HP P410 Controller : How do you get notification of failed drive?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

g725s

Aug 3, 2013
I installed an HP P410 RAID controller in my HP N40L ProLiant MicroServer. My OS is WHS 2011.

But I see no way of getting notification of a drive failure other than having to manually open the HP Array Configuration Utility software yourself.

In the P410 manual it talks about using HP Systems Insight Manager. I've looked into this and was wondering if anyone has used this software. Especially in a WHS 2011 environment on a MicroServer.

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
well it throws event log which you can forward.

it also installs a web app on server o/s windows.

esxi uses cim provider to show you health

or you could poll hpacucli since it takes commands from the cli

g725s

Aug 3, 2013
well it throws event log which you can forward.

it also installs a web app on server o/s windows.

esxi uses cim provider to show you health

or you could poll hpacucli since it takes commands from the cli
"it throws event log which you can forward"

How is this done exactly?

"it also installs a web app on server o/s windows."

it did not automatically install a web app on WHS 2011 when I installed the card in my MicroServer. What are you talking about here exactly? Are you talking about the HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) ?

And the last two you mention also sound like french to me , how are they related to using this card in a WHS 2011 / MicroServer environment?

Last edited:

g725s

Aug 3, 2013
Last edited:

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Google this: HP Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service

All the drivers/firmware/software can be found here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...83890&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4064#78214

The only things you should need aside from Drivers/Firmware are the Event Notification Service and maybe the Array Configuration Utility (ACU).

System Insight Manager is an enterprise data center management solution. Huge application and very expensive. Not something you even want to get into.

You can look into the System Management Home Page though I'm not sure if that will install on non HP servers. You could also install the foundation agent: HP Insight Foundation which is an agent piece of the System Insight Management. It would at least send event to the event viewer. However, the Event Notification Server is all you should need.

Last edited:

g725s

Aug 3, 2013
Google this: HP Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service

All the drivers/firmware/software can be found here: HP Smart Array P410 ControllerÂ*-Â* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

The only things you should need aside from Drivers/Firmware are the Event Notification Service and maybe the Array Configuration Utility (ACU).

System Insight Manager is an enterprise data center management solution. Huge application and very expensive. Not something you even want to get into.

You can look into the System Management Home Page though I'm not sure if that will install on non HP servers. You could also install the foundation agent: HP Insight Foundation which is an agent piece of the System Insight Management. It would at least send event to the event viewer. However, the Event Notification Server is all you should need.
Thanks for the help mattr,

But that version (file cp020548.exe) on the P410 webpage will not install on my MicroServer with WHS 2011. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
You could virtualize the server or use server 2008R2 or 2012 those support server drivers/apps.

godol

Sep 12, 2013
Thanks for the help mattr,

But that version (file cp020548.exe) on the P410 webpage will not install on my MicroServer with WHS 2011. Any ideas?
I was going through the same issue with HP N40L Microserver with WHS2011 and HP P410 - Array was up and running but I couldn't be notified if something went wrong.
Eventually I have followed procedure to install PRTG Network Monitor. This is very clever and versatile soft that monitors your server including raid controller.
Now, whenever there is a status change within an array I receive SMS text massage and e-mail.
In fact I have received text last week when I have updated P410 firmware to 6.0B. Before I was notified when I have added fourth 3TB drive to my array and another one when it has been successfully expanded. Clever soft.

Follow what is decried in this thread from the link down below.
Guide - HP Proliant MicroServer & P410 Smart Array Controller | AVForums.com - UK Online