aux atx motherboard adapter and HSF help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Hey everyone,

I just bought this board for a new build but my ATX psu only has 1 (I think) aux atx connector. What would you guys suggest to get the dual connectors it needs.

Also I thought 1366 mounting was standard on desktop and server boards but I was mistaken. The standard 1366 intel hsf's I got off of ebay won't fit the mounting bracket that is on the board. Any suggestions on quiet but effective HSFs, I'm only cooling L5520s and will probably get newer HSFs if I upgrade to beefier cpus, still I don't want them to get any hotter than they have to.

Here's the listing of the motherboard: Supermicro Dual Socket LGA 1366 CPU Xeon Motherboard X8DTE F B 0672042053131 | eBay

It's a supermicro X8DTE-F-B

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
I'm guessing you want an active not passive CPU cooler?, personally I would go with a supermicro based active cooler such as:
SNK-P0040AP4
SNK-P0036A4 (Basically a nidec stock intel cooler)
SNK-P0035AP4

As the backplates are bound to fit your board properly and are decent coolers/backplates.

What chassis is it?.

Also regarding the PSU, I wouldn't recommend splitting a AUX ATX cable, especially without thoroughly checking what the amperage is on that rail, most PSU's use a separate rail for each AUX ATX supply or have designed it with enough capability if it's on a single rail.

How many PCIe graphics power connectors does it have, as that gives an indication of how powerful the rails are, if you're not running any high power PCIe graphics card's then there might be enough amps left on the rail/rails.

Last edited:

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
This goes with the same logic of not making an 8-pin out of a 4-pin 12V connector - you shouldn't make a 16-pin out of an 8-pin because it could melt.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
thanks for the tips.

Looks like I'll get the SNK-P0040AP4.

So it seems like I should offload this desktop PSU and get a server grade one with the proper setup. suggestions?

The current ATX psu I have is a thermaltake 1kw one

it's not in a chassis I just bought the board from ebay

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
thanks for the tips.

Looks like I'll get the SNK-P0040AP4.

So it seems like I should offload this desktop PSU and get a server grade one with the proper setup. suggestions?

The current ATX psu I have is a thermaltake 1kw one

it's not in a chassis I just bought the board from ebay
I would definitely change the psu. Some boards won't even boot unless its a server psu. The psu is the most important part to any system and often gets overlooked. If they go wrong they can take everything out.

What are your requirements and plan for this build? Take a look at the suoermicro SC732 chassis, good value for money and good psu's. And make sure whatever chassis you go for can take a dual CPU (DP)

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
Supermicro only lists the motherboard's compatibility with 550 watt and higher power supplies on their web page, if that matters for anything

I would bet you end up with an 865W power supply if you buy the 865W model, even though the description was copy and pasted from another entry.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I have that board's big brother (X8DAH). You'll be fine with a 500W PSU unless you go with totally hot 150W CPUs like the X5690 (and unless a miracle happens you probably won't have those).

The real trick is finding the 2nd CPU power connector. There are few PSUs below 1000W that include them. But its all 12V power so if you get a gamers PSU with healthy power for graphics cards you can always mod a 12v connector for it.

Last edited:

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
You'll be fine, the PWS-865-PQ power supply that's coming in your case is officially supported for that motherboard (it comes with SC743TQ-865B that is an officially supported chassis for that motherboard)

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Rotatable 4x hard drive bay for easier access, drives slide in without screws on the D2 versions. The 733 is ugly I think lol. "I" always means intergrated fixed drives with supermicro, "T" means SATA/SAS hotswap backplane, "Q" means support for graphics cards, "D" means 90° rotatable drive bay pull out drives non hot-swap, easy access screwless no backplane. "2" Means front audio, "4" means front Audio/firewire/ 2xUSB 3.0 2xUSB 2.0. Last four digits mean PSU wattage and Case colour.

Amazon has wrong pictures for both 500w versions

Last edited: