Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
My board just has the passive heatsink used in the 1u configuration.. I'm moving the board into the SuperMicro ITX NAS Chassis and need active cooling.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
In a 1U with an active cooler and 1-2x 40mm case fans that should be enough to cool the processor well into the safe zone. (Or so I would imagine)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well I now have my three coolers two Cooljag's (BUF-A and BUF-E) and one Dynatron (i2)

A bit scary looking since it appears as though they use a different screw length and diameter than the stock Supermicro fan. That also means that one will need to be extremely careful doing this mod using screws. Now, using thermal tape may be a strong option at this point.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Well I now have my three coolers two Cooljag's (BUF-A and BUF-E) and one Dynatron (i2)

A bit scary looking since it appears as though they use a different screw length and diameter than the stock Supermicro fan. That also means that one will need to be extremely careful doing this mod using screws. Now, using thermal tape may be a strong option at this point.
Patrick, they should have come with the plate which fits exactly where the SM was. Some details of what was required to swap is in my posts above, first time takes a bit to work thru after that is about 5 minutes to do the swap..Have fun..

Ozymand

Oct 17, 2014
I don't have access to a Supermicro Xeon-D nor a 3D printer, but I wanted to suggest this as this might be a possible relevant solution. But first, a few questions about the BUF-E.

Are the screws captive in the heatsink?
If so, can the retainer used to keep the screws be removed such thus the screws can be removed?
This is for pgh5278, about how thick were the washers you used?

What I am getting at is this. If you look at the configuration used on the Cooljag BUF-A3, it uses the fan frame as a "spacer" and the spring is compressed between the fan frame and the heatsink. Why not design and 3D print a shroud that would go between the spring and the head of the screw with the ears for the shroud being the thickness of the required washer? The shroud could look very much like the the used on the unavailable BUF-D/S-A that everybody seems to want.

Does this make sense?

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
In a 1U with an active cooler and 1-2x 40mm case fans that should be enough to cool the processor well into the safe zone. (Or so I would imagine)
Did you end up with a 1u copper version for a 1667?

BBUF-B2 was mentioned but no one confirmed fitting 1667 (X10SDV).

I am really wanting something that will prevent me from taking a dremmel tool to my 1u cases.
I may just end up taping 2 noctuas in the 1u case and hope it does the job.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Did you end up with a 1u copper version for a 1667?

BBUF-B2 was mentioned but no one confirmed fitting 1667 (X10SDV).

I am really wanting something that will prevent me from taking a dremmel tool to my 1u cases.
I may just end up taping 2 noctuas in the 1u case and hope it does the job.
netwerkz101, check the cooljag usa website, you will see these are coming from cpus which use the same mounting hole dims sd xeon D..

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I don't have access to a Supermicro Xeon-D nor a 3D printer, but I wanted to suggest this as this might be a possible relevant solution. But first, a few questions about the BUF-E.

Are the screws captive in the heatsink?
If so, can the retainer used to keep the screws be removed such thus the screws can be removed?
This is for pgh5278, about how thick were the washers you used?

What I am getting at is this. If you look at the configuration used on the Cooljag BUF-A3, it uses the fan frame as a "spacer" and the spring is compressed between the fan frame and the heatsink. Why not design and 3D print a shroud that would go between the spring and the head of the screw with the ears for the shroud being the thickness of the required washer? The shroud could look very much like the the used on the unavailable BUF-D/S-A that everybody seems to want.

Does this make sense?
the washer as was described a fiber washer like used on mother baord mounts etc. only a mm or so, but enough to stop the thread bottoming out in the socket of the mount..

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
I installed my BUF-A cooler.. be careful prying back plate, one of the corners has traces underneath.

I didn't use any washers but it seems ok without them. CPU seems cool.

Regards,
Rich

IMG_6597.JPGIMG_6596.JPGIMG_6598.JPG

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Got the idea from Near silent powerhouse: Making a quieter MicroLab platform
A good way to re-use CAT5 cable.
With Noctua NF-A6x25, CPU temp @ 49C at idle, @ 80C at 100% running P95. Fan is at Standard mode.
Fan is very quite even at 3000RPM.View attachment 3515
I laughed when I saw the pic .... it looks like something I would do. Ghetto fabulous!
In my previous Avoton C2758 1u system I just let the fan sit on top - no tie down.
The fan stayed in place using those Noctua rubber piece and simply closing the case lid.
I had about 3-5mm clearance and actually did the job well.

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
Thanks for the update.
So it cools like it is supposed to ...but with a 5500RPM fan ...what does it sound like?
Is that really a 5500RPM fan!? It doesn't sound like much.. Inside the 4 Bay Mini-ITX NAS chassis you really cant hear it at all..

Its a 3 wire fan.. so no PWM speed control.. (No Biggie) Nothing official on performance yet but the fan and solid copper heatsink seem to dissipate heat very efficiently, it was still cool to the touch after messing around in the BIOS for a while.

Reactions: MiniKnight

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
@RchGrav thanks for the photos! I'm considering the swap myself and that helped me.

Are temps better? Noise better?
Considering I was coming from something that didnt have a fan on it (pulled from 1U Server) I would say they are WAY better...

Nothing conducts heat quite as well as copper.. I don't have any official temps yet but as I said it seems to be really cool by the "touch test" (I'm testing freenas 10 beta, not sure how to access the temp probes in Freenas 10 yet)

I have no way of comparing noise.. its not really loud with this cooler.. FWIW I personally wouldn't have a problem using it for media center purposes I doubt you could hear it.

Reactions: Patrick

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
<snipped for brevity>
I don't have any official temps yet but as I said it seems to be really cool by the "touch test" (I'm testing freenas 10 beta, not sure how to access the temp probes in Freenas 10 yet)
</snipped>
You can read CPU temps and fan speed via IPMI.

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
You can read CPU temps and fan speed via IPMI.
Oh yeah... I knew that.. TBH I was just distracted with getting FreeNAS 10 installed and testing all the new features....

For now I did this..

sysctl -a | grep temperature

I'm seeing from 40 deg Celsius to 48 deg. under medium load. (Not prime 95 or anything super heavy.. just general load.. FreeNAS w/ 2 Bhyve VM's (1 BSD & a 2012 R2 Running Atto and Crystal at the time)