ZeusRAM 8GB SAS 6Gb/s DRAM SSD Z4RZF3D-8UC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
Ebay Link.
Product Link.

$479 OBO. Two available.

If you don't know what these are, you don't need them. If you do know what they are, perhaps you could tell me if the 23 microseconds of QD1 write latency of this drive has been beaten by any of the new NVMe drives?

Reactions: Patrick and T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ebay Link.
Product Link.

$479 OBO. Two available.

If you don't know what these are, you don't need them. If you do know what they are, perhaps you could tell me if the 23 microseconds of QD1 write latency of this drive has been beaten by any of the new NVMe drives?
I think TECHNICALLY the p3700 will do 20, but since OmniOS isn't liking pass-through of NVME in ESXI I haven't been able to test P3700 vs ZeusRAM as I don't have a baremetal OmniOS implementation.

I don't think you're going to get the IOPs a ZeusRAM can achieve at low QD with any NVME at the moment though, so it should technically be faster, especially with near identical latency.

Remember, depending on your network speed you should increase your transaction size and thus need more than 1 zeusram to accomplish peak performance.

Andrew S

Jun 9, 2016
I would have wanted this badly a few years ago, but now, I believe any decent enterprise NVMe SSD with internal battery-backed write cache can do better, and 8gb while enough for ZFS is not enough for Ceph. Just my 2 cents but I feel these should be alot cheaper used.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Not sure on this forum you can tell anyone what they don't need!
Can't speak for everyone but I agree with ecosse, I have no idea what I'd use a 8GB super fast SSD for and therefor don't need it. :confused:

abq

May 23, 2015
I apologize for my ignorance, and not sure if proper to ask here - mods please feel free to move this post. ...Is it general better to purchase 8 GB more ram than any speed Ssd? Assuming redundant power supplies and ups for server is comparable with zeus power failure backup? Thx Much :)

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I apologize for my ignorance, and not sure if proper to ask here - mods please feel free to move this post. ...Is it general better to purchase 8 GB more ram than any speed Ssd? Assuming redundant power supplies and ups for server is comparable with zeus power failure backup? Thx Much :)
By example for a ZFS appliance:
- An SLOG could improve performance and can be a better option than expanding ram (if you do often synchronous writes). For SLOG devices, you don't need big SSD. you can go with smallest one (8Gb is enougth for many cases)
- But you should consider an L2ARC only when you have maxed your RAM. If you can increase your RAM, it will be always a better option than set an L2ARC device. After you populate all your RAM, L2ARC may be an option if your ram was not enougth.

ZeusRAM is a very good option for an SLOG device.
I prefered (for cost effective) to buy 2x Intel S3700 100Gb for that purpose (in mirror).