using the 1Gb NICS built into the motherboard.

This particular node for sale has a missing rivet in one of the rackmount ear locations (see the pictures below). This does NOT affect using the computer what-so-ever. You just have to be a little careful when you rack it. I'm guessing a very shallow pop rivet from the hardware store would solve the problem if you really want to take your time fixing it.

Pictures

I'm looking to get $180.00 plus shipping.
SOLD!

I also have 3 x SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B 3.5" 5 SATA drive hot swap bays. These are really cool and allow you to put 5 hard drives into a 3 x external 5.25" location in literally any computer case that has that much space. I swapped the loud stock fans with some Antec fans that are significantly quieter. I ran these non-stop in my file server for 3-4 years straight without any issues (I'll make sure to clean off the dust if you decide to buy them). I'll take $50 each shipped or $140 shipped for all three. SOLD!

Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1 - $160 shipped.

Great shape except for one small issue. When removing it from my 846 chassis, I managed to knick the middle of the SAS connector for drive #18 (lower right connector). Below is a photo of the knick. As you can see, it's very minor and has not damaged anything other than a very VERY small portion of surrounding plastic for the connector itself. All pins are straight and function normally (I plugged in a drive to test it).

US transactions only please.

PayPal fees are included in all pricing listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: wsuff

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
As tempting as the compute horsepower is, after looking at 2.5 drive density I don't think it meets my storage needs. I need a chassis with 3.5" drive bays.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
CSE-216 node with more ram is GONE!! Holiday price drop! Buy them now in time to give them to yourself for Christmas!

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Would be interested in 1 of the SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B if still available. Would it fit into a CSE 745 case?