Retail E5-2697v2 out already

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jgreco

Sep 7, 2013
Fun with Xeon E5

Saw this comment on the main site (thanks to the bottom comments): http://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e5-2697-v2-12-core-ivy-bridge-ep-benchmarks/#comment-44637

Is jgreco on the forums? Want to see how he got one.
I wasn't on the forums, STH is mostly a read-only site for me. I mostly spend my time over at the FreeNAS forums and a few other fun places.

Ingram Micro has them in stock. That means any of dozens of Internet retailers who drop ship from them will have them available. The cheapest one I'm seeing right now is

Intel BX80635E52697V2 Xeon E5-2697 Lga2011 2.7ghz - 30mb Boxed :

I noticed that Ingram was showing 10/10/10 availability on Labor Day. So I said "wtf" and ordered one, because either I'd get one or there would be other fun to be had. Interestingly enough they're still showing 10/9/10, so I guess we're the only site that's ordered one. I figured that it was quite possible that a bunch of major hosting companies would have PO's ready and that availability would go to zero for the next half a year.

Notes:

1) It arrived in a bubblewrap bag.

2) The Intel Corp. box was crushed on one side.

3) You would think that for a >$2000 item that Ingram could put it in a fsckin' box.

I was unable to get Ubuntu to boot a LiveCD in 64-bit mode on the machine. The 32 bit edition boots fine but is compiled for 8 cores. So the test results that appeared on Geekbench3 were under a hypervisor.

I did some other testing with it under Geekbench, see the 2697 results posted under my username.

jgreco's Profile - Geekbench Browser

The most surprising thing was how cleanly it appeared to scale. Normally, there's some degradation in performance as number of cores increases. Looking at result 48030 for the Xeon E5-2609, a single core scores 2128 but all four runs only to 7293. You see that to a lesser extent for the 2697 in result 49189 which is more or less what I expected, but upon running on a 24 core VM, I will note that 2744 * 12 (real cores) is 32908 and Geekbench pulled 32309.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Great info. I can't remember where but I've heard of this before. Now.... $2.6k each.

jgreco

Sep 7, 2013
jgreco, I see you rank highly in the Multi-core geekbench
Well, there are all those 2687W results, but of course those are all dual sockets, and about a dozen of them seem to be for the same system. The 2697 would appear to be top-of-the-charts for a single socket system.

Were I to pop another 2697v2 on the board, I think it is clear that we could see a result of 60,000+ appear, but sadly, that's not likely to happen. We acquired the dual board because it had an LSI2208 and 10GbE integrated, at an overall low cost.

We've got three E3-1230 nodes I wanted to try consolidating. They usually seem to run shy on memory, sometimes also CPU. I didn't want to take a severe hit in terms of frequency; the 3.2GHz E3 part is sometimes a little uncomfortably slow as it is. As you know, that doesn't translate well to E5 options. The 2687W at 3.1GHz could have been a candidate, but losing four cores and going to a TDP outside the 135W the board was designed for was deemed a bad idea. That really only left the E5-2690, or maybe a pair of E5-2643's. And I was a bit uncomfortable with that since it would be a 1/3 reduction in cores over the trio of E3-1230's, so it might well have ended up being a pair of E5-2690's.

But by the time we finished with the base platform, it was getting to be April anyways, so I decided to wait a bit and see if Intel was looking to come out with anything compelling for Xeon Ivy.

So in the end, the new E5-2690v2 (10 core, 3GHz) looked extremely compelling, but the 2697v2 (12 core, 2.7 GHz) was also very interesting. Since tech specs hadn't been released, it made for a difficult comparison, but in the end, 12 * 2.7 = 32.4 and 10 * 3.0 = 30, and we'll have to hope the turbo boosts are similar.

Anyways, I still feel that the 2697v2 was a good choice. From a capex point of view, two E5-2690's would have been more expensive, and from an opex point of view, the 2697 is probably the best choice for reduced power consumption and cooling.

jgreco

Sep 7, 2013
Very exciting indeed.
Yes, you sound very excited. Heh.

It appears that these are now generally available, with at least a hundred available through the usual distributors. As expected some hosting shops have been picking them up. I have been casually monitoring availability and now see movement in the available units, so someone's buying them.

After having done relatively light work with our unit, I can say that it is fast and pleasant to work with. I had seen some negative comment somewhere - I thought here, but I don't see it now - about the cost per GHz being substantially higher than other Xeon E5 v2 Ivy's. While that is strictly true if you look exclusively at the cost of the CPU itself, the obvious problem is that the CPU itself is worthless without a system to put it in. Looking at the cost of the rest of the system (~$1200 chassis, ~$700 system board, ~$1000 RAM, ~$2500 storage, etc) it isn't quite as out of line. The potential for being able to drop a second CPU in there if there's ever a need is fantastic, too.