Intel 2600CP SDR File Hacking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jude

Jul 23, 2016
BTW- if you are at 784RPM, I would NOT try to go much lower- that should be fairly quiet-- I'd consider a fan swap/rewire (to a lower speed version of the same fan-- usually last 1-2 characters in the fan model number) before I'd go lower than about 800 RPM!
The fans will be good they are Noctua NF-F12 and NF-P14S they have a low end minimum of 300 and 450RPM respectively.

Seems like I will need to hack the SDR file to get the fans to spin any slower.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
The fans will be good they are Noctua NF-F12 and NF-P14S they have a low end minimum of 300 and 450RPM respectively.

Seems like I will need to hack the SDR file to get the fans to spin any slower.
Did you get anywhere with this. So far I've changed the proc1_fan and proc2_fan really low but just makes them spin fast. I guess I can fool around with the offset but that defeats the purpose somewhat as I assume it drives up all the other fan speeds which I don't want!

thms

Aug 23, 2016
I have modified the SDR file for my custom build.

Here's my build post: Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340

Here's some background information: The SDR file is quite complicated in a sense that there are a handful of sections you need to edit to be able to achieve controlling the FAN speed based on a different thermal sensor and curve profile. If you use the custom xxxx_RAMP profile, then all fans rely on the single thermal sensor called BB_EDGE to vary their PWM values. This sensor reacts quite slowly so in my case, having noctua fans running at 600RPM and sloooowly ramping up is not enough. I needed the CPU fans to react quickly when the CPU is loaded. After some modification, I have linked the P2_VR sensor to both CPU fans, it approximately matches the CPU temperature and reacts pretty quickly.

I have uploaded my modified SDR file for you to compare. It sets FAN speed based on my all noctua configuration.

CASE FAN 1: NF-P14S Redux PWM-1200 RPM
CASE FAN 3: NF-P14S Redux PWM-1200 RPM
CPU FAN1: NF-F12 PWM-1500 RPM
CPU FAN2: NF-F12 PWM-1500 RPM
REAR FAN: NF-P12 PWM-1300 RPM
I'm trying to figure out how the file works. I'm trying to add more entries into the 5B Stepwise Curve.

Is the domain max and count the number of pwm/temps below it in hex? So if i add another temp/pwm combo do I just add 1 in hex to the domain max line?

What about the _REC_LEN for the section? I imagine this has to change, but I'm not entirely sure what it represents. Same issue with Record Length under Sensor record header.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jude

Jul 23, 2016
Did you get anywhere with this. So far I've changed the proc1_fan and proc2_fan really low but just makes them spin fast. I guess I can fool around with the offset but that defeats the purpose somewhat as I assume it drives up all the other fan speeds which I don't want!
I was using an older version of the firmware but I wasn't happy with how quickly the fans were spinning when the system was idling (800RPM). I was also getting some PCIe errors in the event log in the BMC web console.

I updated to the most recent Bios and the errors went away and the fans now idle much lower. I haven't hacked the SDR file or adjusted the PWM signal (its at zero). Fans now idle at 490 RPM (Proc 1 & 2) and 588 RPM (System fans 1, 2, 5, 6 and rear). BB P2 VR Temp sensor 40C (ambient 24.5 C)

Sometimes when booting from cold the fans seem to trip a low speed sensor and this causes the fans to spin up to 100%. Rebooting the machine results in no low speed errors and the machine boots and the fans spin at the correct speed.

thms

Aug 23, 2016
Alright. I finally figured it out. You do have to update rec_len and record length. It is in bytes. One hex entry = 1 byte.

Some random notes:

Fan - Domain Mapping for Other chasis (lines 10854 - 10870)

Code:
30 = System Fan 1  - Domain 0
31 = System Fan 2  - Domain 1
32 = System Fan 3  - Domain 2
33 = System Fan 4  - Domain 3
34 = System Fan 5  - Domain 4
35 = System Fan 6  - Domain 5
38 = Rear Fan      - Domain 2
36 = System Fan Proc 1 - Domain 6
37 = System Fan Proc 2 - Domain 7
The curves for the slow ramp are lines 10568 throguh 10617. The temperature sensor for the other chasis is on line 1007.
The entry that binds slow ramp to temperature and curves are lines 13471 through 13589.

