Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR for half price

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great price on the cards. I did a search on the HP 592520-B21 and didn't see any that low unless you OBO'd.

Would love to see details of that project.

wuffers

Dec 24, 2012
Aha, they were not bought through eBay and therefore not OBO'd. I might have bought out the supply (12 listed, bought 12), so I'm not too sure if more are available. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just yet because I may require more, so I'll share once I determine that my needs are met.

Just a quick summary of the project:
- Mixed VMware and Hyper-V virtualization environment
- InfiniBand SAN fabric for a 100TB SAN using ZFS
- 10GbE networking for hosts

All on a relatively "tight" budget - all the SAN fabric and networking gear are all used/refurb, saving us a bundle.

More details later.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
how will this compare to the netgear XS* 10gb 8,12,24 port switches and 10gbase-T ?

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
Aha, they were not bought through eBay and therefore not OBO'd. I might have bought out the supply (12 listed, bought 12), so I'm not too sure if more are available. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just yet because I may require more, so I'll share once I determine that my needs are met.

More details later.
Inquiring minds would love to know of such a source, if you find that your need has been fulfilled.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Wuffers, have you installed your Mellanox switches yet? I could use some advice on connecting to them via serial since I do not have the original DB9 cable.

+1 on this.

I called him up for some LP brackets for the shiny new (well.. refurb) HP 592520-B21 (Mellanox MHQH29C-XTR equivalent, which is a ConnectX-2 dual port QDR adapter), which I picked up @ $100 each.

The 12x HBAs along with 3x HP Voltaire Grid Director 4036 (coincidentally, also featured in Great Deals forum) are for a work project, of which InfiniBand will be the SAN fabric.

Probably going to go with Amphenol QSFP+ cables unless someone can recommend something else. I need 22 of them of varying lengths.

wuffers

Dec 24, 2012
Sorry guys, wasn't checking the thread and was away on vacation in Europe last week.

Inquiring minds would love to know of such a source, if you find that your need has been fulfilled.
Aha, yes. I don't need any more for the project and don't mind sharing. The secret was searching for "592520R-B21", notice the R for HP's Renew program.

Unfortunately, the supplier I got them from no longer has these in stock, but I took all 12 from ACOS:

You may want to try:
Codemicro
or
Mantecho

but my suspicion is that they all worked from the same inventory pool. The latest prices I can see for refurb dual QDRs now are ~$300 each. Sorry!

holy crap,

way good prices and compatible with freebsd for anyone who runs zfs like that

freebsd-infiniband - George Neville-Neil - Re: Infiniband experiment environment setting up

how difficult is this to get up and running, i know it's not a drop in upgrade like an xr997
I have all the SAN fabric in (Infiniband) but still no servers, JBODs or drives yet, although I did get my L2ARC SSDs (Smart Optimus 400GB x4). Still trying to figure out best distro to go with but it won't be FreeBSD at all - it'll be an illumos one.

Wuffers, have you installed your Mellanox switches yet? I could use some advice on connecting to them via serial since I do not have the original DB9 cable.
Yup, got them all installed, tested and flashed latest firmware. It's just a normal null modem serial cable (DB9 F to DB9 F).

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Can I connect these to a Intel 82599 based 10gbE card (TCK99 for the C6100) using a QSA<->SFP+ converter and a SFP+ to SFP+ copper cable?

wuffers

Dec 24, 2012
how will this compare to the netgear XS* 10gb 8,12,24 port switches and 10gbase-T ?
I'm not going to get into the Infiniband vs 10GbE debate here. They're simply two different beasts depending on what you use it for.

The Netgear 8 port switch (XS708E should be going for about $1000 street price) with 10GBase-T would make things a lot simpler with cabling (and support for legacy CAT5/6 cabling and NICs) and cost per port is in the "affordable" range, versus their higher end 24 port which should probably go for $6000 street (versus say $8000 for a Brocade or Dell 10GbE switch). I think the issue would be trying to acquire 10GBase-T NICs on the cheap (most older models that are going for around $50 would be CX4 or SFP+ I believe).

I ended up purchasing two used Dell PowerConnect 8024Fs for the LAN portion of the project, for under $2500 per switch. Close to $100 per port, not factoring in cost of cabling. Add about $20-25 per occupied port (I paid between $40-45 per Cisco SFP+ cable) and that was my 10GbE networking cost.

Can I connect these to a Intel 82599 based 10gbE card (TCK99 for the C6100) using a QSA<->SFP+ converter and a SFP+ to SFP+ copper cable?
I don't see why not. I haven't tried direct connect between the two adapters but currently I have my Intel X520-DA2 (which is a 82599 based controller) connected vis SFP+ to the switch, and a ConnectX-2 VPI card connected via a QSA with SFP+ cable to the same switch. I had issues with getting link to the Infiniband adapter with the QSA and SFP+ cable, but everything just worked after installing the RoCE drivers. I'd have to test again with the Mellanox WinOF drivers as they should work. It wasn't simply "auto-detect" as told to me by a Mellanox sales engineer.

I can test this out real easily when I'm back in the office.