EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
This seller accepted $300:

HGST 1ES0085 Storag Enclosure Rackmount - 4U60 60 x 3.5" Drive Bay w/ carriers

Anyone confirm whether or not this will accept 110v? I know we have a previous poster sharing the PSU picture but nothing in the documentation seems to indicate that 110v is supported and the pictures in the listings also don't show 110v.
Looks like the shipping went up by $75. I wrote the seller to see if they would still do the original $99 shipping. I'd pick up a couple and get rid of all my SM846 chassis because I'm silly and want one of these really damn bad for some unknown reason. So if your gonna get one, might as well buy a second and build a complete backup.

I'm concerned about the 110 power as well since some say they power up while others can't get them to power on. Makes me a little nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Looks like the shipping went up by $75. I wrote the seller to see if they would still do the original $99 shipping. I'd pick up a couple and get rid of all my SM846 chassis because I'm silly and want one of these really damn bad for some unknown reason. So if your gonna get one, might as well buy a second and build a complete backup.

I'm concerned about the 110 power as well since some say they power up while others can't get them to power on. Makes me a little nervous.

I'll know by the end of the week.

I'm replacing a Norco 4224 with a Supermicro motherboard and an Intel SAS expander. Planning to sell that and hopefully come out ahead.

My new server room in my basement is still under construction and if I need a 240v line I can still do it. Would just require me to buy a bunch more gear; UPS, PDU, etc. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I dont need this either but it would be a nice piece of equipment vs the sc846. I just cant think of needing that many 6 and 8tb disks. But i do want one hah.. i mean i even have 240v already

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I was just looking at it from the perspective of being able to not only sell all my 846 chassis but most likely my 42U rack as well. I like my chassis but I could reclaim a lot of floor space and clean up my computer room considerably with something like this.

The only advantage I have now with my 846 chassis is availability of spare parts such as a backplane going out. Readily available on eBay. Not so sure about how we would go about replacing these when they fail.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I was just looking at it from the perspective of being able to not only sell all my 846 chassis but most likely my 42U rack as well. I like my chassis but I could reclaim a lot of floor space and clean up my computer room considerably with something like this.

The only advantage I have now with my 846 chassis is availability of spare parts such as a backplane going out. Readily available on eBay. Not so sure about how we would go about replacing these when they fail.
Makes sense. I wonder how much I could get for a SC846 with sata 2 backplane and an extra 702p quiet power supply in addition the two 1kw ones. Seems like i could get within spitting distance

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
That was my thought. The seller on eBay with zero feedback which were thinking is the same person with two accounts wrote me back and said the ones he's selling will not run on 110. That kinda blows, I'm not running a 220 line just for storage servers :(

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
That was my thought. The seller on eBay with zero feedback which were thinking is the same person with two accounts wrote me back and said the ones he's selling will not run on 110. That kinda blows, I'm not running a 220 line just for storage servers :(
How close is your fuse panel? Mine was about 30 feet. It literally took me two hours and about $50 in materials to run a 240v 12-3 line into an outlet from a dipole. Most of that was spent running the electric cable. Now finding a 240v ups would also be a concern though. Could get expensive

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Mine might be 50ft and everything is ran through the attic so easily accessible but your right, then PDU's, UPS.. just to add a big ass storage chassis. Not sure if it's worth it to me. Cause some day we will see deals on 90 bay supermicros and be like holy hell we need that!! Haha

Reactions: pgh5278

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Im torn as well since i already have the 208v ups so it is plug n play for me. I just dont "need" it at the moment. Maybe ill lowball offer and see what happens. If i didnt just lose money in vegas on vacation I'd do it. Darn craps

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
I'm the one actually selling these jbods in the US, if anyone bought any with the idea of using them on 110v I wanted to apologize. "I was told 110v would work", I only found out today after I tried it myself... 110v does not work. You'll probably want to contact me and get that sorted out, if you need to.

I also found a couple smoking deals for the same empty enclosures on a few webstores... 8,999.99 to 13,999.99. But we/I will take $300 and $99 per until we run out. Maybe I can answer a few questions here (please double check me, I've a bit to learn yet)

Jeff

Reactions: pgh5278 and tjk

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I'm the one actually selling these jbods in the US, if anyone bought any with the idea of using them on 110v I wanted to apologize. "I was told 110v would work", I only found out today after I tried it myself... 110v does not work. You'll probably want to contact me and get that sorted out, if you need to.

I also found a couple smoking deals for the same empty enclosures on a few webstores... 8,999.99 to 13,999.99. But we/I will take $300 and $99 per until we run out. Maybe I can answer a few questions here (please double check me, I've a bit to learn yet)

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

Hmm... So if I keep this thing I'll need a 208v UPS for it. Are there any of those that are reasonably priced?

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I picked up a eaton 5px3000i for $250 shipped off ebay. Some of the 208v-240v ups's go cheap due to low demand. Got a 10000va apc for free off craigslist but needs $300 in batteries. Go check out craigslist in your area first

Reactions: Jeff Kaminsky

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I picked up a eaton 5px3000i for $250 shipped off ebay. Some of the 208v-240v ups's go cheap due to low demand. Got a 10000va apc for free off craigslist but needs $300 in batteries. Go check out craigslist in your area first
May try to pick this up if the seller will drop the price a bit for a local pick-up. Should I be concerned a put the amp rating on the output though? I know very little about 240v but from what i understand the amp requirements are lower than on 120v. Will this be enough amps though? Likely only this JBOD to start but would be nice to allow my 2U Supermicro server as well.

Dell 3U Rack Tower Back Up Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS 2700W 2700VA J727N

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Double the voltage, halve the amperage required so 10amps of 240 is like 20 amps of 120. My outlet is 20 amps. If you read the manual for the ups it will tell you normally what to wire it for. Also 240v is 2% more efficient so you get a smidge less power usage off the bat

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I'm the one actually selling these jbods in the US, if anyone bought any with the idea of using them on 110v I wanted to apologize. "I was told 110v would work", I only found out today after I tried it myself... 110v does not work. You'll probably want to contact me and get that sorted out, if you need to.)

Jeff
Have 240 at every socket in the house...Been thinking how to get it across the pacific..
Jeff is it 90lbs or 140 lbs or ?? when boxed for shipping??

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Have 240 at every socket in the house...Been thinking how to get it across the pacific..
Jeff is it 90lbs or 140 lbs or ?? when boxed for shipping??
I assumed it was 90lbs, when I first put up the ad. When its all boxed up it weighs 140. That's original packaging, plus a cardboard pallet for additional protection.

140lbs

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
@Jeff Kaminsky

Can you please point out which QSFP -> SFF-8644 cables you've tested with this enclosure?

I already ordered some but my experience with SAS cables has been that they're not all the same...

Thanks for your help.