ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I'm in the middle of building a new home workstation and thought I'd throw in my experience. I bought 2x E5-2683 V3 QFQK ES from a seller on ebay for $250 each from this guy: Intel Confidential QFQK ES 2.00 GHz E5-2683 V3 CPU Processor
I had been lurking for months trying to make decisions on what to buy but I saw these and they looked good as they were a later stepping vs the more common QEY7 thats on ebay. So these ones from that seller are showing up as QFQK/QGN5 (QS) with CPU stepping C0/C1 on HWiNFO64. CPUZ shows stepping 2 revision R2. I'm running them on a Supermicro X10DRi board with 128GB Samsung DDR4 2133 (M393A2G40DB0-CPB). They are also not capped at a lower turbo bin. I get the full 2.5Ghz all turbo and 3.0ghz single core turbo. Cinebench R15 also showing about ~3253 score which I think is pretty good. The CPUs seem great so far. Not bad for $500 total for both the cpus as they seem the same as OEM specs.

for some reason, these forums won't let me upload pics. (i guess i'm too new?). anywho, i created a shareable folder with some photos of HWiNFO64, CPUz, CINEBENCH R15, and some more hw info. -> e2683v3 – Disk Google

Reactions: RolloZ170

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I'm running them on a Supermicro X10DRi board with 128GB Samsung DDR4 2133 (M393A2G40DB0-CPB).
Going offtopic here, but please can you let me know what CPU cooler do you use with X10DRi. The officially supported cooler is Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4, however i like the Noctua NH-U9DX-i4. I dont know if it would block the RAM slot.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
Going offtopic here, but please can you let me know what CPU cooler do you use with X10DRi. The officially supported cooler is Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4, however i like the Noctua NH-U9DX-i4. I dont know if it would block the RAM slot.
I'm using NH-U12DXi4 which I got off of amazon https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-LGA2011-Platforms-NH-U12DXi4/dp/B00DWFQ42I . these are much bigger than I had thought. I'm using them inside a SUPERMICRO 4U 846E16-R1200B chassis and the tips of these guys actually touch the top of the case when it's closed.
i uploaded a few more photos e2683v3 – Disk Google

it's not blocking the RAM slots for me, but I am only using 8 total sticks in all the blue slots. the black slots are closer to the heat sink pipes and yeah if your ram is larger and/or has any heat dissipator on it them it might touch.

Reactions: trumee

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
I need help. I bought a pair of E5-2698 v4 ES Broadwell-EP's from icomputer_parts_international on ebay. Some people here & elsewhere used with no complaints (and linked/listed their compatibility chart a couple times in this thread.)

These two CPU's simply will not boot on any motherboard or UEFI combo I have tried and I can't figure out why.
All motherboards tried do work (three are recent NIB purchases). I am using a brand new retail i7-5930k. a gtx-980 and a single stick of DDR-4 to flash the bios. (Nothing else installed)

Using *every* UEFI/bios version available from the OEM's. (Yes. Seriously, every revision for three different kinds of motherboards!) over the last few days, I've tried:

MSI X99A Raider - Blank Screen (which others have had work with Broadwell-EP ES chips)
MSI X99S Gaming AC 9's - Blank Screen, Debug LED = 99 (Console Output/Input devices/Console initialization and Load Option ROM (VGA, RAID, parallel ports, serial ports……))
Asus X99A/3.1 USB (Not listed to work!) - stuck in the "known" debug LED 19 = infinite boot loop.

I've also tried different ram configurations with known working ram.

I'm simply at a loss. Here's what the seller lists as compatible.
Dell: Precision T5810 (BIOS A12 or above)
Dell: T7810 (BIOS A12 or above)
Dell: T7910 (BIOS A12 or above)

Compatible Motherboards:

Supermicro: X10S series (all models with BIOS R2.0 or above)
Supermicro: X10D series (all models with BIOS R2.0 or above)
Supermicro: C7X99-OCE (BIOS R2.0 or above)

Tyan: S562 series (BIOS V2.00 or above)
Tyan: S707 series (BIOS V2.00 or above)
Tyan: S708 series (BIOS V2.00 or above)