There are 3 entries you can use. I used each one to target different domains. Just update the domain mask. I remapped my rear fan to 5 from domain 2.

Code:
    C0             // Domain Mask Domain 6 and 7 (CPU)
    07             // Domain Mask (Domain 0, 1, 2) (System Fans 1-3)
    56             // Domain Mask (Domain 3,4,5) - For rear and everything else
Hopefully this helps someone else. Took me too long to figure out. I may also mistaken. =/.

I can expand sections if there is interest for it.

Last edited:

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I was using an older version of the firmware but I wasn't happy with how quickly the fans were spinning when the system was idling (800RPM). I was also getting some PCIe errors in the event log in the BMC web console
Thanks Jude. Just in case you don't know, going past a certain BIOS version 1.06.0001 or something like that removes PCI-E v3 speed for PCI_E cards that are uncertified which is why I've been avoiding that. There is a choice to be made I suppose unless I can crack these PMW settings!

Jude

Jul 23, 2016
Thanks Jude. Just in case you don't know, going past a certain BIOS version 1.06.0001 or something like that removes PCI-E v3 speed for PCI_E cards that are uncertified which is why I've been avoiding that. There is a choice to be made I suppose unless I can crack these PMW settings!
Yeah I was aware of the white listing of PCIe 3.0 for the later bios versions.

I wanted to ensure that the motherboard was working correctly and figured as long as I can downgrade the bios at a later date then it was worth trying (There is a thread that details the process to downgrade to older bios versions that still support wide access to PCIe 3.0 NVMe on Intel S2600CP ).

Its unlikely that I will use any NVME devices that could actually get great benefit from using 3.0

I have a GTX 1070 on the way that I will try to force over to 3.0. There are some registry hacks that have worked in the past to enable PCIe 3.0 on Nvidia cards in this situation.
ttp://forums.evga.com/How-to-enable-PCIE-30-in-Windows-8-and-81-Regular-and-Pro-m2063059.aspx

Ill report back if I can get it to work without downgrading.

Last edited:

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I have a GTX 1070 on the way that I will try to force over to 3.0. There are some registry hacks that have worked in the past to enable PCIe 3.0 on Nvidia cards in this situation.
ttp://forums.evga.com/How-to-enable-PCIE-30-in-Windows-8-and-81-Regular-and-Pro-m2063059.aspx

Ill report back if I can get it to work without downgrading.
That is interesting - thanks. Although I'm using these for ESXi servers so I don't suppose I'll be able to do this at the moment!

Yeah I did the downgrade myself with a bit of help from super J Hart.

Jude

Jul 23, 2016
Alright. I finally figured it out. You do have to update rec_len and record length. It is in bytes. One hex entry = 1 byte.

Some random notes:

Fan - Domain Mapping for Other chasis (lines 10854 - 10870)

Code:
30 = System Fan 1  - Domain 0
31 = System Fan 2  - Domain 1
32 = System Fan 3  - Domain 2
33 = System Fan 4  - Domain 3
34 = System Fan 5  - Domain 4
35 = System Fan 6  - Domain 5
38 = Rear Fan      - Domain 2
36 = System Fan Proc 1 - Domain 6
37 = System Fan Proc 2 - Domain 7
The curves for the slow ramp are lines 10568 throguh 10617. The temperature sensor for the other chasis is on line 1007.
The entry that binds slow ramp to temperature and curves are lines 13471 through 13589.

There are 3 entries you can use. I used each one to target different domains. Just update the domain mask. I remapped my rear fan to 5 from domain 2.

Code:
    C0             // Domain Mask Domain 6 and 7 (CPU)
    07             // Domain Mask (Domain 0, 1, 2) (System Fans 1-3)
    56             // Domain Mask (Domain 3,4,5) - For rear and everything else
Hopefully this helps someone else. Took me too long to figure out. I may also mistaken. =/.

