C6100 (DCS) - No remote console.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi

Has anyone come across any C6100 nodes where they could not get a remote console from the IPMI web interface to start. The page is there but the link is not active where I would usually click for the Java Console.

The nodes have old MegaRac firmware and a BMC update to the current version went in fine but didn't fix the issue.

A BIOS update warns of an incompatible motherboard. This unit is definitively a DCS version as there is not mezzanine socket on the board.

Anyone know of any workarounds / fixes ?

Cheers
RB

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've had this exact symptom after certain browser updates. The current Firefox (r22 I think) is broken and causes this behavior. ie won't work because you can't override the expired certificate.

Try it in Chrome and see if that gets it working for you.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I've had this exact symptom after certain browser updates. The current Firefox (r22 I think) is broken and causes this behavior. ie won't work because you can't override the expired certificate.

Try it in Chrome and see if that gets it working for you.
It is working for my C6100 nodes just not the ones in this particular server for some strange reason. I am using Chrome at the moment especially as IE will not let me choose to ignore the cert expiry issue. I have not tried any Firefox versions yet though.

Thanks
RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
No real update.

The ASpeed firmware has been updated to no effect on the Java.

Could it be Java that is blocking the link rather than the browser due to very old certs ?.

I know next to nothing about Java so have no idea on this.

Where are the certs stored (BMC / BIOS / elsewhere) and how can they be renewed ?.

Can the remote console downloads from other nodes be modified to talk to these nodes instead ?.

Thanks
RB

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
No real update.

The ASpeed firmware has been updated to no effect on the Java.

Could it be Java that is blocking the link rather than the browser due to very old certs ?.

I know next to nothing about Java so have no idea on this.

Where are the certs stored (BMC / BIOS / elsewhere) and how can they be renewed ?.

Can the remote console downloads from other nodes be modified to talk to these nodes instead ?.

Thanks
RB
From when I looked the Java applet required a key generated by the Web page/bmc. So the button is there in the page? Can try looking at the source of the page on a working c6100 and see if you can finagle it.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Good point although when I tried running an old jviewer in my download folder in the past it said it was no longer valid so I suspect a token / cookie is generated with a timeout...

Well worth a try though. Good call.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Well it seems the remote console button is disables dependant on the Aspeed chip on the motherboard.

If you have the AST1100 chip then the button will be disabled. If you have the AST2050 then it is all good. These boards have the AST1100 chips.

Interestingly, if you login to the console on one tab and then run the link to open the console in another tab (copy / paste) then the console does come up and you can view but do little else.

RB