Asus: Z10PE-D8 WS (BIOS 3204 or above)
Asus: Z10PE-D16 WS (BIOS 3204 or above)
Asus: Z10PA-U8 (BIOS 3202 or above)
Asus: Z10PA-D8 (BIOS 3107 or above)
Asus: Z10PC-D8 (BIOS 3104 or above)
Asus: Z10PE-D16 (BIOS 3104 or above)
Asus: Z10PR-D16 (BIOS 3104 or above)

ASRock: X99 series (all models with BIOS 3.00 or above or above)
ASRock: EPC612 series (all models with BIOS 2.10 or above)
ASRock: FH-C612NM (BIOS 1.10 or above)

MSI: X99 Godlike Gaming Carbon (BIOS 2.4 or above)
MSI: X99 Godlike Gaming (BIOS 1.6 or above)
MSI: X99A XPower Gaming Titanium
MSI: X99A Gaming Pro Carbon (BIOS 1.1 or above)
MSI: X99A Gaming 9 ACK (BIOS 3.4 or above)
MSI: X99S Gaming 9 ACK (BIOS 2.8 or above)
MSI: X99S Gaming 9 AC (BIOS 1.B or above)
MSI: X99A XPower AC (BIOS A.5 or above)
MSI: X99S XPower AC (BIOS 1.B or above)
MSI: X99A/S Gaming 7 (BIOS H.E or above)
MSI: X99A/S MPower (BIOS M.A or above)
MSI: X99A/S SLI Krait Edition (BIOS N.7 or above)
MSI: X99A/S SLI Plus (BIOS 1.C or above)
MSI: X99A Raider (BIOS P.4 or above)

EVGA: X99 Family (all models with BIOS 2.01 or above)

Note: A BIOS upgrade may be necessary for motherboards manufactured prior to the introduction of Xeon E5-2600 v4 series CPUs series.
Note: A firmware upgrade of an onboard chip other than BIOS may be necessary for some Asus Z10 motherboards to enable dual-processor support.

Here's the MSI X99A Raider on the i7-5930k with the specified P.4 UEFI installed working on an i7-5930k, but black screen on both of the E5-2698 v4's

Intel Xeon E5-2698 v4 ES LGA2011-3 20C Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K 6950X

(From the listing)

What I received:

*I find it hard to believe two chips from different batches would both be bad.
*I've shipped so many Westmere-EP Xeon's I've salvaged over the years (and other chips) that I highly doubt they were damaged in transit based on the packaging and my own experience with how they were packaged.
*Others have had no issue with the seller so??? Don't think they knowingly shipped dud chips.

I'm just lost as to what to do next. What am I missing? Thoughts?

Last edited:

flix_ujin

Jul 23, 2016
I need help. I bought a pair of E5-2698 v4 ES Broadwell-EP's from icomputer_parts_international on ebay. Some people here & elsewhere used with no complaints (and linked/listed their compatibility chart a couple times in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I know many X99 motherboard is notorious for incompatibility with ES chips even you upgraded your BIOS. I'm using ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS and it's working

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I need help. I bought a pair of E5-2698 v4 ES Broadwell-EP's from icomputer_parts_international on ebay. Some people here & elsewhere used with no complaints (and linked/listed their compatibility chart a couple times in this thread.)

These two CPU's simply will not boot on any motherboard or UEFI combo I have tried and I can't figure out why.
All motherboards tried do work (three are recent NIB purchases). I am using a brand new retail i7-5930k. a gtx-980 and a single stick of DDR-4 to flash the bios. (Nothing else installed)

Using *every* UEFI/bios version available from the OEM's. (Yes. Seriously, every revision for three different kinds of motherboards!) over the last few days, I've tried:

MSI X99A Raider - Blank Screen (which others have had work with Broadwell-EP ES chips)
MSI X99S Gaming AC 9's - Blank Screen, Debug LED = 99 (Console Output/Input devices/Console initialization and Load Option ROM (VGA, RAID, parallel ports, serial ports……))
Asus X99A/3.1 USB (Not listed to work!) - stuck in the "known" debug LED 19 = infinite boot loop.

I've also tried different ram configurations with known working ram.

