EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
If I had seen this earlier I would have gotten one to replace my MDS600.

ZeroGravitas23

Aug 10, 2016
The seller that nephri listed above has dropped their price to $399 for anybody that is interested. Looks like there are quite a lot of them as well since more than 10 are available. According to the ebay page they removed the hard drives from these enclosures just like the EU seller.

Could be a very good buy if interested.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
$429 - HGST 1ES0034 Drive Enclosure - 4U Rack-mountable - 60 3.5" Drive Bay w/ Carriers - got this seller to add local pickup.
$ 399 - HGST 1ES0085 Storag Enclosure Rackmount - 4U60 60 x 3.5" Drive Bay w/ carriers

TBH I want one of these fairly badly but am in 40" racks right now so they will not fit.

Does anyone have dimensions with rails? Is it really 38.75 inches? That will hit a zero U PDU in a 40" rack. @Mirabis any idea about depth with just rails and without the cable management?

Perhaps I should make that with a non-EU flag.

Last edited:
Reactions: raileon

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
$429 - HGST 1ES0034 Drive Enclosure - 4U Rack-mountable - 60 3.5" Drive Bay w/ Carriers - got this seller to add local pickup.
$ 399 - HGST 1ES0085 Storag Enclosure Rackmount - 4U60 60 x 3.5" Drive Bay w/ carriers

TBH I want one of these fairly badly but am in 40" racks right now so they will not fit.

Does anyone have dimensions with rails? Is it really 38.75 inches? That will hit a zero U PDU in a 40" rack. @Mirabis any idea about depth with just rails and without the cable management?

I bought one off the $399 listing for a $300 OBO. The depth of the chassis gets quoted at 33.5" in the installation guide: http://www.colfax-intl.com/nd/downloads/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-Installation-Guide.pdf

Going to have me a SuperMicro 45 JBOD vs. HGST 4U60 duel soon :D

Reactions: Patrick

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
They sent me a note back that it is around 35" with rails. Any chance you would mind measuring for me? :)
Sure thing, when it gets here I'll take measurements and put some pics up with it racked. I'm a little worried about the clearance with my 0U PDUs too...

Only thing is no shipping info yet and it's crossing over to the East Coast ground, so it's not going to be here till next week.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea their warehouse is in San Jose. Just not a lot of time this week to check it out.

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016

the docs also list the size without cable management, but at work now :( can't check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
This seller accepted $300:

HGST 1ES0085 Storag Enclosure Rackmount - 4U60 60 x 3.5" Drive Bay w/ carriers

Anyone confirm whether or not this will accept 110v? I know we have a previous poster sharing the PSU picture but nothing in the documentation seems to indicate that 110v is supported and the pictures in the listings also don't show 110v.
The docs also confirm it requires 200-240v.

http://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-DS.pdf

mrseth1

Apr 19, 2016
Anyone else think this is a scam? Both listings look identical and one seller has 0 feedback.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Anyone else think this is a scam? Both listings look identical and one seller has 0 feedback.
A scam in what way?

If it is a scam I have 140 lbs worth of bricks coming early next week according to the tracking number :)

Reactions: pgh5278

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Reached out to the seller and he said they're confused by the documentation as well. The systems come with 110v cables and they powered them up / performed basic testing with no problems.
That's interesting. The one time I accidentally tried to power up a psu that only took 200+ with 120 I got no reaction from it.

mrseth1

Apr 19, 2016
Nice. Thanks for the confirmation. Although the listing has the weight at 93lbs, lol.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Nice. Thanks for the confirmation. Although the listing has the weight at 93lbs, lol.
No problem. No idea why there is such a big difference in weight but FedEx has it at 140.4.

Also the shipper is iXsystems. Definitely the type of company that would buy these just for the hard drives.

Reactions: darkconz

czl

May 14, 2016
I asked the seller "Can you confirm these will run from NORMAL California AC outlets like most people have in their homes." their reply was "You are in luck. Each server has two power supplies, which are auto ranging. And supplied are 2 110v power cords. If you had 240v you could use that if you have the adapters. Yes you can plug them into a normal 110v outlet." HOWEVER today I get no response at all the unit I am testing using my home California 110v power. :-( Anyone have theirs working on v110? I have one HD inside but no compatible adapter card. Is an adapter card required for it to power up? My test unit appears dead -- no power draw at all from the wall.

ps. Something else that worries me manual section that says: "The SEP examines the Inquiry data of all attached drives to determine if they are a supported type. If an unsupported device is attached to the 4U60 Storage Enclosure, it will not be available to access." and in the list are only UltraStar drives! -> Can someone confirm theirs is working with HDD from other brands?

"Reached out to the seller and he said they're confused by the documentation as well. The systems come with 110v cables and they powered them up / performed basic testing with no problems."

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Can someone confirm theirs is working with HDD from other brands?
That was my worry - see the start of the thread.
I bought a couple from the UK seller. I've only really started using one. So far my Western Digital Red 3TB and 4Tb drives work fine. So do Toshiba 3Tb and 4TB drives. However, I have tried a Seagate 2TB SATA drive and that isn't appearing in Windows so far. I've not had time to try another one but the drive works fine using a normal SATA drive interface. I'm using a HP H240 - I suppose it could be that?
Btw my Areca raid card didn't detect any drives (it did see the enclosure) but I haven't updated the firmware for a while so that could be it.

Bottom line - you may need to take your chances but since it is a pretty future proof purchase worst case position it for future disk hosting?

Last edited: