Sun Oracle Flash Accelerator F40 400GB PCIe SSD - $99 + 15 BIN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Good to hear.
I bought one but I have not had time to plug it in.
Now I am worried it will be a smoke test.

kenney

Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2014
Maryland
I bought 3, 2 were missing one of four drives, not visible in bios either. I emailed the seller and moved the two missing modules to a single card which I am sending back for replacement, leaving me with 2 functioning drives. Drive health (via ddcli) looks very good on these two cards now. I might buy a couple more just to see what kind of ZFS array I could build, they are cheap enough to try this.

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
After DDCLI formats restored all of the drives.. I had them drop back out a few hours later with no activity. I dont want to use unreliable SSDs for my ZFS Cache, so they are going back to the seller tomorrow.

rjoancea

Apr 28, 2015
Hm, looks like while I might have been the first on this thread with issues, I'm (unfortunately) not the only. Sorry to hear this was more widespread guys...On the bright side, seller immediately responded and refunded upon receipt, so at least pleased with that part of the transaction.

abq

May 23, 2015
Thank You for sharing this link! ...I need the ddcli software to 'find' the 4th piece of 4 SSD on my card. I followed your link (http://www.seagate.com/support/soli...rator-cards/nytro-warpdrive-accelerator-card/) and can find:

Nytro Windows 2008 R2 (2.10.68.01)
Nytro Windows 2012 (2.10.68.01)
Nytro Windows 2012 R2 (2.10.72.00)
XP6209-4B2048 Firmware Update Package (15.00.04.00)

Just no Wijndows 10 version. Do you happen to know where the Windows 10 Pro version is, or if any of above are compatible? ...Any links for latest firmware (.bin), that doesn't require Oracle support contract, would be huge bonus;) ?

Thank You :)

BTW, Crystal Disk Info shows ~25TB total writes & ~1085 days of power on hours for each of 4 SSD pieces on my card. For first piece, Crystal Disk Mark shows:
Oracle F40 Crystal Disk Mark 5 Results.PNG

Thanks for this. I got the util package from Seagate's site which included ddcli for all OSs. Ran the utility, formatted everything with the "performance" overprovision option which leaves 79.5GB usable.

http://www.seagate.com/support/soli...rator-cards/nytro-warpdrive-accelerator-card/

Last edited:

paravirtual

Aug 28, 2016
Do you happen to know where the Windows 10 Pro version is, or if any of above are compatible? ...Any links for latest firmware (.bin), that doesn't require Oracle support contract, would be huge bonus;) ?
That link contains everything useful I've found. Sorry.

Reactions: abq

luannanxian

Sep 26, 2016
I either completely lucked out or I'm in for a headache soon... no problems yet.

For the people asking if you can flash the seagate firmware, the answer is yes. I hacked it into a card using IDA. The flash worked well and the card automatically did a raid 0 array and hasn't exhibited any problems except one.

It now only connects at pcie x1 width so my speeds are about the same as before which is just comical =)
l would like to know how to do it with IDA, it is a terrible problem to see so many disks on my screen.

Reactions: jbonor

luannanxian

Sep 26, 2016
Anyone have the Sun fw for the F40 card ?

Had a look at work today but I was not able to download the fw, will try again on Monday with another account.

Btw, fw 2.0 came out 7 days ago.
does there have f80's fw?if there is, please share it

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Another purchaser with issues with the cards here. Bought two and one module is faulty; didn't return anything as postage is ridiculously expensive to US from Europe; got the seller to reimburse a part of the price instead. Does anyone have spare modules they're willing to sell/donate/swap/whatever?

Reactions: Twist and Marsh

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
This is fw 2.0 for both F40 and F80 card, make sure you backup your previous fw /nvdata and have possibility to restore them if something goes wrong.

I'll take no responsibility for this fw, make sure you know what you are doing.

We need to thank mmk for providing this for members of this forum.

Dropbox - link

Report back with fw improvements.

luannanxian

Sep 26, 2016
This is fw 2.0 for both F40 and F80 card, make sure you backup your previous fw /nvdata and have possibility to restore them if something goes wrong.

Dropbox - link

I had flash it into my cards, but they are still working at a single disk mode.

poto

May 18, 2013

Dropbox - link

Thanks for the F80 fw update. Looks like some tweaks to background cleanup, per notes:

Firmware Package 13.05.11.01

§ Package includes all firmware components for F80 (Firmware is not compatible with F40)

§ Key fixes include fix for reset due to fault_state(0x0d04), and performance improvement due to background recycler

chiuljnk

Apr 20, 2016
If this is installed in an HP Proliant DL380-G7, would it make the fans spin up to 100% and be very loud? People say that installing something that is not an HP-approved card will cause the fans to do this.

Arthur Krewat

Apr 29, 2016
Bought one of these cards, just installed it in a test machine I have - a Z77 based Intel motherboard. DZ77GA

This motherboard only comes with 2 x16 slots, and one x4 slot that can take longer cards.

Install the F40 in any other slot than the first x16, and it won't initialize itself, and is not seen by the operating system. Install it WITH an Adaptec RAID card, and the system locks up after the RAID card fully boots itself.

Anyone else have PCI-E related issues with the F40?

This motherboard gave me other problems too, like when ASPM (PCI-E power management) is enabled, the Adaptec locks up randomly) - so it might just be this motherboard. But without taking down either my main Solaris server or my two VMware hosts (all three are Dell R710's), I can't really test this in any other machine except a Windows workstation and who wants that anyway? :)

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
Bought one of these cards, just installed it in a test machine I have - a Z77 based Intel motherboard. DZ77GA

This motherboard only comes with 2 x16 slots, and one x4 slot that can take longer cards.

Install the F40 in any other slot than the first x16, and it won't initialize itself, and is not seen by the operating system. Install it WITH an Adaptec RAID card, and the system locks up after the RAID card fully boots itself.

Anyone else have PCI-E related issues with the F40?

This motherboard gave me other problems too, like when ASPM (PCI-E power management) is enabled, the Adaptec locks up randomly) - so it might just be this motherboard. But without taking down either my main Solaris server or my two VMware hosts (all three are Dell R710's), I can't really test this in any other machine except a Windows workstation and who wants that anyway? :)
Not sure if this is still an issue with newer UEFI boards, but older consumer motherboards would have limited ROM space preventing the loading of extra option roms from add-on cards. For example 2 disk/raid controllers.

Check motherboard's BIOS/manual make sure the x4 slot is enabled when both 16x slots occupied. Also try disabling unused features and any additional sata controllers.

Reactions: Arthur Krewat

Arthur Krewat

Apr 29, 2016
Thanks Danic, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try it out in one of my R710's.

FYI, in Solaris X86, a single F40 SSD gave me around 500MB/sec writes using IOZONE and a 128K block size (default zfs recordsize). Striping all four got me up to around 1.5GB/sec.

Has anyone noticed that these SSD modules seem to be mSATA modules?