I'm simply at a loss. Here's what the seller lists as compatible.
Dell: Precision T5810 (BIOS A12 or above)
Dell: T7810 (BIOS A12 or above)
Dell: T7910 (BIOS A12 or above)

Compatible Motherboards:

Supermicro: X10S series (all models with BIOS R2.0 or above)
Supermicro: X10D series (all models with BIOS R2.0 or above)
Supermicro: C7X99-OCE (BIOS R2.0 or above)

Tyan: S562 series (BIOS V2.00 or above)
Tyan: S707 series (BIOS V2.00 or above)
Tyan: S708 series (BIOS V2.00 or above)

Asus: Z10PE-D8 WS (BIOS 3204 or above)
Asus: Z10PE-D16 WS (BIOS 3204 or above)
Asus: Z10PA-U8 (BIOS 3202 or above)
Asus: Z10PA-D8 (BIOS 3107 or above)
Asus: Z10PC-D8 (BIOS 3104 or above)
Asus: Z10PE-D16 (BIOS 3104 or above)
Asus: Z10PR-D16 (BIOS 3104 or above)

ASRock: X99 series (all models with BIOS 3.00 or above or above)
ASRock: EPC612 series (all models with BIOS 2.10 or above)
ASRock: FH-C612NM (BIOS 1.10 or above)

MSI: X99 Godlike Gaming Carbon (BIOS 2.4 or above)
MSI: X99 Godlike Gaming (BIOS 1.6 or above)
MSI: X99A XPower Gaming Titanium
MSI: X99A Gaming Pro Carbon (BIOS 1.1 or above)
MSI: X99A Gaming 9 ACK (BIOS 3.4 or above)
MSI: X99S Gaming 9 ACK (BIOS 2.8 or above)
MSI: X99S Gaming 9 AC (BIOS 1.B or above)
MSI: X99A XPower AC (BIOS A.5 or above)
MSI: X99S XPower AC (BIOS 1.B or above)
MSI: X99A/S Gaming 7 (BIOS H.E or above)
MSI: X99A/S MPower (BIOS M.A or above)
MSI: X99A/S SLI Krait Edition (BIOS N.7 or above)
MSI: X99A/S SLI Plus (BIOS 1.C or above)
MSI: X99A Raider (BIOS P.4 or above)

EVGA: X99 Family (all models with BIOS 2.01 or above)

Note: A BIOS upgrade may be necessary for motherboards manufactured prior to the introduction of Xeon E5-2600 v4 series CPUs series.
Note: A firmware upgrade of an onboard chip other than BIOS may be necessary for some Asus Z10 motherboards to enable dual-processor support.

Here's the MSI X99A Raider on the i7-5930k with the specified P.4 UEFI installed working on an i7-5930k, but black screen on both of the E5-2698 v4's

Intel Xeon E5-2698 v4 ES LGA2011-3 20C Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K 6950X

(From the listing)

What I received:

*I find it hard to believe two chips from different batches would both be bad.
*I've shipped so many Westmere-EP Xeon's I've salvaged over the years (and other chips) that I highly doubt they were damaged in transit based on the packaging and my own experience with how they were packaged.
*Others have had no issue with the seller so??? Don't think they knowingly shipped dud chips.

First i see QDF QHZD but should be QHUZ(there is the compat.list from, they just copy)
Intel Xeon E5-2698 v4 ES Broadwell-EP CPU 2.0GHz 20-Core 135W Beats E5-2697 v3
if possible you have to test them on any ASRock X99 mobo, QHZD can be ES0 version not compat. with MSI

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Any good deals to be had in Broadwell chips yet? Trying to lower my power consumption a bit, but would like 10+ cores still.

cnj

Aug 18, 2016
Great thread you guys have here. I've been looking to discuss these processors with like minded folks as most threads on other forums degenerate into the legality aspect and a bunch of FUD. But I digress.

I've been looking to build a portable rig which I can take as a carry-on. The choice of motherboard therefore, is an Asrock ITX x99. Specifically, this one: ASRock > X99E-ITX/ac

RAM will be non-ECC DDR4 2133, 2 sticks of 16GB each.

Looking at a bunch of options, I've decided to go for a Xeon E5 2683 V4.