I can expand sections if there is interest for it.
I think it would be incredibly helpful if you could further expand upon the steps that you carried out and the results that you achieved.

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
Hey, new to the forum here. Just bought P4308XXMFGN along with s2600cp2j. I was thinking instead of sourcing the passive coolers and shrouds i would be better off getting active coolers, from looking around it seems like the SNK-P0050AP4 would be a safe bet and fit the case. No matter what active coolers i use i would have to tweak the SDR file for them to not be 100% all the time, since if i put the case info in directly which was designed to be use passive coolers, it wouldnt detect them right, is that correct?

dafunk60

Oct 1, 2016
Hey, new to the forum here. Just bought P4308XXMFGN along with s2600cp2j. I was thinking instead of sourcing the passive coolers and shrouds i would be better off getting active coolers, from looking around it seems like the SNK-P0050AP4 would be a safe bet and fit the case. No matter what active coolers i use i would have to tweak the SDR file for them to not be 100% all the time, since if i put the case info in directly which was designed to be use passive coolers, it wouldnt detect them right, is that correct?
I'm in a similar situation. I went with the Intel BXSTS200C heat-sinks & fans with the same case & the FRUSDR update does not find them. If I come up with a solution I'll post back.

risty

Oct 6, 2016
I have Intel S2600cp2J with 1U chassis with five 40mm AVC fans plugged to Fan2-Fan6 connectors.
For quiet and low speed change profile i use Fast Ramp and standart SDR file with only one change in line 10007 to look "BB P2 VR Temp" instead "BB EDGE Temp"
For little more noisy and fast speed change i use SDR file with "P2 Therm Margin" lookup and different fan speed curves.

Both files attached.
*it's may be need to rename .zip to .rar to unpack.

Attachments

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
I have an Intel S2600CP2J that I am looking to put in a 4U chassis. I am looking to have 4 fans on the Noctua coolers I am using, and two large 120MM fans in the chassis behind the hard drives. Is there a minimum number of fans required to not trip faults on this board?

risty

Oct 6, 2016
I have an Intel S2600CP2J that I am looking to put in a 4U chassis. I am looking to have 4 fans on the Noctua coolers I am using, and two large 120MM fans in the chassis behind the hard drives. Is there a minimum number of fans required to not trip faults on this board?
2 cpu fans

Reactions: 5mall5nail5

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
Hi guys so I am having some trouble. I have an S2600CP2J with dual E5-2670's, and installed a pair of Noctua NH-U9DX i4 which have 2 Noctua 92mm fans each. I ran the latest firmware/BIOS update from Intel and did the FRUSDR update as well. However, the fans seem to barely run. I went into the RMM and see 680 - 784 RPM which leaves the one CPU heatsink quite warm to the touch. What can I do? I have the fans cabled to CPU1 and CPU2 fan connectors. I am debating on ditching the motherboard control all together and running adapters to full 12v but I'd like to make this work.

Reactions: Jonatan

Jonatan

Oct 15, 2016
Hi guys so I am having some trouble. I have an S2600CP2J with dual E5-2670's, and installed a pair of Noctua NH-U9DX i4 which have 2 Noctua 92mm fans each. I ran the latest firmware/BIOS update from Intel and did the FRUSDR update as well. However, the fans seem to barely run. I went into the RMM and see 680 - 784 RPM which leaves the one CPU heatsink quite warm to the touch. What can I do? I have the fans cabled to CPU1 and CPU2 fan connectors. I am debating on ditching the motherboard control all together and running adapters to full 12v but I'd like to make this work.
I have the same issue, a crappy big shiruken fan in 2U Supermicro Chassi not gonna cut it :). I think I need to change what sensor the CPU-fan reacts to as the
are almost at "BB EDGE Temp Normal OK 22 degrees C" all the times ... My apartment is pretty cool ;P