Super cheap Supermicro Superserver! 1U w/ 8x 2.5" bay & X8DTL

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think I got the one pictured since mine did not come with trays. Seller has been awesome about taking care of that.

Fairly dirty inside with black dust. Otherwise, really nice little servers.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was hoping to get SuperMicro MCP-290-00056-0N 19" to 26.4" outer rail, for 1U 17.2" W chassis but they cost 2x as much and I did not know if they would fit. Those are much easier to use since they require less screwing into the rack.

Built 4x Xeon D and Pentium D1508 servers from these chassis today. Overall very easy. They come with 4x midplane fans which are great as they can cool all of the Supermicro Xeon D boards and even the ASRock Rack's SAS3 controller.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
I got one for $125 with the second heatsink. I'm local to the seller so I will pick up tomorrow. Did have to pay sales tax however.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Finally got time to play with these. Here is my mini-review.

The IPMI on these needs to be reset. Currently I use ipmitool on Linux to change the admin password so I can login and reset the configuration. Is there an alternate faster way? I also highly recommend upgrading the IPMI firmware on these.

The LSI SAS controller is already flashed to IT-mode, which is great. I've not taken the time to find out if it is the latest version.

Doing number crunching on these is not highly recommended. There is no air shroud included, which makes the current air cooling not very effective. Dual X5560 running 100% for some time will go over 90 degrees Celsius and may start to throttle. There are no issues using dual L5630 though, but that is expected as they use a lot less power, but they are also 30% slower. I would not run any six-cores on these.

This chassis is very quiet, not something you want right next to you. The PSU makes a high pitch noise though, but all is fine when you place it in another room.

Idle power usage with 1 CPU and one hard drive is around 85w.

Overall, great value for ~$120 incl shipping.

Reactions: Fritz

Xamayon

Jan 7, 2016
Currently I use ipmitool on Linux to change the admin password so I can login and reset the configuration. Is there an alternate faster way?
Yes, the one I received had an old enough ipmi firmware that the plaintext password vulnerability could be used to acquire the password. Just telnet/nc/whatever to port 49152, type in "GET /PSBlock" and extract the password from the random crap. While you type the GET command there is no feedback/output, so be careful and do it right the first time. No typos, who knows what could get messed up.

The password is output immediately following the username, so basically if you see "ADMINP@$$w0rd", ADMIN will be the username, P@$$w0rd is the password. Out of respect for whoever these came from I won't post the password I recovered, it may or may not be used elsewhere.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I pulled the motherboards so no idea. The cases are working well though.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine just found a good use. My Security server had a stroke. I moved Blue Iris to it and it's now running my IP Cams. It's more suited to running 24/7 and should prove more reliable. Uses more power than the old one (AM1 based) but what the heck. :)

Reactions: Patrick

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Well I bought one yesterday and anxiously awaiting it.

I "decommissioned" my old Dell r710 that I wasn't using anymore but kept my L5639 processors and 48Gb RAM, and some SSDs. So I think this will be a perfect home for them.

Now my only debate is since I can only fit 24Gb RAM into one of these - should I buy a second and find another pair of L5639 processors to populate it with? LOL

Reactions: adamsir2

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
You can put 12G of unbuffered, 48G of registered RAM with a single processor. But, that does require the more expensive 8G sticks.

I bought one myself. I paid a little extra to get one full of drive sleds. I am not sure where it is all going but with a single L5640 and a single 4G stick of registered ram it is drawing 70 watts from the wall idle and 130 watts from the wall with 12 bash threads spinning. There were no hard drives in that test, only a USB stick to boot the Ubuntu live image.

I plan on experimenting to see where all the power is going before I yank the motherboard and replace it with something lower power. I wonder whether an x9scl plus a M5015 will be less power. I would like to cut that 70 at least in half if I am going to have it running 24x7

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
You can put 12G of unbuffered, 48G of registered RAM with a single processor. But, that does require the more expensive 8G sticks.

I bought one myself. I paid a little extra to get one full of drive sleds. I am not sure where it is all going but with a single L5640 and a single 4G stick of registered ram it is drawing 70 watts from the wall idle and 130 watts from the wall with 12 bash threads spinning. There were no hard drives in that test, only a USB stick to boot the Ubuntu live image.

I plan on experimenting to see where all the power is going before I yank the motherboard and replace it with something lower power. I wonder whether an x9scl plus a M5015 will be less power. I would like to cut that 70 at least in half if I am going to have it running 24x7

That seems high. Right now with mine idle I'm pulling 70w with 2x L5640, 6x8GB RAM and 8x 2.5" SSDs. It is low voltage (1.35v) RAM, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

I did notice it idled closer to 80w with ESXi. Now with PROXMOX it's down in the lower 70s. So OS may have something to do with it.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
With a single L5630 and 3 dimms populated and a single hard drive I pull 70watt idle. With a second cpu and three more dimms I'm pulling 95 watt.

I'm not sure if I would add a second L5639. The airflow in these chassises is not very good without an airshaft and they do get really hot even with L5630.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Yes there's a single riser card for an x16 slot.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I just bought a CISCO UCS to use with my Lenovo DAS but now I'm wondering if I should connect my DAS to this setup so my UCS server wouldn't have to run all the time.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just bought another one. Offered $75, seller countered $85. These are nice little severs suitable for many uses and they're quiet for a 1U. Even after adding 2 additional 40mm fans it's still really quiet. I'm using it to run my IP cams via Blue Iris and it's not even breaking a sweat, even with frame rates cranked up.

Reactions: Patrick