I've found this one which seems to be an engineering sample that has been "re-marked" to look like a retail one. However, it seems to be able to turbo to 3GHz. I found a few Xeons from a Japanese seller that has been linked on these pages before, and his processors seem to have very low clock speeds (including turbo), which pushed me away from his offerings.

My question is, will the one I've linked to: Intel Xeon E5-2683 V4 QHZE ES Remarked as SR2JT, be good enough for a daily driven machine? The stepping is A1, hwinfo shows QHZE as Engineering Sample 2.

Another question: say Intel finds any error in the E5 2600 V4 series. The conventional thing they do is push out a microcode update (via BIOS or OS update, I don't know) that "patches" the processor error. What happens with engineering samples? Do they get the update? Or does using an ES processor mean you're SOL?

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
My question is, will the one I've linked to: Intel Xeon E5-2683 V4 QHZE ES Remarked as SR2JT, be good enough for a daily driven machine? The stepping is A1, hwinfo shows QHZE as Engineering Sample 2.
If I recall from previous posts I think you want to avoid A and B steppings as these were very early samples and some of these are not supported at all on a lot of boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cnj

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
Do any of the ES chips work on Supermicro? Or which motherboard 'is the one to get' (ie. bestest support).
FWIW I used geekbench.com browser to look at performance results of CPU configurations, specifically what CPUs ran on what boards. A little harder to tell if the chips were ES or not but some of that info is there too. In general supermicro X10 (any of the variations) looks the best, and the asus Z10PE too. I haven't seen anyone say those 2 boards "failed" to support any of the ES. For supermicro just make sure the board variation you pick supports at least the TDP rating of the processor.

cnj

Aug 18, 2016
If I recall from previous posts I think you want to avoid A and B steppings as these were very early samples and some of these are not supported at all on a lot of boards.

OK, so I went through the 17 pages again on my computer.

My misconception was due to some posts talking about QA, QB, Qx(x<H) steppings being less than ideal (higher the second letter, the better), which I took as QHxx procs being close to retail spec. However I have now noticed after browsing on cpu-world that QHxx spec is just for the Broadwell-EP spec Xeons (apart from older vintage stuff, I guess). And they're all early-spec engineering samples, not sure how close to OE/Retail specs.

My requirement has been for 14+ cores, higher the better. The 2683 v4 fit perfectly within my budget and requirements; however all that I can find within my budget is ES spec chips. The last few pages, people have mentioned about running v4 ES chips without any issues.

The v3 Xeons look enticing; as more ES/QS data is available which makes the decision easier, but at the cost of less cores and effective performance.

I'd love to rock a dual Xeon v3 system, but unfortunately, the portability aspect goes out of the window as I'm restricted to a mini-ITX board.

I'll keep doing my research; my gut feeling tells me that a 2683 v4 will not cause any issues, so I might take the jump. Worst case, I get a replacement/refund.

A little offtopic perhaps, but has anyone looked at PCIe nvme SSDs from Samsung? PM/SM951 OEM SSDs are available for a lot less than their retail counterparts. And unlike the Xeon chips, they seem to be brand new.

Thanks for this valuable resource, Patriot and RolloZ170's posts have been a goldmine of useful information along with most of the others. I'll read and look around some more and come back to pick your brains.

Cheers.

mita

Aug 19, 2016
Seriously though, I've been buying ES chips forever and not one has ever failed or caused stability issues, and I buy early stepping versions aswel. Hell I even bought a laptop ES cpu and it runs like a champ. Have owned the 2667v3 ES , 1660v3 ES, 6700k ES, 2673v3 ES

The CPU i'm running in my system right now is the 2690v4 14 core, its fricking amazing all 14 cores turbo up to 3.0ghz its amazing for Cinema 4d and After effects cc 2014 (before they got rid of multiprocessing) 2090 in Cinebench.

Some tips on buying ES Chips

1. Ask the seller if your motherboard supports the cpu, Stay away from Asus x99 and gigabyte
2. LOOK at the max turbo for ALL cores (seriously 300mhz on all cores is a big performance gain) i'm wondering if base clock is even important anymore lmfao

3. Obviously try get a later stepping CPU even though I have had zero problems using early stepping

Reactions: chicken-of-the-cave